Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The problem is not with the Schwintek "idea" by itself which makes perfect sense from a mechanical perspective, but rather in how they move it. I have replaced numerous motors, shafts and the "gear tracks" that are mounted on the outside of the slide.

In almost each and every case premature gear/track failure has been due to some sort of debris getting stuck in the tracks that the worm gear engages with. Usually this debris is part of the weatherseal around the perimeter of the room that gets caught and chewed up. In 2 cases is has been due to the system ingesting a fastening screw that had pulled loose after the weatherseal became lodged in the track and pulled everything out.

In several cases the mounting screw that pins the motor and prevents from spinning around and around has sheared off causing it to wrap up the wiring harness and shred it. Harnesses are not easy to replace in these.

The connector they use to connect the motor to the controller at the motor side is a small flat very fragile connector. The slightest tug on the wiring and the wires pull out of the connector. Unfortunately, this connector is positioned right behind the weatherseal bulb on the inside that the room opens against to create a tight seal. It doesn't take many cycles for it to completely smash the connector.

The problems you describe are due to poor design and inadequate materials; not "how" the system works. There are numerous other posts attributing failure to motors too weak for the weight, aluminum shafts that twist and bend, gears that disintegrate, etc., etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #16

Is that not what I said? LOL
Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Is that not what I said? LOL
Sorry if I'm picking "nits"; but right now I have a headache!!! Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #18

Thanks to all for the information. A recap of the comments appears to indicate: the system works well for the first 15 or 20 times then self destructs; the system works well on the smaller slides but not the larger or full wall slides; the system fails more often when moving the kitchen slide with refrigerator, stove, microwave, sink, fireplace, etc. Someone said they have a part gear motor, part hydraulic slide that was working? Is this the way Thor and Schwintek are moving? If so would this be an acceptable modification that may be dependable? My hydraulic system works well. If anyone knows of a web site showing past and current schwintek installation pictures please let me know. If no changes I guess my 2007 Forest River Georgetown 373 will go another 10,000 miles before I look to trade! Thanks Glen
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On 2015 Mirimar and Palazzo models they are putting a third track on the full wall slides. Haven't heard yet if this has solved the issues they were having with the Lippert Schwintek system on the big slides.

2015 Mirimar 34.3 with three track slide system
aarong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide