Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #43

[Moderator Edit] I would be in favor of people wearing belts ... BUT ... That is because if someone is badly hurt and can not pay, the OTHERS (including me) pay. (This includes payment through insurance premiums). So a "personal choice" of an individual affects ME, and that is what I object to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
... BUT ... That is because if someone is badly hurt and can not pay, the OTHERS (including me) pay. (This includes payment through insurance premiums). So a "personal choice" of an individual affects ME, and that is what I object to.
Thus, IMHO, the reason helmets are not required in some states for motorcycle riders.
Should a cyclist be hurt to the extent that major medical bills start racking up... should that same cyclist not have been wearing a helmet..... problem solved.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #45

we are going to wear ours while in the coach, but it will be allowed to make a quick trip to the potty or if mom wants to make us a quick snack.

Interested in seeing these navy style seat belts for the bed that someone had mentioned for my little one.

Sorry, I was in the Army and stayed away for ships !
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Thus, IMHO, the reason helmets are not required in some states for motorcycle riders.
Should a cyclist be hurt to the extent that major medical bills start racking up... should that same cyclist not have been wearing a helmet..... problem solved.
Any motorcycle rider that does not wear a helmet is foolish, but enacting helmet laws is not the answer. The answer is to allow insurance companies to deny claims of un-helmeted riders. Want to ride without a helmet? Fine. If you're injured or killed because of it, don't expect *any* benefits to be paid to your survivors or to cover your medical expenses.

Problem solved, no government intervention required.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Any motorcycle rider that does not wear a helmet is foolish, but enacting helmet laws is not the answer. The answer is to allow insurance companies to deny claims of un-helmeted riders. Want to ride without a helmet? Fine. If you're injured or killed because of it, don't expect *any* benefits to be paid to your survivors or to cover your medical expenses.

But, but, but .........
What will all those in Abate do? ........ (yes sarcasm, we ride and yes we wear helmets and all that goes with it.)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
WOW! I had no idea when I posted this it was to become the lighting rod of discussion. I want to be clear that I was always an advocate of the driver and co-pilot wearing a seat belt at all times, but I was curious about those who had additional passengers. I've been in numerous buses that I frequently stood in the aisle for the entire trip (granted, there were typically something to grab onto), but wondered how everyone approached it from an RV point of view. I've certainly seen the seat belts on the couches....they looked really uncomfortable at best. I'm curious how many of them are just "buried" and never used...
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
seat belts for everyone unless going to the bathroom or getting snack, and then only when on open road, not when in stop & go situations. And yes it makes no sense why my grandkids have to be seatbelted when in my car but not on the school bus.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

I am not for more regulation but......
At work we get "there was no sign to warn me", if there is a sign we get "I did not see the sign."
There are people and lawyers out there that believe we need to protect them from themselves.

As for seat belts again the statistics say seat belts save lives, but there are those that get rich off the lottery also.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #51

In my life's work I had to wear seat belts and shoulder harnesses and sometimes a helmet. So a seat belt is second nature. The DW and I will be strapped in except for the relieving and the food fixing. And is limited by the road we're on.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #52

Carolina Campers
I can not wait for the day that all vehicles are self driven.

First, if all the cars were automatically controlled that would take care of the drunk drivers....

Second, that would resolve most road rage....

Third, it would resolve those drivers that use their car as a way to bully every other driver they encounter...

Fourth, I could take a nap while driving... Just think, no more stopping when I get tired, or worse all the people that drive with their eyes closed...

Fifth, no more speeding tickets. In my thinking, a speed arrester should be standard equipment on cars. If your GPS knows the speed limit, they could control the vehicle speed as well NOW.

We also wear the seat belts, and as the driver, the law holds me as responsible for all passengers. I am the one that will take the blame and pay the price for any of my passengers not wearing the correct safety restraints, even if they are an adult. In my books, that takes the choice away from them. They don't have a choice as long as I am driving.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #53

Quote:
[Moderator Edit] I would be in favor of people wearing belts ... BUT ... That is because if someone is badly hurt and can not pay, the OTHERS (including me) pay. (This includes payment through insurance premiums). So a "personal choice" of an individual affects ME, and that is what I object to.
With the new health care plan...everyone pays for everyones' mishap(inured or not)..Just like we have all done with our homeowners and auto...MN or MO don't have hurricanes but when a hurricane hits the shores...insurance companies tag us with more $$ or when you live in an area with high auto accident rates, your rates tend to be higher. The good thing with homeowners or auto is we don't pay more for the uninsured.

My personal choice is to wear mine(my dad made all us kids when starting to drive wear them)..so I feel naked without...but I don't mandate anyone in my vehicle to do so...their personal choice
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #54

Quote:
This is no different than smokers raising rates for non-smokers, drinkers raising rates for non-drinkers etc... the argument doesn't hold water. You take care of you and I'll take care of me OK?

Remember the days of 55 mph speed limits and the slogan "55 saves lives" - The result was it just makes cripples.

I dont need the government telling me how to be safe. If they want to post recommendations, fine. Last I checked Americas still a free country; I fought to keep it that way and I refuse to be bullied by a bunch of do gooder bureaucrats. If it costs me a ticket or two that's my choice to pay as I go, and I'll continue to ride as I see fit. If you want to condemn me for not drinking the koolaid fine. I wont condemn you for drinking it.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I can not wait for the day that all vehicles are self driven.
But it would give all new meaning to a computer crash, or blue screen of death.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking Interesting!

We are new to the forum and I was just thinking about this subject. We have a 2000 Fleetwood Flair, new to us, that we bought last year. We traveled with grandkids, unbelted, in the coach sitting at the table and laying on the bed and I didn't think much of it. We have started some renovations, laying new flooring and took out the bench seats in favor of a table and 4 chairs. When the husband got the benches out, we found the seat belts stashed underneath! I didn't even know they were there! Front seat are belted always, there will be no more sitting at the table while underway as the table is not fastened to anything, nor are the chairs. They are bungeed to the wall to hold them while we are moving, but that's all. It will be just he and I from now on, anyway, so no problem.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote