Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Scissor jacks?

I have a 2001 Mirada class A motor home that does not have the automatic levelers. I have a gross weight of 17000 pounds on the motor home full to capacity. We are considering putting 4 scissor jacks, one on each corner. Thinking about 7500 pound jacks that come up to 24 inches, for leveling the motor home, and possibly stabalize it. My feeling is to mount them permanently by bolting them on. Up until now, I have been driving up onto ramps that I made out of planks I screwed together. Worked fairly well, just looking for an easier way due to a bad back. Interested in any input. Thanks
Jim418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been considering doing the same thing...anxious to see the responses...good question!
wrongwayknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been toying with this idea as well - I'll tag along and see what folks have to say.
I have the Workhorse P32 chassis at a little over 14,000 lbs..
One of my friends welded old car bumper jacks (upside down) on the 4 corners of his Toyota Class C - works well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

In theory it should work. The one problem with scissors jacks is that the farther they are extended the less stability they have. My daughter & SIL have that setup on their TT and use a power drill to extend them but they aren't anywhere near as high off the ground as a MH would be.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

I had a friend that had them on a Class C, however, he would level the coach and use the jacks as stabilizers.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As stabilizers...YES, as levelers Nope.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
x2 on stabilizing not lifting...wont work...keep your planks
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You won't be able to lift very far with the scissor jacks I use a bottle jack to get where its level, then use scissors. I haven't bolted mine on yet(another project) it had some wimpy ones from factory that were rusted solid I have the 30 inch 7500lbs ones they are great and I know they are not overloaded. I have used these on my current RV as well as my old one they worked great on the old one. I would get under and make sure you by the right size my old rv the frame was almost 20 inches off the ground 24's would not have done me much good for leveling.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed these on the front of my old Bounder 28T.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Powertwin II Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer PT II-22

I was going to put some in the rear too, but sold it before that. The front to me was the one that got used the most. I can tell that these are very strong and stable. I was able to lift the front wheels of the ground, although I would not recommend this to work on the MH.
I will see if I still have some pictures of the install. I added switches on the dash with warning lights to tell me if the jacks (Left and Right) were up or down with safety contact switches.
Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I mounted a pair of 5000# jacks on my '87 Pace Arrow 34' and used to stabilize it after leveling with boards. They worked out fine, although I really didn't use them that often because the MH was sprung solid enough. Eddie Elk.
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As others stated, they don't have the power to lift your coach. I had them on the rear of my Class C several years ago. You'll still have to level the coach on boards and then use the jacks to stabilize.

There is another way, but still requires the boards. On my old "C", I bolted the scissor jacks to the frame by spacing them away from other components with a piece of square tubing between the jack and the frame. I would run the coach up on boards so that the rear was higher than the front and as level as possible. I would then lower the jacks to support the rear end. They were capable of doing some side to side leveling. Once they were set, I used a small 5 ton jack and lifted the frame just behind the front bumper until the coach was level. This would put a load on the rears and keep the coach stable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

There are manual jacks that are rated strong enough to lift rather than just stabilize, but make sure that's what you are getting. BAL has a 7500 lb rated scissor jack, so four of those ought to be able to lift several inches anyway

Scissor Jacks for your RV - PPL Motor Homes
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As stabilizers...YES, as levelers Nope.
Agree, unless they have scissor jacks that are more than stabilizers...stabilize is all they will do. And, they don't do that very well.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks