Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Scooter Carrier & Tow Vehicle Rack

This is still the best place to get information from people who have already done what I want to do.
I am looking for a motor scooter carrier that I can mount on the back of my 2007 Winnebago Sightseer (Gas) that also has a 2" receiver hitch built in so that I can also tow my 2012 Ford Focus.
I see setups like this for diesel pushers not for gas powered RV's.
If anyone out there has a set up like this what type of carries/hauler do you use? Thanks to those who can help me out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have been doing my homework on these lately but for a heavy Goldwing. i did see the other day where someone bought the blue ox rack (wt limit 600 lbs) and had it mounted on a front of a gasser and had a burgman scooter riding on it. they had a receiver welded to the front frame. not sure of all of the weight issues on the front, plus where the receiver was welded underneath. just thought i would throw it out there. i had the 4 point weigh doen on my to make sure of all the weight limits on the axles....

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kammer View Post
This is still the best place to get information from people who have already done what I want to do.
I am looking for a motor scooter carrier that I can mount on the back of my 2007 Winnebago Sightseer (Gas) that also has a 2" receiver hitch built in so that I can also tow my 2012 Ford Focus.
If anyone out there has a set up like this what type of carries/hauler do you use? Thanks to those who can help me out.
The issue is that on the Gas powered Class A, there is typically a limit of 500 lbs of tongue weight and the Toad does not contribute to that. This means the scooter and carrier must weigh less than 500 lbs.

The reason that you see more of these on diesel RV's is that their tongue weight limit is higher than 500 lbs, approaching 1,000 lbs.

There are thoughts about increasing the tongue weight limit of the hitches, but this involves re-enforcing the frame extension in the rear, etc, which can turn costly, especially if not done correctly.

The key element is how much does the scooter weigh?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

| Versahaul
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

You might look into a rack for the back of the focus.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kammer View Post
I don't recall the name and can not provide a link, but when I was researching tow dollys I came across a dolly set up that was designed to carry one or two Motorcycles and a toad without exceeding the limit of the receiver on your motor home. Little bigger of course then most tow dollies, but not as big as a car trailer when the toad was off and you could use it just for the Motorcycles without the toad if wanted as I recall.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote