Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Sealand toilet leak and fill problem

I have a 500 series toilet in my 2001 Monaco MH that does not flow water in when the flush pedal is lifted, it also will not hold water in the bowl after a flush, and it sometime has a water leak on the floor beside it . I have pulled the pedal cover off and checked the water valve and it does not seem to be leaking, can someone shed some info on my problems with this toilet.
admiral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Community Moderator

i would replace the valve and the seal first. 14 years old, time to change anyway. these two are inexpensive.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #3

As far as the water on the floor, check that the anti siphon valve is not leaking or un plugged from the back of the toilet. Follow the water line from the water valve.

With it not holding water, take a scrubby and clean the underside of the seal, around the flush ball. If that dont fix it you will need a new seal.

Not to bad a job, 1 screwdriver. Instructions explain it.

Google Vacuflush parts for good internet prices.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

When looking for parts, it helps to know that Sealand toilets of this era have only a few parts in common with the current product line. I have a 511, which is the compact version (for pedestal mounting) of the 510. These are not the same toilets as the 510 Plus and 511 Plus. If you call Dometic/Sealand, they can send you a PDF parts breakdown for your specific model. All of the parts are still available, but can be difficult to find. The 511 parts list is attached.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 344156-PLIST_511H-GR_.pdf (147.8 KB, 161 views)
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
paz

It the toilet still doesn't hold water after cleaning the rubber seal and flush ball, there is one more trick to try before replacing the seal. Get some silicone plumber's grease from the home improvement store and smear a little on the underside of the seal. This worked for me and lasted 2 to 3 months before I had to clean the seal again and apply more grease.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #6

I dealt with these problems on our similar model Sealand. While I fixed them by cleaning and replacing some parts, if I had to do over, would replace the entire toilet to begin with.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral1 View Post
I have a 500 series toilet in my 2001 Monaco MH that does not flow water in when the flush pedal is lifted, it also will not hold water in the bowl after a flush, and it sometime has a water leak on the floor beside it . I have pulled the pedal cover off and checked the water valve and it does not seem to be leaking, can someone shed some info on my problems with this toilet.
admiral1
Every year or two my 19 year old Sealand 500 will refuse to hold water in the bowl.
To restore and maintain the flush ball seal I pour about 1/4 cup of CLR: CLR Calcium Lime & Rust Remover - All-Purpose Cleaners - Dollar General into the bowl, let it sit for awhile and then work the flush valve a few times...(repeat if necessary).
Then I apply a thin layer of plumbers grease: https://jet.com/product/detail/f8929...FQ8zaQodhWMKBg onto the rubber seal.

However, fixing your water leak onto the floor may not be such an easy fix.
(Depending on what is leaking, you may have to replace parts and/or remove the toilet to repair that leak).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a Sea Land on an earlier coach and my current one. I pulled out the water valve cleaned up the moving parts and replaced it and it worked fine. Putting in a new seal is easy but you can pull the bowel and the seals and give them a good cleaning with CLR and some elbow grease and the will probably work fine for another year or more of regular use. Regular scrubbing of the seal once or twice a week should keep it holding water. It's not as nasty work as it seems Good luck.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Put your hand in back of the toilet and feel around for your leak. (It's clean water back there). I'd bet it's the water valve, and pumper9x9 says a good cleaning and lubing will give you more time. I know that worked on my Thetford too. And I got 2 more years out of it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, seal