Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
fiberglass vs rubber roofs...ok, will add that to the list! thank you for taking the time to reply, not just to me but all the other newbies on the forum
we will be looking more and going to more dealers, shows, etc. It's also comforting to know that modifications are made all the time...don't like the couch? rip it out and put in recliners! hate the dinette? It's gone!
Happy travels to you all....

Carol, Northern CA
Smokey the rescue dog, newly retired
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
For the record, Coachmen is very much alive and well, and has been around since the mid-60s. They are a small manufacturer and build a very competitive, albeit value brand, of coach. Their parent company changed hands a few years ago to Berkshire Hathaway (and they're considered a division of Forrest River), but they still operate as "Coachmen".

We are coming up on 2 years with ours bought new, and have not had the "issues" that so many others describe all over the 'net (although I'm afraid of jinxing myself now by saying that out loud, LOL! ).

Ours has a ton of upgrades, rides very well and we are very happy with our purchase. We did look at Winnies too as part of our search, but ended up with our particular model Encounter, which has one of the best closed-for-travel floorplans I've come across. It has, and is, serving us well.

One thing that worked for me is that we did buy off the lot so that I could go over every nook and cranny myself of the actual unit we bought. One thing that stood out among brands while we were searching various rigs is the quality control among the very same units. Some were put together well; others not so well (same year, same manufacturer). Shouldn't be that way, but we encountered that in several different rigs built by the same manufacturer.

You can't go wrong with either brand, so find the one that fits you best! They both have their own pluses and minuses, so it truly is a subjective decision!

Best of luck to you -

2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
We were at the RV show yesterday and saw the new coachmen pursuit 27KB. It's a knock off the ACE but much better in our eyes. They just started making them in December. It has the king bed and drop down bed over the seats. Also has the TPO roof. Would like to hear from more Pursuit owners on how is the quality. By the way asking price 74,999.
Wayne & Charlotte

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In your price range I would go for a nice used unit all the way. Just do your homework and be patient!

This has worked well for me, anyway.

Good luck!
David and my Co-Pilot Pickles the Wonder Dog
2002 Holiday Rambler Navigator and 2014 CRV Toad
WK0P Monitoring 146.52 Mhz and CB Channel 13
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
Country Coach Owners Club
Our observation of La Mesa outlet in Davis several years ago was that it is a very hard sell operation that made us wary. So we discontinued our search there and at their RV "shows".

You might want to do some research on the web on La Mesa before you commit your money to them. Check the BBB and other web sites with reviews.
Then make your decision.

BTW, having owned neither of the brands you are targeting, I would pick Winnebago due to their successful history if the floor plans were equal.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
I currently own a 2013 Winnebago Diesel pusher, I traded in a 2004 Coachman Aurora gas Ford chassis. In comparison there is no comparison. However they are not in the same class, even the 2004 Journey versus the 2004 Coachman.

Our Coachman was a very good mid class gas unit, we had it for 4 years & used it full time. We had no major problems that I would not expect to have with any coach. With age some things just wear out or come to the end of their lifespan. As for fit, comfort, & ease of operation, the Winnebago gets my vote. Also from what I have seen in our search for a replacement for the Coachman, the Parent company Forest River has not provided the Coachman product with the same quality as the former Coachman management.
My vote is for the Winnebago.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote