Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Yes the wash board zigzag. From the outside I just pulled the seal away gentally and sprayed with the red sprayer tube
(Included with the lube). I did bend it, 90 degree (some what) . I was not precise or exact, just sprayed around some. Like 3 seconds on each gib/wheel rail intersect. The small can of lube is plenty for doing that job many times over if needed. I plain on doing it once in the spring before the season.

2012 Thor ACE. 29.1
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #16
If you pull the corner rubber seals back, you'll see what the picture shows. The bearing block that runs along the rack on the end of the slide. The bearing block holds the pinion gear that moves the rack, or slide in and out.
The bearing block sets on two gibs, one on each side of the V-wheel, and can move slightly, as the slide is extended or retracted, if the slide is not perfectly square and true.
The gib is attached to a rail that attaches to the coach wall and does not move.
All the white residue is the PTFE dry lubricant that was sprayed on the bearing block and gib.
The movement of the bearing block on the gib and movement of the pinion gear on the rack is where the creaking comes from.
You can't stop the movement, but you can lube it so you don't have to listen to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide gib.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	130175  

2015 Itasca Sunstar 36Y w/2012 CRV toad
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
That's a great photo, thanks!
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club

Great photo - for orientation, is that the bottom, left corner of that slide? (Standing outside, facing the slide?)

Thanks for finally clearing this issue up in my head.
2014 Itasca 27n
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #19
Standing outside, looking at the slide, that would the lower left hand corner in the picture, and the top right hand corner of the picture is the bottom of the slide.
2015 Itasca Sunstar 36Y w/2012 CRV toad
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
Hey Alan, I think there is a beer in your future!

The wife and I took a trip this last week and I had applied lubrication to the inside gib of my slide before we left. The change was significant. I was not able to apply the lube to the outside of the track but will next. I have a feeling applying the lube to both sides will completely take care of the noise.

Will have to figure out how I am going to make good on that beer.

You're the MAN!

21' Apex TT to 31' Class A
2016 Winnebago Vista 31ke, toad - 2011 FJ Cruiser
Mike, aka: Chance, CP: Irene
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #21
Sounds like a "Road Trip" coming up.
Really amazing how a little lube can make the ride so much more enjoyable.

One other thing I didn't mention was that I lubed the whole length of the racks when the slides were out. That gets lube where the pinion gear sets when the slide is in.
Also I lubed the grove above the rack gear, where the bearing block "hook" slides along as the slide moves.

After a ride or two, my theory for the Schwintek slide is: if there's an area that parts moves, lube it.

Glad to hear of your success. Many happy quiet miles ahead.

driver, slide