Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 AM   #1

Screwball Kwikee Elect Step

2000 Storm... As I was backing out of my drive way today the damned steps extended and caught on some landscaping. It was supposed to have an ignition override. Looks like the controller went nuts. I'm going to try to straighten things but I'm really wondering if this thing is worth the effort. Any suggestions on which manual steps to replace this mess with?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I recommend checking all electrical connections before replacement. Clean the grounds and look inside the connectors for corrosion.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing to ck is grounds
Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Manual steps are not going to be fun. Not may you can extend from the inside of the coach so that first step will be a big one particularly if you forget to extend them.

The ignition over ride doesn't prevent the steps from extending but will command the retraction even if the door over ride (stay extended when the door is closed) switch is set. Specifics regarding the over ride are on page 3 of the owner pamphlet you can down load here -

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...pg-1422282.pdf

As USMCRET stated check for the connectors specifically the magnetic switch door switch. I can't recall when the switch is closed or made with the door closed or open with the door closed. Another option would be to just wire in a switch to extend or retract the steps rather than relying on the auto system.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
These things are prone to problems quite often as you'll find a post here or over on rv.net almost every day where someone is complaining about them.

Last year when we were getting ready to pull out, I shut the door and started the engine and the steps came in as designed. However, upon pulling out, a neighbor flagged me down as said my steps were out. Stopped, put it in neutral, and applied the parking brake, and I heard the steps come back in. What?

Put it back in gear, released the brake and the steps stayed in. No more problems since then, but I sure don't trust them and I now pay close attention to them whenever we start out.

Ron

On edit, I just found out there is a recall on the Kwikee/Lippert steps. Info can be found here: http://rv-pro.com/news/lippert-recal...ic-entry-steps
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Could be the door switch or maybe the door wasn't closed tightly and when you pulled forward, the door opened slightly causing the steps to extend. When I open my door, the steps extend even if my engine is running. Probably best to to replace with exactly what you had. At least you'll have some spare parts.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been putting off making a repair for this for a while. It would be a simple fix. Run a wire to the steps. Mount a switch with a push button off. adjust it so the the step contacts it when retracted. connect the power to a ignition on source. mount a large red light in the dash. When the engine is running and the steps are out, you would get a red light in the dash.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

In override bypasses the operator switch.

First is verify all connections good and sound.

Second verify door switch good.

Most with magnet has poor magnet that may not be in best spot but there is a great but "fun" fix for this.

Find an old computer hard drive...yard sale thrift store or your own junk box.

Take it apart and inside you will find some super magnets that are very flat and stronger than you think.

They are glued in place so get a knife to pry loose.

Epoxy in place on the door and you will be good.

For extra security you can get an antique hinge pin from a house door (they look better) and with the steps up look for a 1/4 inch hole in the rails that the pin will fit.

Should be another hole when down.

Make a bracket to hang pin near door then when parked insert pin into hole to lock steps down and turn off switch.

Wife did a face plant once on a dark morning when she hit wrong switch with door closed that brought steps in and she did not see them in...did not spill the coffee though....
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

You can rebuild them if you have the time and access to a welder.

We replaced the arms with doubled ones and they work mech better.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have been putting off making a repair for this for a while. It would be a simple fix. Run a wire to the steps. Mount a switch with a push button off. adjust it so the the step contacts it when retracted. connect the power to a ignition on source. mount a large red light in the dash. When the engine is running and the steps are out, you would get a red light in the dash.
I made mine manual. a few relays and two switches. I got tired of all the BS and try this try that and the magic of the door contact. It is really the crappy control module.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the same thing and they caught on a rise of the ground. But I fixed mine with a 8 pound sledge hammer. I'm not mad any more.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
can you post how you redid step with switch and relays thanks
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
can you post how you redid step with switch and relays thanks
I posted the circuit on my blog page. Will post pictures when available.
I put the entire relay package in a PVC box you can purchase at HD in the electrical department for under $12. it is 6x6x4"
Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have to use relays and two switches. There is a switch available that just reverses the power in the switch. When you toggle up the power is on the left and the step retracts when you toggle down, the power is on the right and the power reverses and the steps go out. The switch is about $15.00. I did several coaches for customers who were retired and on fixed incomes.

Tags
kwikee, scr