Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #1

Screwing satellite dish into roof

Does anyone have an experience screwing anything or a satellite dish into the fiberglass roof of a motor home. I have a Yellowstone SE 36' DP. Is there any place special place that has the teeth or is the thickness of the entire roof sufficient?

Neal
Miami Fl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #2

Most satellite dish mounts take your question into account and spread out the load to several fasteners. Below the fiberglass is usually a luan sheet then foam, so any one square inch may have minimal strength. However many fasteners spread out will hold surprisingly large loads.
You may hit aluminum (who knows, even wood or steel) intermediate framing members in some locations. The aluminum is hollow square or rectangular tube. So if you drill a smaller pilot hole you will know what you are hitting and can choose a fastener & installation process accordingly. Most mfgr's I think, used pointed self-drilling screws and spun them in till they started to strip the substrate; a clever installer only did that a few times out of many fasteners; great installers tried not to strip stuff out. Doing your own work, you can take time & care & use the clutch setting on your electric drill to fasteners are snug but not overtightened. Use a fat bead of self-leveling sealant to assure you don't create your own leaks.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have an MotoSAT F1 internet dish and a MotoSAT HD-SL5 HDTV dish on my roof.

Both mounting plates have lots of screws with no attempt to hit supports/rafters.

All holes were predrilled before Dicor Lap Sealant was applied over each hole.

No leaks and nothing has come loose.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Pre-drill fiberglass and never use any kind of self-tapping screw if you are screwing into wood as it will destroy the wood fiber you are hoping to get the threads to bite into.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Screwing into the roof decking is sufficient when installed per the installation instructions. If it makes you feel better; you could also use expanding rivets. Be sure to use butyl tape and then seal the mounting with a self leveling sealant once the area has been cleaned of dirt and grease.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Excuse what may be a dumb question, but what is a "self leveling sealant"?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
Excuse what may be a dumb question, but what is a "self leveling sealant"?
Dicor 501 is a popular one used by many RV manufacturers.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Self leveling sealant means that after you apply it, the sealand will flow and "level out"
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Dicor 501 is a popular one used by many RV manufacturers.
Dicor is the recommended sealant, not silicone for RV applications.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I installed a KVH L3 dome on my Suncruiser, which had a paper thin fiberglass roof. Rather than screws I used 3/16" stainless steel wide flange rivets. Any threaded fastener needs a bit of depth in order to hold so I didn't want to use screws. The rivets expand and knob up and the backside and never pull out. I applied a dab of self-levelling caulk to the bottom of the tab and over the top to deal it off. It held great. I also mounted my solar panels in the same manner. When it came time to transfer them to the next RV I drilled those rivets out and then sealed up the holes.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #11

Before you pilot-drill any holes in to your roof, use a stud finder to locate the frame to secure anything.

Henry.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #12

I have the thin fiberglass roof with plywood behind it ('06 Pursuit by Georgie Boy). Installed a Travel'r antenna per instructions. No problems over 5,000+ miles of travel including some very rough roads. Incidentally, I also ran the cables in white plastic wire channel (Home Depot) to the front of the MH and secured with clips at the joints (one screw each). Seems to have worked very well and looks neater than just running cable.
'Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote