Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Scooter Carrier

Have a 44 ft Entegra with a toad and would like a scooter carrier for the fear of he coach. Weight should not be a problem as the scooters combined are less than 140 lbs. How does the tow bar work since the scouter carrier goes into the receiver?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink2day View Post
Have a 44 ft Entegra with a toad and would like a scooter carrier for the fear of he coach. Weight should not be a problem as the scooters combined are less than 140 lbs. How does the tow bar work since the scouter carrier goes into the receiver?

Go and look on the Entegra Owners forum section. There is a thread there on a Hydrolift that would help you.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

I use one of these Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
And use a motorcycle carrier to haul a small motorcycle.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink2day View Post
blink2day,
Well, first off, even with two "scooters" (assuming you mean 2 by the word "scooter(s)") you don't need a Hydralift. That would be like buying a Kenworth tractor to haul a 15' travel trailer. Now, you say the combined weight would be less than 140 lbs., correct? 70 lbs, each??? Not much of a scooter but, I don't follow those things so, I don't know how they're constructed.

Now, without seeing what they look like, how large or, long they are, a real accurate answer is tougher to give. It has been suggested that a "dual" receiver could be used. Well, if it was like the one in the link, it's possible. But, you'd have to insure that, whatever kind of carrier that would fit into the upper receiver would have ABSOLUTELY no interference with any portion of the tow bar, it's actions while towing and anything else.

That would mean you'd have to have those scooters and the carrier that they reside on, fairly high in order to make sure there's no possibility of contact of that carrier, by the tow bar as you enter dips or, dips AND turns in fueling stations, parking lots, campgrounds etc. You see, that's where your angles increase immensely, during those maneuvers.

Then, you have the problem of the difficulty in either removing one or both , while the toad is hooked up. At least those are some of the problems I'm seeing in your potential setup. If you don't have any problem lifting them to a higher elevation to lodge onto the carrier, if it's in fact in a dual receiver, and you NEVER plan on either installing them or removing them with the toad hooked up, then it might just work for you.

Now, if in fact the combined weight of the TWO scooters is only 140 lbs or so, then even if you have a really small, light weight toad, a receiver can be installed on that toad and, let it be the hauler of the scooters. That way they're not in the way of any action of the tow bar. They won't hinder any connecting or disconnecting of said tow bar, cables, pig tail etc.

And, the really good part, (to me anyway) is that they don't have to be lifted all that high, to put them on the carrier. Don't know if any of this jibberish is helping you or not but, after carrying a monster Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on a carrier (Hydralift) and encountering many issues, I'm always looking for simpler, easier ways out of problems. I may not always find those easier and simpler ways but, I give it a try.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Now Scott. I bought her a 650 burgman and I put it on a 8" wide channel 7' long. I am using the three 2" receivers that are on back of MY coach ( I installed two brackets on the frame rails)

I have a adaptor on end of the center bar and I still pull the K1500 4x4 GMC. I did put in side to side reinforcing brace to I do not get sway.

It is easy to load scooter I just air up left and drop right then use small ramp and stand on ground and run it up. I am taking just scooter to Canada next month so I am way down on weight and I can back up wow....

Much less effort than the wing. I still have a old rampage lift for pickup for sale in branson set up for 2 wheel or trike.

Enjoy Don
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Now Scott. I bought her a 650 burgman and I put it on a 8" wide channel 7' long. I am using the three 2" receivers that are on back of MY coach ( I installed two brackets on the frame rails)

I have a adaptor on end of the center bar and I still pull the K1500 4x4 GMC. I did put in side to side reinforcing brace to I do not get sway.

It is easy to load scooter I just air up left and drop right then use small ramp and stand on ground and run it up. I am taking just scooter to Canada next month so I am way down on weight and I can back up wow....

Much less effort than the wing. I still have a old rampage lift for pickup for sale in branson set up for 2 wheel or trike.

Enjoy Don
Hey Don,
Long time no talk to. Your "Burgie" weighs just a bit more than "70 lbs." for each of the OPs scooters. Pretty tough for you to just "Lift" it up and place it on the rail like he more than likely will. I'm only guessing here since I've not seen how he's planning on doing this operation. On my last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10, I did something very similar to your operation. Only I just used the single receiver 'cuase the bike I was hauling was only 300 lbs. It was a TW 200 Yamaha. What a great little bike.

Anyway, I built that carrier and, towed our Rubicon Jeep behind it and, never had any issues. But, I'd like to see how the OP here plans on doing his and, some pics of the "Scooters". By the way, I've always kind-of liked the Burgies but, I'm 6'2.5" and 240 and the wife, is not as small as I'd like her to be (to put it lightly and politely) so, I picture the two of us on a Burgie as the same as that guy in Rowan and Martins laugh-in that road the tiny little trike and, would normally fall over. To me, it would look just too small under the both of us.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Harbor Freight has a 500 lb capacity scooter carrier with a ramp for about $150. I use it for my Ariens 28" Snowblower and a Grill, generator and other stuff during the camping season.

http://m.harborfreight.com/aluminum-...ier-67599.html
Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a 2" receiver in your toad you can load up to the 500 lbs. There is an adapter for smaller receivers that can load 350 lbs. Might be easier to add a hitch to your toad if you don't have one now and you won't have to deal with ant tow bar isues.

Tags
scooter