Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Seat position, steering wheel and dashboard visibility

The two reference points I have are both Freightliner chassis, but I assume this applies to any class A DP.

With my seat adjusted and steering wheel set tithe most comfortable position, the wheel always seemed to block one or two of the gauges. The idiot light panel was always in sight, but oil pressure and maybe one other gauge would be blocked.

In the 2015 Discovery 40D we are buying, there is a smart wheel (yea!) and a combined gauge cluster with the idiot light panel at the bottom of the gauge panel. I can see all the gauges just fine with the seat/wheel adjusted to the most comfortable position, but the idiot light panel is completely blocked from my like of vision by the wheel. I'm concerned I might get a warning light and not notice it immediately as I have to lean forward to see the lights.

Has anyone else notice this? I might just put a small mirror at the top of the cluster so I'll see a warning light if it occurs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Given the wide range of heights of drivers, and therefore different eye levels, there's no way for the mfgs to design the layouts so that everyone can see the entire gauge cluster all of the time, so yes the wheel is likely to be blocking something for nearly everyone - but it might not be the same thing.
Personally I'm just used to moving my head a bit to see the hidden gauges, but if putting a mirror in works for then by all means go for it. This is one of those instances where you do whatever works best for you.
I'm not sure that *I* would be more likely to notice a light in a mirror than I am to see it when I do a visual sweep of the gauges, but that's just me.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
All of them I've been in have hidden parts of the dash...
but, as stated, not an issue for me...

How many times have you had a warning light before, I had one show up in a hidden area, but I still noticed it... the HEST light
would also think that a warning light would be noticed easily enough by your navigator too !
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452290538.519223.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	116033
This is how I fixed mine. Works great and not to hard to do this.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, if something serious happens, you should see other warnings and get some chimes.

This may be a little more extravagant than you may want, but I added the SilverLeaf VMSpc program to a small laptop. Many use small tablets. All the important stuff is right in view, and has a visual and audible alarm.

I find the program helps me get better mileage by letting me see my Instant MPG, Rolling HP and Rolling Torque. Since I installed mine 8 years ago on a previous coach, I don't move my coach without the system running. It connects to the data port on your coach and reads exactly what your Cummins computer sees. You can set the screen up a 1000 different ways....your choice.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Johndrew, I think you should find something else to worry about. The dash will beep at you if something happens that needs your attention.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Johndrew, I think you should find something else to worry about. The dash will beep at you if something happens that needs your attention.
I'm not worried. I'm curious if I'm not setting my seat up correctly with respect to the dash. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong where I'm positioning myself improperly or if the coach manufacturers simply don't give any thought to driving ergonomics. At 5' 9", I'm about as average sized as you can be so I'd expect to fit within a "normal drivers" profile.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Yup, got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically, if something serious happens, you should see other warnings and get some chimes.

This may be a little more extravagant than you may want, but I added the SilverLeaf VMSpc program to a small laptop. Many use small tablets. All the important stuff is right in view, and has a visual and audible alarm.

I find the program helps me get better mileage by letting me see my Instant MPG, Rolling HP and Rolling Torque. Since I installed mine 8 years ago on a previous coach, I don't move my coach without the system running. It connects to the data port on your coach and reads exactly what your Cummins computer sees. You can set the screen up a 1000 different ways....your choice.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adjust steering wheel

You can take the covers off the steering wheel column and there's an adjustment on the bottom that allows you tilt the steering wheel down more. Adjusting the seat also help so you can see more gauges. Adjusting the steering wheel down some blocks maybe the tachometer but I believe the other gauges are more important.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

A telescoping steering column does well

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #11

Hey thanks!. I always felt it should drop down more. It sure goes up plenty far. I feel like Ralph Kramden with the wheel almost horizontal.

I'll give that adjustment a try when we pick it up.

What year is your Discovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
You can take the covers off the steering wheel column and there's an adjustment on the bottom that allows you tilt the steering wheel down more. Adjusting the seat also help so you can see more gauges. Adjusting the steering wheel down some blocks maybe the tachometer but I believe the other gauges are more important.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
I have been a fire fighter for 19 years and we always have a blocked gauge no matter how you have the wheel or seat set up. All I have ever done is just do an eye sweep every few minutes. Some times the audio does not go off.

My dip is the same way. I do like how Dutch Star Don has his set up. I will be able to set that up real easy in my RV. I have a older unit so I have already had a issue with a false warning lite. I don't get any read outs with my stuff. It is warning or stop engine, trans, high temp. That is all I get other then low air.

Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dashboard, steering