Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #29
Damon Owners Club
I have 75,000 miles on my 08 ISC, which I purchased new
in 2009. The only repair I have had is a turbo speed sensor,
for $ 350.00.
BUT, I am religious on maintenance, preventive maintenance
and Mobil One synthetic lubricants.
You have to stick to the maintenance schedule
from Cummins based on time/mileage, without exception.
Likely $ 800 to $1,200 a year in maintenance is what you
should expect.
If you are buying used, you would have to have complete
maintenance records from a profession diesel repair facility.
Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #30
I too was nervous about a diesel because I had a friend whose engine ingested the turbo. So I bought a service contract for $4k. I'm glad I did that. The fan bracket broke and it cost about $10k to fix it. It has also paid for an awning motor, a new toilet, a new thermostat, and a new blower motor in the basement air. My out of pocket aside from the cost of the policy so far is about $1500.
So if you're nervous like I was spend a bit more for a good service contract and sleep well.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #31
Macandphyl hit it on the head. Maintenance is the BIG key. We have owned Gas and Diesel and we know from expirence that maintenance is the key. Our gas was a 88 Fleetwood Southwind 454 auto. We put 21K over 4 years and we only had to tune it, change the oil ,and replace the tires. The coach was well maintained. We upgraded to a DP was told by the owner all maintenance had always been done. 6 weeks after we bought the RV we had to put replace the CAT 330 HP diesel due to ??, you guessed it 'Lack of Maintenance. We would definitely buy another diesel but would also get it checked out by a top notch mechanic.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #32
I just love the conversation around buying a DP because they ride soooooo much better than a gas coach. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but we have put 4000 miles and over 60 days enjoying our new gasser in 4 months, and I have no problem with the ride or pulling our Jeep. Ask how many of the people pontificating how great a DP is have owned or even driven a gasser built In the last 5 years........

If you need to tow a larger vehicle / trailer, need more than a 36 footer, or drive TENS of thousands of miles a year, I get the need.

But, think about this; you said you will drive 6,000 miles a year, at 50mph that is all of 120 hours vs. the entire 8 weeks you said you will be on the road which is 1344 hours. Along those same lines, I love seeing all the 10 or 15 year old DPs for sale that have been driven less 5000 miles a year on average.... Yep, one trip from home to FL, sit 6 months, FL to home and sit 6 months. And the ride quality was a really a decision criteria?

And I get an entry level gasser is no comparison to a DP, even an older one on many levels; but newer brings a lot of nice things, and the fear mongering over buying a new(er) coach is soooo over blown vs. the costs and down time maintaining, and upgrading an older coach. And a new higher end gasser can be just as nice inside as a DP these days, less maybe a bit of glitz.

Again, years ago maybe it was that big of a deal, and years ago, the DPs were more suited to long term living vs. Gassers that were (and some still are) more geared to occasional use.

If you find a newer gasser that mets your needs, I see no reason to get a diesel........ We are really enjoying our new gasser, and have no second thoughts about our decision.
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
1995 Monaco Dynasty
32' B5.9 Banks, 6 speed Alison 3060
2008 HHR Panel toad
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Any Motorhome gas or diesel, new or old can bring you a multiple thousand dollar repair. Don't kid your self. You need to plan for that so it doesn't upset the financial applecart.

Let your choice of amenities drive your MH purchase. If you like Aqua Hot and Air leveling, I don't know of a single gas MH that has them. If they aren't on your radar then pick a MH that works for you. That MH has an engine that will move it up and down the road just fine. The whole gas/diesel thing is mostly a red herring for a new owner. Do a fluid analysis to make sure and avoid obvious problems, maintenance records can give some insight into condition also.

If it makes you rest easy get a warranty, although, in 42 years of owning vehicles I've never had a repair that cost more than the warranty.

Look at them all, make your own decision and enjoy the search!
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It wouldn't hurt to know something about what you want to buy... gas or diesel ... study lots of good info on line . Most problems I've seen with diesels the PMs weren't done.
1995 Monaco Dynasty
2008 HHR Panel toad
Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #36
Diesel pusher costs

I have a 2005 Cat diesel pusher that I have had for the last 4 years and 24k miles with no problems. Just make sure it's been taken care of prior to you owning it and maintain it by the book when you own it and it will probably give you unlimited trouble free miles.
2005 CCInspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #37
I have a ISB 5.9 and wish like hell we had bought a gasser instead. We have had 3 issues with the ISB and everyone of them cost $1000. each time, or dang close to it. We had a Triton V10 in our first coach and all we did was change the oil.
2004 Newmar Kountry Star Diesel Pusher, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 4 Viszla's .
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #38
Again, thanks for all the replies.

The replies confirm my impression that it can go either way with a diesel; years of use with just basic maintenance, or exorbitant repair bills out of the blue. The risk factor is (much?) larger than with the ford gas engine we had until a few weeks ago (went up in flames..).

I agree that maintenance is important, and it will most likely reduce the risk considerably. However, some research on the net shows that age or mileage on the engine is not a major factor in failure rates. Most of these major failures seem to occur within the first 100K miles. In fact, most 8-10 year old coaches have less than 50K miles on them.

Initially we were looking at a 2014-15 Excursion, but a local diesel shop advised us to avoid the pollution control software if at all possible. The next thought was a 06-07 journey and have the interior/floor updated. We want to stay under 34-35’.

An older diesel without complete maintenance records and a service contract would be a big gamble. Since I am not a mechanic, I’ll need a service contract for as long as I’ll own the coach, which is another $1000+ per year.

The question now is: do I spend a few thousand per year extra on maintenance and a warranty, or do I use that money to buy a (almost) new high end gasser and maybe install a Kelderman suspension….

No, I am not ‘prone to excessive worrying’… but maybe just cheap…. I like to be rational when making long term decisions, which is not easy when it comes to motorhomes.

By the way, our ‘entry level’ Fleetwood class A handled great with the Konis and track bar, better than the class C we had previously. The next coach should be another step up.
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 35P
2002 Volkswagen Beetle on a eze-tow dolly
RndmTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:52 AM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have put over 800,000 miles on 5.9 cummins replaced three starters, filters, fuel and oil is all .. Just lucky I guess ...
1995 Monaco Dynasty
2008 HHR Panel toad
Old 08-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #40
The world is full of what if we just have to ake the best decisions we can. Gassers aren't going to run a fraction of miles a diesel will. There is a recent post a member bought a used gasser and put 600 miles on it and it blow. Things are going to happen to both you just hope the bad things don't happen to you. Do your homework on which ever you decide and don't let what if make your decision or you want buy what you really want.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #41
95% of all commercial trucks in the US are Diesel. Doesn't that say something about the reliability and power of the diesel engine?
Remember nobody starts a thread that says just came back from a trip out west and my well maintained Diesel ran without a hitch. The only posts you see are the horror stories. Consider the number of horror stories you read compared to the number of DP's on the road and you'll see that they are a very, very small percentage. I own a 2002 Holiday Rambler 40 ft Diesel Pusher and wouldn't trade it for anything. Well unless a newer bigger DP rig with more slides came to me at a really good price, Always looking.
agood01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I think you have answered your question.
Reading this it just seems a gasser will suit you better.
Then in a few years try something different.

TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, repair, repairs, engine