Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I never wear the seatbelt and the DW often goes back to the kitchen to make snacks or lunch while we're rolling along. Not a big deal.
Not a big deal ... Right up to the time when you need them. You can NOT hold on against the forces unleashed in an accident. I have been in a car and watched people hit the windshield . I have been on the outside and comforted/ patched up people slashed up by multiple pieces of glass from the car windows. Luckily I have not had to witness someone ejected from a vehicle because they were not belted in... I hope it is not you . Sorry to be blunt ... But I guess it depends on how lucky you are feeling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I never wear the seatbelt and the DW often goes back to the kitchen to make snacks or lunch while we're rolling along. Not a big deal.
Don't wear seatbelts in my standard vehicles let alone the MH,,,,My choice!
And one of the reasons for buying the MH was to be able to have refreshments while on the road plus being able to move and stretch when not driving and your tired of sitting!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I always encourage the use of available seat belts. In a front end collision a unrestrained body is going to continue forward movement at the original speed of the vehicle.

36 years School Bus Fleet Contractor--34 years Fire & Rescue--Nuff Said
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Guess it will be a big deal one day when the scalding coffee pot smacks you on the back of the head closely followed by your dear and soon to be departed wife.
But of course I guess that won't ever happen because you (with newly smashed chest and shattered face) will beat her and the coffee pot through the windscreen

Quote:
If your over 18 sit any place you want!
Completely agree, provided it has a seat belt and it is done up tight. Last thing I want is a burly adult waltzing down the aisle out of control towards me because of heavy braking they weren't prepared for.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Everybody in our RV wears seats belts at all times. Just our rule!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The medical profession has a name for those that do not wear seat belts.

Organ Donors
The life you save may be someone elses.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We always wear seat belts, although I question the value of belts for RV occupants in general. I would think that any crash that is sufficient in force to make wearing a seat belt valuable would cause the average RV to disintegrate around you. These aren't cars. They're wooden boxes on truck frames.

So, I'd guess you're just as likely to be injured or killed in a severe RV crash whether or not you're wearing seat belts. I'd love to see RV crash data to the contrary so I could make a more educated assessment.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Guess it will be a big deal one day when the scalding coffee pot smacks you on the back of the head...
Does that mean the coffee pot should have a seat belt on, too?

When my time comes, the Good Lord will call me home. On that wonderful day it won't matter to Him if I have a seat belt on or not. In the meantime I enjoy life here on earth in every way I can, which includes not abrading my neck from the rubbing of an ill-fitting seat belt.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #23

Seat belts in the front, always.
Rear adults can do what they want and I will announce when in traffic or coming up on turns for everyone to be seated.

The biggest reason we got the motorhome was so wife could move around. She doesn't fly (with or without an airplane ), won't get on a boat or ship, and does not like confined spaces... so the motorhome is about our only choice.

While on the road the DW has been known to cook (microwave or crock-pot, no flames), make coffee, vacuum, do the dishes, get snacks, get drinks, take care of the dogs, use restroom, watch movies, move from couch to dinette to front chair (belted in) to bedroom and then do it all over again. She's happy, and that makes me happy.

We take precautions where we feel its necessary and are by nature very cautious people. That said we don't feel it is necessary to be buckled up in the back of the motorhome.

Our house, our rules, our choice.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #24

Quote:
When my time comes, the Good Lord will call me home. On that wonderful day it won't matter to Him if I have a seat belt on or not. In the meantime I enjoy life here on earth in every way I can, which includes not abrading my neck from the rubbing of an ill-fitting seat belt.
Wouldn't you think one of the Good Lord's servants could have designed a seat belt for you that didn't abrade your poor neck. Regardless of your beliefs, my concern would be for those innocents you might take with you who aren't quite so enthusiastic about an early demise. Very selfish philosophy and anyway, Heaven's gatekeeper might regard it as murder and then where will you end up.

As for drivers refusing to wear seat belts on the basis that any serious accident in an RV isn't survivable anyway, apart from that being pure bunkum on several levels, there is the very good reason that a relatively minor accident can cause the unbelted driver to be tipped out of his seat or otherwise lose effective control and turn the minor bingle into a fatality as the MH goes over the edge or across the median into oncoming traffic. Doesn't take much - an unnoticed pothole or misjudged kerb or minor collision.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #25

I guess that's why we all own our own vehicles. So we can as adults make educated decisions as to what level of safety we are willing to accept.

Me personally, with 145,000 miles of RV travel safely unrestrained is my choice. I'll allow you to make your own decisions without condemnation. It's my right as a free American to live my life how I see fit. - Regardless of the laws put into place by bureaucracy.

Why? - well its easy these laws were all written after I started driving. So I'm grandfathered in
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #26
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I guess that's why we all own our own vehicles. So we can as adults make educated decisions as to what level of safety we are willing to accept.

Me personally, with 145,000 miles of RV travel safely unrestrained is my choice. I'll allow you to make your own decisions without condemnation. It's my right as a free American to live my life how I see fit. - Regardless of the laws put into place by bureaucracy.

Why? - well its easy these laws were all written after I started driving. So I'm grandfathered in
completely agree. well said.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on the plan that if you're in the front seat, wear your set belt. If the DW wants to get up to get something, that's fine as long as the traffic situation allows. But also if you ride in my vehicle you will wear your seatbelt when in the front seat of the MH or any seat of the toad. If not you can walk, it's not crowded on your feet.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Hmmm.....buses don't have seat belts.
If you see how they are designed it makes some sense also one of the arguments was EMS cutting x amount of belts for child removal.
That being said more and more are coming with belts.