Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Search Continues...Winnebago vs Coachman

We're still researching MH's but have only actually gone to one dealer (La Mesa RV, in Davis) who also happened to have a big show at Cal Expo a few weeks ago. They have LOTS of Coachman Mirada's, 2014's (one 2013) in $69K range...our upper limit is $70 due to the down payment required. We like the floor plan and the easy care interior (vinyl flooring and leatherette upholstery) Salespeople touting this as an excellent price on a NEW, entry level MH.

We also keep coming back to Winnebago...that was our only MH driving experience, 10 yrs. ago. The Vista 30T is out of our price range unless we can find an older one, or heavily discounted. The Vista 31KE (not sure if the letters are right) is in our price range We also looked at an Itasca Sunova 26P (2008) that was very intriguing BUT it had no table or dinette, just couch. I know on the smaller ones you have to give up something, but we decided overall it was a little too small and we needed both couch and table. Any ideas on either of these?

Is Winnebago quality that much better? I like the idea they make everything on the inside and they can replace stuff many years later....but as DH says, the first thing to go wrong will probably NOT be a cupboard door! Also, we are not interested in NEW....I'd like someone else to have taken the hit on depreciation and getting all the repair issues worked out that first year. To answer anticipated questions, we will not be FT, there will only be the two of us, cannot buy anything until June (due to retirement funds not being available until then), DH thinks we'll be MHing only 5 yrs (I know, that may change, in either direction!), gas, probably towing our Honda CRV This forum has been so helpful, thank you all for any input you might have.

parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Carol,

You have a tough question to answer so its no surprise nobody has responded yet.

ANY make can be either wonderful and trouble free or an absolute nightmare. I'm on the forums almost daily reading countless posts over the years and there are lots of Winnebago fans out there. You are correct that Winnebago is usually good on providing support, parts and information. Coachmen can be more hit and miss but really much depends on the dealer providing the support. Winnies do hold their value better over time and certainly you are seeing that in the used prices.

Since you are looking at lower/entry level coaches due to price, I would recommend choosing the one that has the best floorplan & features that will fit your needs.

Best of luck!

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had both. Mirada and Sightseer. Mirada had the Chevy frame and had a smoother ride. The Sightseer is a Ford and a stiffer ride. Both are entry level. We really prefer the Winnebago. I would lean toward the Winnebago due to the support out there and the parts availability. Winnebago as a company has been solid over the years. Just MHO.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Yes Winnebago is better. With your budget I would definitely get used, there are lots and lots of nice 30' gently used winnebagos built in 2005-2007 way under your budget.

Good luck and have fun.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a "Previously Adventured" MotorHome, too. Our bias became Winnebago. In terms of the brand, there were lots of factors, like you have discovered. In the end, our brand choice came down to people. First, after calling/eMailing Winnebago folks, we realized how genuine their passion is for keeping customers happy with their great coaches. And second, we listened to people in the campgrounds, etc. We had fun "interrogating" MotorHome owners us as we walked the loops each evening (MotorHome owners love to talk!). We heard lots of "war stories," but the 5-6-7 year old Winnebago owners always seemed to be the most pleased with their MotorHome decision. Seems there are lots of well-made MotorHomes out there; but we have never looked back (and we will buy another one!). \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are looking at used don't overlook the Newmar line. They are top quality coaches.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

I guess i have to be the lone voice to stand up for Coachmen. I have had two Coachmen Mirada's: a 2000 34MBS and a 2013 35DL. You will hear a lot about how much better Winnebago is, and I am sure to a certain extent they are. But for the price, I was happy with my old unit and even happier with the new one. There are not many 35ft coaches on the market with 1.5 baths at the price point that I got my Mirada for. As for quality, sure I have had some issues, but not a single one that the dealer has been unable or unwilling to take care of free of charge. I have put 8300 miles on it since April 2013 and I have enjoyed every single one of them. Would I rather have had a Tour or a Journey? Sure, but I have a budget and the Coachmen fit right into it. Don't overlook them. They stand behind their product and the product stands the test of time.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all, I really appreciate all your responses. For the most part all owners are passionate about their rigs and the adventures on the road, hope to meet some of you! We're not focused on re-sale value at this time because we don't expect to sell/trade-up ...I know, I hear all the laughter out there!!
In the end it will come down to floor plan and budget..... and feeling comfortable with the service dept. But as someone else said, when you're 3,000 mi away you'd have to find another service dept. anyway. (or words to that effect!)
Thanks again, will keep you posed and how it comes out
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

I think Winnebago uses all fiberglass roof systems on their coaches. That IS a huge consideration. If you buy a coach with a TPO type rubber roof, you could be in for a full re-roof in a few years, or immediately.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
Thank you all, I really appreciate all your responses. For the most part all owners are passionate about their rigs and the adventures on the road, hope to meet some of you! We're not focused on re-sale value at this time because we don't expect to sell/trade-up ...I know, I hear all the laughter out there!!
In the end it will come down to floor plan and budget..... and feeling comfortable with the service dept. But as someone else said, when you're 3,000 mi away you'd have to find another service dept. anyway. (or words to that effect!)
Thanks again, will keep you posed and how it comes out
Carol--buy the one that suits you best and fits your budget. Either is a fine choice. Let us know what you get!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, Carol,

We are on our 4th Winnebago and have never been disappointed even with some problems. I feel they build a fine coach and their service is great. You can download parts list, manuals and wiring diagrams from their website, www.winnebagoind.com.

When their was an economic crunch, Winnebago was still there. Coachman was not and is not in business per se but owned by another manufacturer.

I would as previously stated look at used or even leftover coaches as once the dealer reaches the year they have to start making payments on it and they want to get rid of them.

Another possibility is to go to rallies such as Good Sam/Camping World as the rally prices are great, in fact that is where I bought my present coach and now I can get serviced at any Camping World although I have had a bad taste about one of them.
I wish you got luck in your search for a Winnebago and Good Luck on your retirement.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

We have had 2 previous RVs and love our 2014 itasca 30t. We had 2 previous rigs that were fun but never fully met our needs. The 30t was exactly what we wanted and we decided not too wait. Yes we will take the high on depreciation, but plan to keep it 10 years. BTW, we have had no repair issues so far.
Linda
Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago vs Coachman

Hi Carol:
I do not reply a lot to inquiries but felt I would to you.
We have owned 2 Winnie's and a Damon . My experience is that I would buy another Winnie any day. I had a bad experience with the rubber roof on the Damon and am prone to stick with fibreglass. Also there are lots of good
used Winnie's out there in your price range. Also as stated don't overlook Newmar, they would probably be my next choice, remember floor plan is very important as well as maintaince records, tires, glass, delam and overall condition. Enjoy you search and happy camping.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in a campground in Oklahoma. Someone here has a quadslide Coachman for sale. If you are interested I will find out what year and how much for you. The outside looks in really good shape. Send me a message if you are interested.