Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Sealing the rubber roof with...

Hello All, several questions on sealing the roof.

Had a RV expert look at my roof and said it looked fine. I mention that i was going to put Eterna Bond tape over the front and rear caps and he said, don't use that tape on your roof period. He said that stuff is a mistake to use. He didn't go into details and I didn't ask him why. I read here that Eterna Bond tape is the way to good for sealing the e\seams on rubber roof. Question.

What's better lap sealant vs. Eterna Bond tape?
Can you apply the Eterna Bond tape over CLEAN sealant?

Please add other related comments,
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Everyone has an opinion, and his happens to be wrong....nothing wrong with using the tape....IMO....

Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Can't imagine why he would nix Eternabond (or it's Dicor cousin, DiSeal Tape). It has many uses, as does lap sealant. I'm not one to put Eternabond everywhere, but I use it where appropriate and use lap sealant on the rest. It is very effective on relatively smooth surfaces.

I've seen a few people try to use it on ragged surfaces or fail to clean and smooth an area before applying it. It's not a miracle cure, nor is it the answer to every problem, but it's a darn good product.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Can't imagine why he would nix Eternabond (or it's Dicor cousin, DiSeal Tape). It has many uses, as does lap sealant. I'm not one to put Eternabond everywhere, but I use it where appropriate and use lap sealant on the rest. It is very effective on relatively smooth surfaces.

I've seen a few people try to use it on ragged surfaces or fail to clean and smooth an area before applying it. It's not a miracle cure, nor is it the answer to every problem, but it's a darn good product.
GENECOP and Gary, yeah, didn't think his remarks were valid on the Eterna Tape.

Here's the attached pic of the rear and front caps. I'm going to apply the Eterna Tape as planned and make sure the tape's edges has at least 1" of smooth surface to bond too. I think this would be better than applying lap sealant, RIGHT?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150620_131842.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	97877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150620_131759.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	97878  

Old 06-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Commercial Member

If you read the Eternabond instructions, the surface must be clean and smooth as possible.

I have always, removed as much Lap Sealant as possible, clean with mild soap, apply tape, and roll with a small flooring seam roller. You don't want any bubbles under it. Then seal the edges with Dicor Self-leveling Lap Sealant.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

just don't expect the tape to last longer then 3years. mine started cracking after 3years and water started getting under it. i sent pics to eternabond and they blew me off. their warrant sucks, or is non existant
Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #7

If you MH is not under warranty you can use what you want. If you have a warranty or an extended warranty make sure the material you use will be covered in case it cause problems.
I learned from experience.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out EPDM Liquid Rubber. DIY, No primer and only one coat. Comes with ten year warranty.

Tags
roof, seal