Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post

Luckily I have not had to witness someone ejected from a vehicle because they were not belted in... I hope it is not you . Sorry to be blunt ... But I guess it depends on how lucky you are feeling.
Responded, as EMS, to 3 mass causality accidents on the highway (I81) in one 12 month period. 1 had a ejection through the windshield a separate had an ejection with roll over where the vehicle came to rest on the 7 year old ejected passenger.

To each his own, I belt myself, please belt in the kids.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #30

Regarding seat belt use: One needs to be reminded that driving is a privilege, not a right, at least on public roads in the USA. If the powers that be have mandated seat belt use in vehicles operated on public roads, then one is required to do so. It is not a 'right' to choose not to do so. It is violating public law.

As for the belief that one, as an adult (defined in the USA as a person 18 years old and older) has the 'right' to determine whether or not to place one's own self in jeopardy, that is true, to the extent that taking such risk does not unnecessarily place any other person at risk. Unfortunately, for those who attempt to use this excuse as why they choose not to wear seat belts, there are always others, or potentially others, with whom they must share public roads. If those who choose not to wear seat belts become a public hazard due to their loosing control of the vehicle they are driving, because they are thrown from the driver's seat or because someone in the vehicle they are driving, and who is not wearing a seatbelt, interferes with the driver's ability to safely maintain control of the vehicle (i.e. they are thrown into the driver as a result of a sudden maneuver), then that driver just become an unnecessary risk to everyone else in the immediate vicinity of their vehicle.

As for those who find seat belt use uncomfortable, I find it rather ironic that they are willing to spend tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on the purchase, care, maintenance and fueling of an RV, but are unwilling to spend tens, or hundreds of dollars in order to make seat belt use comfortable. (This also reminds me of a public TV commercial about a woman who is confined to a wheel chair, due to an injury she sustained in an automobile accident, because she didn't want to wrinkle her dress by wearing a seat belt.)

Obviously, one of the reasons we purchase motor homes is to allow passengers access to amenities while the coach is under way. However, even the most jaded of us will admit this can be done in such a manner to minimize risk to us all. Wear seat belts when sitting down and only move around when needed, such as when going to use the toilet, getting something to eat or drink, or moving to another seat.

Just my two cents...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA seat belts are required in cars for all passengers. But not for buses. I always wear one as does the DW. As far as anyone else in the rig: only two other belts and they won't go around the recliner/rockers anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's

mcmeadows 1

Thank you for printing a conservative & defensive side of the question.

Dwight
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #33

When I was little they didn't have car seats yet. I remember laying in the back of the station wagon driving across the country. Most of you are old enough to remember a time where they didn't even have seat belts in most cars. Were still here. many are not. My kids and I are always buckled up.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #34

I agree with FT richard.

I wont chastise those that do if those that do wont chastise me.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #35

All it takes is once... Ever try to break a windshield? It's VERY hard to do, even with a sledge. Yet a person's head can go through it in an accident. Princess Diana would be alive today if she had a seat belt on. Your life, your choice.
I live in Korea. Korea has one of the highest fatality rates of the Asian nations. Why? People here truly believe that it's safe in the rear without belts.
When we are in an RV, all possible projectiles (coffee pots, etc.) are secured and all passengers are belted while traveling over 30 mph.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #36

While I as the driver and all of our special needs kids are always buckled up, DW often is not. I have been blamed many times for my driving when in fact sudden changes in traffic or road conditiond requires a sudden application of the brakes or a swerve around some idiot. You never know what may change around you.

For many years...before seat belts were common, I resisted their use. I have been fortunate. Stay safe, my friends.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
36 posts in one week and counting! Good input.

Any adult who doesn't want to wear a seat belt will always rationalize his/her belief with some misguided blather that they will be safer without one, that when their number is up... blah blah blah. There is NO evidence to suggest one is safer without a belt... but rest assured someone will respond to this post with some story about 'a cousin of a neighbor' that survived an accident without a belt.

I personally pulled a dead man from a gentle one-car rollover accident directly in front of our house. He was partially ejected thru the sunroof of his VW, and crushed, because he was not wearing a seat belt. Had he been belted, he would have walked away unscratched. Doesn't matter the size of the vehicle, you're still dead. I had to view the accident site every day, and it haunted me for years because it was such a tragic, needless waste of a young life.

And... any owner/driver that would allow any passenger to ride without a seat belt is setting him/herself to get their a** sued off, and when the lawyers get done with you, your life savings, your motorhome and your dignity will all be gone. If you have the ignition key in your hand, then YOU get to make the seat belt rules! 'My way, or the sidewalk'...(DW excepted).

And if you don't want to wear a seat belt, please sign your organ donor card. On behalf of organ recipients everywhere, your family and I thank your for your generous, unselfish donation.

I hope I wasn't unclear in my rant. Quoting Dave Ramsey, 'You can't cure stupid'.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #38

My DW and I always wore seat belts one day 20 years ago I'm in hospital DW come to visit dropped kids off at grandma. Kids didn't get backdoor closed completely on first latch. DW stops at stop sign rural SD gets out shuts rear door - another car comes up behind in hurry DW doesn't belt up. Less then 5 min later over width farm implement hits her on a Jill takes top off car head rest etc. all officials say if she had been buckled up she would be dead. Just wasn't her time. You can do everything right be extremely careful until it's your time.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Anyone who doesn't wear an available safety belt is foolish, just as anyone who doesn't wear a motorcycle helmet is foolish, just as anyone who smokes is foolish, just as anyone who doesn't eat green salads and exercise every day is foolish. That said, I won't presume to preach my beliefs upon you if you will afford me the same courtesy.

Personally, I choose to wear safety belts and motorcycle helmets, I don't smoke and I eat pretty well. You can do as you like as long as you accept the responsibility for your decisions, and don't burden others with the outcomes. That's what freedom is, no?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #40

Sargee, glad to hear she had avoided that.

From what I know she beat the odds. And I have seen some strange ones.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I guess that's why we all own our own vehicles. So we can as adults make educated decisions as to what level of safety we are willing to accept.

Me personally, with 145,000 miles of RV travel safely unrestrained is my choice. I'll allow you to make your own decisions without condemnation. It's my right as a free American to live my life how I see fit. - Regardless of the laws put into place by bureaucracy.

Why? - well its easy these laws were all written after I started driving. So I'm grandfathered in
FL Richard...I like your style! You and I agree completely!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
36 posts in one week and counting! Good input.

Any adult who doesn't want to wear a seat belt will always rationalize his/her belief with some misguided blather that they will be safer without one, that when their number is up... blah blah blah. There is NO evidence to suggest one is safer without a belt... but rest assured someone will respond to this post with some story about 'a cousin of a neighbor' that survived an accident without a belt.

I personally pulled a dead man from a gentle one-car rollover accident directly in front of our house. He was partially ejected thru the sunroof of his VW, and crushed, because he was not wearing a seat belt. Had he been belted, he would have walked away unscratched. Doesn't matter the size of the vehicle, you're still dead. I had to view the accident site every day, and it haunted me for years because it was such a tragic, needless waste of a young life.

And... any owner/driver that would allow any passenger to ride without a seat belt is setting him/herself to get their a** sued off, and when the lawyers get done with you, your life savings, your motorhome and your dignity will all be gone. If you have the ignition key in your hand, then YOU get to make the seat belt rules! 'My way, or the sidewalk'...(DW excepted).

And if you don't want to wear a seat belt, please sign your organ donor card. On behalf of organ recipients everywhere, your family and I thank your for your generous, unselfish donation.

I hope I wasn't unclear in my rant. Quoting Dave Ramsey, 'You can't cure stupid'.
[moderator edit] Why can't we all live our lives as we see fit and stop with all of the childish opinions...?