Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
SCS/Frigette Electric Steps

Hi, when you need the answer, this is the place to come. I have a Class A that has a SCS/Frigette electric step installed. I have previously posted on this subject regarding a replacement controller for the SCS. Thanks to the great people who monitor this site, I was able to purchase one at a reasonable price from Stromberg Carlson. Now my drive motor has failed. In that preavious post it was mentioned that the drive motor is just an electric window motor. Does anyone have any leads on what electric window motor will replace the original SCS. My housing fell into several pieces so I need the complete motor that will bolt onto my SCS frame, bolt hole for bolt hole. Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
SCS/Frigette Step Motor

Well, sometimes everyone is stumped. I have continued to research a source for the SCS/Frigette step motor. I found one on EBAY that claims to be the original at $117+. I also looked at Stromberg Carlson and Lippert Components, $179 and $199 respectively. Way too high for a simple auto power window motor. So I am ordering an ACI brand motor from Advance Auto, P/N 83694. Looks exactly the same as the original, $45+. It is listed as a replacement for 1986-1995 Ford Tarus and Buick Sable. They are also available at auto salvage $20 up as well as salvage on EBAY. I will post the outcome. Jim

Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
SCS/Frigette Electric steps

OK, here is the results. I ordered the power window lift motor, P/N 83694, Mfg ACI from Advanced Auto Parts to replace the drive motor on my SCS/Frigette electric steps. Their book shows it to be a replacement for 86-95 Ford Tarus/Sable. Cost was $45.99 plus tax. Exact fit. Appeared to be the exact same motor as the original installed motor. Only difference is electrical plug. You will have to recover the plug from your original motor and solder color to color. My steps work better than they have since I purchased this motorhome 18 months ago. Hope this helps someone else save $75 to $150. Very easy change out. Good luck
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post it! Mine ('05 year also) are beginning to get "hinky" and I know it's only a matter of time before I'll have to do the same.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

Many thanks, jldhelms...

I salute you, sir!

I've replaced 3 step motors in 6 years, at the usual $175+ price, and was very disappointed to discover mine quit again this past weekend. However, when I found your post I immediately ran down to Advanced Auto for one of these. It is a perfect fit, and the steps work better than ever.

Again, thanks. I hope you've helped others too.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDHELMS View Post
OK, here is the results. I ordered the power window lift motor, P/N 83694, Mfg ACI from Advanced Auto Parts to replace the drive motor on my SCS/Frigette electric steps. Their book shows it to be a replacement for 86-95 Ford Tarus/Sable. Cost was $45.99 plus tax. Exact fit. Appeared to be the exact same motor as the original installed motor. Only difference is electrical plug. You will have to recover the plug from your original motor and solder color to color. My steps work better than they have since I purchased this motorhome 18 months ago. Hope this helps someone else save $75 to $150. Very easy change out. Good luck
Many thanks! Got my replacement at Advance Auto today. Are there any things to watch for when replacing it?

Al
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes . Be sure that your electrical connectors are good. I thought I needed a new motor only to discover it was the connector that was bad
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Yes . Be sure that your electrical connectors are good. I thought I needed a new motor only to discover it was the connector that was bad
Thanks...I did check the connectors and ground. I Isolated problem to motor by disconnecting motor connector from control box and applying 12VDC directly to motor and measuring amp draw. I can't say that I fully understand what is inside motor/gearbox but it worked correctly in the direction that retracts the steps but not in the extend direction. It had low amp draw and for lack of a better word it "stuttered".

Al
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Frigette Steps

By now you have probably fixed your problem or give up. Much of the problems we owners encounter with these type of steps ends up be a grounding problem. The step motors and wiring are usually located under the coach, in the open without much protection, exposed to road salt, grime and moisture. Wiring on a DC motor is pretty straight forward. Reverse the leads and you get reverse direction if the motor is designed to operate in both directions. That is what the controller does in this case thru the door switch. My traveling buddy had "stuttering, stumbling" steps. Taking "BOTH" ground sources loose and cleaning thourghly with a wire brush restored function. Chase your wiring harness coming from the motor and controller to locate BOTH grounding spots, both terminated on the coach frame with crimped connectors (also subject to corrosion).
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDHELMS View Post
By now you have probably fixed your problem or give up. Much of the problems we owners encounter with these type of steps ends up be a grounding problem. The step motors and wiring are usually located under the coach, in the open without much protection, exposed to road salt, grime and moisture. Wiring on a DC motor is pretty straight forward. Reverse the leads and you get reverse direction if the motor is designed to operate in both directions. That is what the controller does in this case thru the door switch. My traveling buddy had "stuttering, stumbling" steps. Taking "BOTH" ground sources loose and cleaning thourghly with a wire brush restored function. Chase your wiring harness coming from the motor and controller to locate BOTH grounding spots, both terminated on the coach frame with crimped connectors (also subject to corrosion).
Thanks for the suggestions. The ground is one of the first things that I checked. I determined that it was the motor itself by disconnecting it from the control box and applying 12VDC directly. I have purchased an exact replacement from Advance Auto for $45 but have not put it in yet. I hope to get to it next week.

Al
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.m View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. The ground is one of the first things that I checked. I determined that it was the motor itself by disconnecting it from the control box and applying 12VDC directly. I have purchased an exact replacement from Advance Auto for $45 but have not put it in yet. I hope to get to it next week.

Al
The connector plugs are also a common source of problems. Be prepared to drill mounting bolt holes larger to allow motor wiggle room to line up properly with mounting holes.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #12

I matched my Frigette step motor at Napa. It was window motor for a F 150 pickup. $56.95 and good to go.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote