Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sears Batteries

I have been reading comments about house batteries trying to learn all I can so I can make an informed decision when it comes time to replace mine. I was in Sears today looking at the DieHard brand, which I have had good luck with in my cars. I found out they have a DieHard Platinum battery and the "regular" deep cycle battery. I would be interested in hearing opinions as to whether the very expensive Platinum battery is worth the up-front cost plus any other thoughts that are out there. I am in my first year of owning a 2007 Win. Journey. Thanks in advance for your responses.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

The Platinum appears to be an AGM battery. These are great in certain applications, but RV deep-cycle service isn't one of them. Also it is a combined deep-cycle/starting battery (sometimes also referred to as a 'marine' battery) and these do not perform as well as a dedicated deep-cycle battery if deep-cycle service is your primary objective. I would go with a good standard flooded lead-acid battery as they are usually more cost-effective in RV service.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Replacing the chassis battery or the coach batteries?
What do you have now? how many? Have you considered 6v batteries, the only true deep cycle.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
These are great in certain applications, but RV deep-cycle service isn't one of them.
Don't know why you would say that. Thousands of RVers are happy with their AGM batteries and most high line coaches come with them as standard equipment. Darned expensive, though!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't know why you would say that. Thousands of RVers are happy with their AGM batteries and most high line coaches come with them as standard equipment. Darned expensive, though!
It's the damned expensive part I am referring to. At a cost of 2-3x over conventional batteries there doesn't appear to be an equivalent increase in performance when used as a deep-cycle house battery. It's not the superiority of AGM batteries I am questioning but rather their cost-effectiveness in this particular application.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This repsonse depends on geometry (or gee, I'm a tree or something like that) that is the size and shape of your batery compartment and how easy it is to access.

Flooded wet cells are long lasting if properly cleaned, watered and cared for, Watered by the way means DISTILLED water, not tap water. The most common Flooded wet cell in RV use is the common GC-2 Golf Car battery, This is a DEEP CYCLE battery ideal for RV use. I highly recommend them,, They are a bit taller than most 12 volt batteries however.

Maintenance free (Liquid filled) types are 2nd in life and need way less cleaning, of course being as they are sealed you can not water them. Hard to find a true deep cycle, Though Marine'Deep cycle are common.. Look for one designed for trolling.

AGM's are way more expensive, I find no advantage to them at all unless you are unable to mount them "THIS SIDE UP". Lifeline (Specific make) AGM's can take a very rapid recharge though.

Optima is a special case of AGM, costs more and holds less energy, Avoid.

GEL .. Small gell batteries work well but when you start piling on the amp hours (A group 24 is 75 AH roughly) they really are not a good choice, they are very finikey eaters (Recharge) and are easily damaged by under/over charge or too fast a charge, I would avoid them, not only that it's nearly impossible to find one in teh size we use since AGM beats the lead out of them . Also expensive.

Best bang for th Buck,, GC-2 at Sam's club.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

wa8xym - I liked your summary. Concur for pur price to performance, the common GC2 6V is hard to beat.

I will add to your comments on AGM's, as for those that boondock and are 'off the grid' for longer periods - the faster recharge rate of AGM's do provide a solid advantage.

It all depends on usage. For 'plugged while parked usage', GC2's cover the bases. And those, with a bit more investment, and if room permits, can be set up with auto fill water supply that reduces the maintenance required. For those with solar, and off grid usage - AGM's do provide a solid value. Cost more, but some of that costs comes back over the life usage by less generator time. (Not saying enough to offset the total higher costs, but enough to be a factor.)

Also as mentioned, AGM's do allow for creative non 'this side up' install...

I also like to always mention that the 6V's can be found with usually two higher capacity sizes. In the Trojan line, T125 and T145. We had room for T125's in our old Bounder's battery compartment, and I got a dang good price on them 6 years ago... A little extra capacity, for not much more cost. (Today, lead prices have made the jump to T125/T145 more painful! In our current coach, it came with one water 8D for chassis, and two 8D AGM's for house duty. Admit I like the no fuss of the AGM's, but not sure what I will replace with when the time comes.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

Agree. I was always a DieHard fan, but last year the Sam's Club price for one starting and two coach batteries was $100 less than for the regular Sears batteries (not the AGM's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
...Best bang for th Buck,, GC-2 at Sam's club.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries