Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Searching for Vogue Prima Vista specs/info

I have tried googling for this info, but have had very little luck. I thought I had lucked up on a Vogue owners group online, but the web address turned out to be wrong. Can anyone offer some specs/information on Vogue Prima Vista motorhomes that were built by Mitchell Coach?

I know they were built in the nineties, that they were considered to be very well built inside, and that they appear to have a very loyal following. I did read that some of them were built on a Crown bus chassis. It seems that some had Detroit engines with 4 speed automatic transmissions while others had Cat engines with 6 speed automatics.

I would appreciate any available info on these particular coaches. For example, if they were indeed built on a Crown bus chassis, how many air bags do they ride on? Are they set inboard or outboard? How do Prima Vistas ride and drive?

How is the body framework constructed? Is it steel or aluminum? Are the side wall frames welded or bolted in place? Is rust a serious issue?

I've asked enough questions, I'm sure. Please feel free to chime in with any input you an offer.

Thanks. I look forward to your answers.

Looking forward to our RV life.
Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #2

Moderator, should I have perhaps posted this in the Vintage RV Forum? I'm surprised that no one has chimed in with any input. Please move the post if you think I have posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Vogue owner

I currently have an 37' 1984 Vogue II and absolutely love it! It's my second Vogue and I wouldn't buy anything else ($188000 new in 84). Except a Prevost of course also built by Mitchell manufacturing. They are extremely well built, and do have 2x2 steel walls. My coach does sit on a crown chassis with 8 airbags, 3208 cat V-8, side radiator and a 4 speed Allison Trans. They also were built on a Gillig chassis as well. My first one was a 79 gas rig which also had steel framed walls and drove great even 30 years. But the 84 drives like a caddy and sails down the road floating on her 8 airbags. The early model vogue prima vista is my next buy without a doubt. That's when Vogue started full body paint, with the detroit engine and 6 speed Allison.
Im not sure what indoard is (newby here) but mine is side radiator if thats what you are refering to. The bottom including fresh , grey and black tanks are fully insulated with foam for cold weather. When I had to change the outlet fitting on the freshwater tank, it was all like brand new being so well sealed there was not even dust in there. I don't think rust would be an issue. If it were, it would be visible on the undercarriage. These are top of the line rigs, you will love it!
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Thank you for the info. You said that your '84 "drives like a caddy." I'm guessing that you might describe the ride as soft or smooth and quiet. Would that be accurate?

The inboard/outboard question had to do with the position of the air bags. Inboard would be under the frame rails. Outboard would be under the perimeter of the coach.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
Hi I own a 1990 37' Vogue Prima Vista Diesel pusher, she has a 300 Hp 3208 V8 Caterpillar turbocharge with an allison 4 speed transmission w/retarder. she has 4 external air bags which are mounted on the axle and housed on the body. She holds 150 gal. of fuel, 100 gal of fresh water, 50 gal gray, and 50 gal of black, 215 lbs of propane tank. She has a 7.5 Onan generator controlled at the cockpit in the galley and bed room and generator.The under carriage is completely inclosed and heated by the heating system duct work to keep the floor warm and fuel tank she also provides hot water while driving for showers or the kitchen by turning 2 valves and the engine cooling system heats the water. The ride is great smooth takes rough roads very well steering is different from your truck or car. She is built on a Crown Coach built by Mitchell started in November of 1989 and completed July 1990 when she rolled out the door for over 300K. If you want more information please email me. Glad I could help.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Hi Bookman, yes it rides very smooth, soft but sturdy. It handles and steers very well down the hwy with little effort, even in high winds having a 31k gvw. I've had it on the beach also and was very please with how well it did in Lake Powell (lone rock) The airbags are attached under the frame rails (top bracket) and the bottom ones are mounted in front and behind the axles (2) each side for 8 total.

Gilles
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

Gilleshps,

I'm glad to hear that your Vogue has a smooth, soft ride. I wonder about finding parts for them, considering that they have been out of production for more than a decade. I know that some parts like water pumps, toilets, roof airs, etc. are still available from a variety of manufacturers. But what about any proprietary parts exclusive to the body or chassis. Is there still parts availability for those things?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

I have not had any issues pertaining to items exclusive to Vogue, and don't feel there is any, as everything I have replaced has been available aftermarket. The only parts exclusive to vogue that I can see, are the Vogue emblems.

Had a 12v T-10 blow off valve go bad which dumps the air, I believe that was HWH. Toilets are ceramic sea land, with easy seal replacement. Brake liners, bearings, new Ice maker fan, a few 12v switches etc. As you stated, these are all aftermarket parts and still available.

I also found a loom of 7 "spare" wires under the chassis running the full length of the coach from front to back. These were installed factory as extra wires if you need any, which saved me a great amount if time when installing a new brake controller. That's the kind of thought that went into Vogue production apparently. Full size ice makers, remote control spot light, curb and street side flood lights.
My 84 also has large water, fuel and propane capacities as the 90 above does.

100 fresh
60/40 grey black
40 gal LP
150 gal Fuel

1500 watt inverter, LP Onan generator
Convection microwave combo.
Full size queen (not short)
Electric mirrors
The front, rear and roof exterior panels are all 1 piece as well. The 1 pc roof contours down the sides to eliminate any roof leaks or seams at the edges.
I like the early 90's Prima Vista, I was informed by the late 90's and early 01 they had changed ownership again as lost some quality.

I'll give you a site to visit, it has some good vogue info as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
I have not had any issues pertaining to items exclusive to Vogue, and don't feel there is any, as everything I have replaced has been available aftermarket. The only parts exclusive to vogue that I can see, are the Vogue emblems.

Had a 12v T-10 blow off valve go bad which dumps the air, I believe that was HWH. Toilets are ceramic sea land, with easy seal replacement. Brake liners, bearings, new Ice maker fan, a few 12v switches etc. As you stated, these are all aftermarket parts and still available.

I also found a loom of 7 "spare" wires under the chassis running the full length of the coach from front to back. These were installed factory as extra wires if you need any, which saved me a great amount if time when installing a new brake controller. That's the kind of thought that went into Vogue production apparently. Full size ice makers, remote control spot light, curb and street side flood lights.
My 84 also has large water, fuel and propane capacities as the 90 above does.

100 fresh
60/40 grey black
40 gal LP
150 gal Fuel

1500 watt inverter, LP Onan generator
Convection microwave combo.
Full size queen (not short)
Electric mirrors
The front, rear and roof exterior panels are all 1 piece as well. The 1 pc roof contours down the sides to eliminate any roof leaks or seams at the edges.
I like the early 90's Prima Vista, I was informed by the late 90's and early 01 they had changed ownership again as lost some quality.

I'll give you a site to visit, it has some good vogue info as well.
Everything that was built was hand crafted cabinets there was no production line like there is today. Vogue hired all carpenter, mechanics, electricians to build their buses and you will notice that there are no two buses alike similar maybe and like Gilliehps they were built with everything possible. I've replaced filters for plumbing but you will find out there are no plastic tubing in the bus just copper and steel. Your flooring is built on steel I beams welded together and 3/4" plywood bolted to the steel then carpet or solid wood flooring. In my rig they used long wood screws that are counter sunk with 1/4" shanks. The only thing on the roof is the horns (air), Satellite dome after market spot light and an antenna for Tv and Cobra CB. Finally, the change everyone notices between the pre and post Michell Vogues is the fit and finish of the interior. Maybe any Auburn envisioned a luxury apartment floating down the highway. Michell's envisioned a modernistic and opulent interior likes of which you would not find in most homes today, much less in a motor home.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #10

Which model years were the Mitchell years? Whid1, you did not mention having ac units on the roof. Were Vogues built with Cruisair central air units or something similar?

Which years were built on the Crown chassis vs the Gillig chassis? Which chassis do you believe was the best/strongest? Which do you believe had the smoothest/softest ride? Gilleshps commented on the of his Crown chassis. How did the Crown compare to the Gillig?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #11

Check out fleetofcads.com/93vogue.htm it's a beautiful 93 Prima vista still on a crown chassis with some good info on Mitchell/Vogue. I think Mitchell owned and built from 90-98 then sold to featherlite and the last vogue built was 99 sold up to 01, still built in 99 by featherlite.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Which model years were the Mitchell years? Whid1, you did not mention having ac units on the roof. Were Vogues built with Cruisair central air units or something similar?

Which years were built on the Crown chassis vs the Gillig chassis? Which chassis do you believe was the best/strongest? Which do you believe had the smoothest/softest ride? Gilleshps commented on the of his Crown chassis. How did the Crown compare to the Gillig?
Mitchell built his motor homes from 1990 to 1998 and then another luxury manufacturer gobbled up Vogue in 1998 named Featherliter Presuming the name "Vogue" was a little out of vogue for modern thinking, the name was dropped in favor of "Vantare.
Mine is a 1990 built on a Crown Chassis I don't know that much about Gillig chassis. I do know that any bus frame built had to meet US Hwy standards and State because the frames were used for Hwy and school busses for transportation Blue Bird is well known for bus conversions and school busses.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We saw a Prima Vista at Cedar Breaks COE park in Georgetown, Texas before Thanksgiving. It looked great for its age.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have two independent cooling systems built into the undercarriage of my bus my gvw is appox. 42,042.00 loaded.