Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question seasonal used prices

Hi, Looking for experience from those that have bought used MH's in mid winter. My hypothesis is that mid winter is the better time to buy a used MH.
What has been your experience or what does your research show?
Cary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I can't say I've done any research, but I bought my first coach used in February and my second coach new in December and got what I consider to be very good deals on both of them.

I think conventional thinking is that many folks seek to unload their MH in the fall, at the "end of the season" and that can drive down used prices, but there is also a demand from the Snowbirds who want to pick up a "new to them" coach in the fall to bring down south for the winter. So, who knows?

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought ours in Nov with a price 25K below bluebook. You must also consider that we bought it in 08, the market was at about its worse economical condition it had ever seen at that point. The market did drop even more after that & by some reports the RV industry is on an upswing, so if you believe that then waiting for mid winter this year may not result in the best price compared to today. It is all a gamble.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes who knows and yes it is a gamble. Sounds like you two have done well in the off season. We are looking and getting a feel for prices and which MH we might want. Thanks for the input
Cary
Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a link to one source of info on buying your next RV & on current economics in the RV industry. I have not bought thier books, but I do receive thier emails about once a month. Very informative.
http://www.jrconsumer.com/
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It is not unusual for high sales in our area (Arizona desert) during the winter. We have year-round use of an RV here, but the winters are the most comfortable when speaking of the weather. Thousands of "snowbirds" descend upon the southwest in the winter because of the weather. A service rep at a local Winnebago/Itasca dealership told me that they have trouble not laying someone off in the summer, but their winter business more than makes up for it. So...in this part of the country the prime time to sell an RV is in the winter. BUT that may mean that the prices are up in the winter because of the demand. If you are in a part of the country where it gets very cold and snows then I would think the prices would have to be lower.
Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #7

I believe that winter is a good time to buy. If you have the option, traveling through Florida might reveal some good buys. Snowbirds sometimes have stranded RVs because they are unable to drive them for health reasons.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

I bought my coach exactly a year ago. I started really test driving and getting ready to buy as soon as the "season" ended. Which IMHO means you start looking after labor day. I think the right around Feb the wanderlust and travel fever juices start to flow and send prices climbing in Spring. So if you want a motor home for next season, DON'T delay and get busy test driving. Also, my guess is that the RV industry is starting to pick up significantly and that will soak up excess used coaches.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Cary. Just purchased our 1st class A 2 weeks ago from a private seller. It's a 2000 model with onlt 29,500 miles and the owner had over $10,000 in receipts for upgrades over the past 2 years. Buy offering cash we were able to agree upon a price almost 25% below NADA average prices. Deal are out there, but we traveled almost 700 miles to test drive our new coach. Good luck and happy hunting!