Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Schwintek Lippert slides

Hi everyone, I have been watching this site for a number of years. I seldom ask a question however, I do have one now. We are looking at purchasing a new Tuscany or Berkshire this spring. I assume either unit will have Lippert slide mechanisms. My history with Lippert is my 2007 FR Georgetown 373 (55,000 miles) with (2) 16' hydraulic slides. Never had a slide problem but replaced hoses as they deteriorated. Now I know there are +/-50,000 Class A & C motorhomes built every year, so how many really have problems? If I just read the slide comments I would never purchase anything with Schwintek systems. So, do we just hear about the problems and never about the units working well. Help! I am on the fence and do not want to invest that much money and buy a future problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

We have 4 slides with the lippert system. Three are hydraulic slides and the other mechanical. All worked fine until last trip. One bedroom slide jammed against the ceiling. Right now it is in for repair. They are telling me that the bolts that lippert used were to small and they sheared. Parts and labor running around $800. to repair.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the schwintek motors on two slides but really prefer the hydraulic slide we also have. The lippert schwintek ones seem slow and sometimes we have to push the last couple inches in to get it sealed.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am sure there are many owners with the Schwintek systems that have no problems and are happy but most problems with slides posted on the Forums are with these systems. For me the Schwintek system would be a deal breaker. I've had good luck with PowerGear system and would pay more to have it again
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Howdy!

We fullltime and I have not heard of anyone not having problems with the schwinteh slide motors. My neighor has a two year old Redwood with four slides with them. He is giving up and selling his 5er because of them. We just did our reseach before ordered a new Cyclone 4000 elite TH. It has hydrulic slides and one manuel which is cable driven. As stated before anything with schwintek slide was a deal breaker.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Hope the mods don't mind because this is on another board But Before you make a decision please read this thread,RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I was an IDIOT for buying a Thor Palazzo!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

I wish we didn't make are purchase with these slide problems!!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
I would guess the question may when and for how long will they stand up to use, this link may answer some of your question.
Some people do not have some of the problems of late.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

Schwintek is ok, just kind of unnecessary troubles. Works fine on small planes.

Cable systems suck. Bulky set ups, a pain when they break, and no advantage over Schwintek.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please...do some research before the roast fest starts again.

EDIT...See 007's post above...EDIT

I understand Thor and Lippert are working through these issues and 2014.5 models being built now should not have the issues.

But, current owners are stuck with poor responses from dealer...adding insult to injury. I don't mean to sound as if I am making excuses...just hoping to help future buyers make good decisions...like if it were me buying a early 2014 model year Palazzo, I would demand the dealer show me the slide drives were upgraded or I would move on to a dealer with newer stock.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were warned!

We are on our first motorhome and it has two Schwintek slides. When we took delivery in November '12 the dealer tech doing the walk through with us made a comment about getting an extended service plan if we intend to keep the coach more than a couple of years. He said the slides would be a problem...not a question of "if"; but "when". We did take his advice about the service plan and have already had the coach back to the factory to deal with a problem with the main slide.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just check the conversation on the Thor Palazzo owners forum. Lots and lots of post.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #13

The problem is not with the Schwintek "idea" by itself which makes perfect sense from a mechanical perspective, but rather in how they move it. I have replaced numerous motors, shafts and the "gear tracks" that are mounted on the outside of the slide.

In almost each and every case premature gear/track failure has been due to some sort of debris getting stuck in the tracks that the worm gear engages with. Usually this debris is part of the weatherseal around the perimeter of the room that gets caught and chewed up. In 2 cases is has been due to the system ingesting a fastening screw that had pulled loose after the weatherseal became lodged in the track and pulled everything out.

In several cases the mounting screw that pins the motor and prevents from spinning around and around has sheared off causing it to wrap up the wiring harness and shred it. Harnesses are not easy to replace in these.

The connector they use to connect the motor to the controller at the motor side is a small flat very fragile connector. The slightest tug on the wiring and the wires pull out of the connector. Unfortunately, this connector is positioned right behind the weatherseal bulb on the inside that the room opens against to create a tight seal. It doesn't take many cycles for it to completely smash the connector.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Please...do some research before the roast fest starts again.

EDIT...See 007's post above...EDIT

I understand Thor and Lippert are working through these issues and 2014.5 models being built now should not have the issues.

But, current owners are stuck with poor responses from dealer...adding insult to injury. I don't mean to sound as if I am making excuses...just hoping to help future buyers make good decisions...like if it were me buying a early 2014 model year Palazzo, I would demand the dealer show me the slide drives were upgraded or I would move on to a dealer with newer stock.

Safe travels to all
How do you know that the upgrade is going to work better? The companies' R & D is us, the end user.

Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide