Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #57

Usually the driver doesnt care about a mid-door--but the passenger will appreciate no wind noise, a window that actually opens, no door "pit" to fall into, and last--once the "nest" is made in the corner, in front of the passenger seat, no need to move/store stuff as the driver can/will use the mid-door at the fuel stop. Oh--then there is the tracking with dirty shoes and hauling everything from the front to the kitchen or bedroom.
PS--I just love those cute little automatic awnings that pop out over the front door, but unless the rain is coming straignt down--oh never mind....save travels everyone.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #58

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
The mid entry has some appealing things. My wife wasn't fond of the stairwell at her feet on the dp's we have looked at either
Most DP's, in fact everyone we've owned have a cover over the steps that is electrically operated. Takes just a few seconds to close or open.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most DP's, in fact everyone we've owned have a cover over the steps that is electrically operated. Takes just a few seconds to close or open.

I have seen that now...at first I didn't realize most all of them had the cover.

I like the idea of a mid entry door as I think maybe it would separate he coach a bit (5 and 8 year olds). Would also allow for a drop down bunk up front like some gas models have. Other wise we would be walking past the kids sleeping in the morning to get out of the coach (assuming kids were on a fold out etc upfront...). Hard to find a bunkhouse dp that has good toe capacity, carrying capacity and have the tv viewable for the kids while driving
Old 04-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #60

Thumbs up

Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse

-tv viewable while traveling
-bunks have tvs, not just dvd players
-front electric bunk also
-mid entry door
-everything is accessible while traveling
-10,000lb towing cap, more than enough

we full time in ours with two teens
50k miles since Aug2014
4 bike rack and 14FordFiesta toad

in Virginia Beach at the beachfront campground this week

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #61

Good points mr t. I looked at one a few months ago but didn't drive it. I do like the floor plan, but the storage bays give me pause (straight frame so storage seemed pretty limited). Also, how are yours with regards to being water tight? The slide issues also gave me a lot of pause, although it seems like much less complaints since going to triple track.

Towing - 10k is a mythical figure based on gvwr and cgvwr, isn't it? Have you ever had yours weighed? I would be interested in seeing how much carrying capacity it has? Thanks for the thoughts and info!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #62

cat scales last month, fully loaded

25,750 total, fully loaded, fuel, water, 4 persons, dog
2,800 lb toad

I at first had the same concerns about 'storage' in that this XCS chassis sits lower, allowing for the 'compartment' style bays, though the main bay is a true passthru style. If you plan appropriately, it works fine. We have found, thru time, that more stuff does not mean more enjoyment. We have shed items we thought we 'had to have', and actually feel less stress than when we had more 'stuff', and I still carry more stuff than I need.
The XCS chassis sits 6"-8" lower than most others, requiring only a single entry step, and sometimes not even a step is even needed, especially if you dump the air bags and self level. It also provides peace of mind versus the higher units where tunnels, overpasses, and tree limbs are concerned.
The ride is smooth, 300hp is more than enough, and I would have no hesitation in pulling a 10k trailer is needed - it doesnt even know my Fiesta is following it. : )

not sure what you mean by 'water tight'
Old 02-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
And here - a year later- I am finally reading this post ...
Thank you for your response, for believing it, and most of all for saying it !!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2008-09 Winnebago Destination's are mid entry. Available in Diesel or gas pusher.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #65

We have an 04 Gulfstream Atrium SE and we love it! 3 slides, 41.5 feet, lots of room. Biggest draw back is that it is designed for warm weather, not for hot weather or cold weather. With the Atrium it will let in allot of heat or loose allot of heat so up here in Canada it works perfect as camping in the summer the temps are generally right around where it is best suited. People talk about Gulfstream having poor quality but but I feel it's right up there, it has solid wood cabinets and all the other amenities some of the top coach builder install in their coaches. I am pretty handy being a certified mechanic so I've made a few modes, and a few improvements to make it a better unit for us. We plan on retiring this year and taking it down south through California, Arizona, and make our way across to Florida if we make it that far next winter. We figure if we just keep to the areas where the weather is between 70 & 80 degrees we can't go wrong. All the interior appliances are the same as other coaches, drive train, transmission (330 Cat and 6 spd Allison) on a Freightliner chassis. I figure if I look after it well we will have many trouble free miles of RVing ahead of us, can't wait!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #66

Mines probably way older than what you are looking for. But I have to say I love the Mid Entry on my 91 Foretravel Grand Villa. I like the aspect that when we camp and can extend the awning it becomes an outside room extension. Step out of the coach under the awning rain or shine.Totally cuts the foot traffic from front to back. But mainly I like because you exit under the awning onto the patio area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sccamp.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	151386  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Limiting to a mud door entry DP is very, well, limiting. IMHO. A front entry actually works well once you get used to it. Pkus no walkway or stairway in the house.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #68

Very good points about the door up front. My wife would go nuts if I kept asking her to move every time I stopped. One other thing I read on another forum is that front entry doors are not covered by the awning so you can get wet entering and exiting the coach when camped.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #69

We live in a 02 American Eagle Mid Entry. Love it. When it is time to trade up, we will be looking for another mid entry coach.

Jake
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
One other thing I read on another forum is that front entry doors are not covered by the awning so you can get wet entering and exiting the coach when camped.
Our front entry has its own awning. It isn't extended here, but you can clearly see it.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel