Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #15

And i had one do a u turn right in front of me on a 4 lane highway, i was doing 45 mph, im not sure how he didnt roll the truck right in front of me. Wasnt too much longer and i upped the priority on getting the cams working. Talk about an adrenaline rush, i was shaking for a bit afterwards.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #16

Just yesterday I was going down a Interstate on ramp and I heard a noise like I had gotten on a rumble strip. I glanced at the right side view mirror and saw a car trying to pass me on the right hand shoulder. That shoulder couldn't have been more than 6 feet wide and the car was making those rumble strips sing! He got passed me just as I merged into the Interstate driving lane and then gave me the one finger salute.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What Dash Cam

I think I should also have a dash Cam but don't want to spent a lot of money. Do you have one you recommend.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since I bought one for each of my vehicles I've had less incidences. Like having tools and parts you never need.....
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post

With a camera there's another witness, and a pretty reliable one at that.
Except their attorney will never let your video see the light of day in a courtroom. That's why dash cameras are good for You Tube and sites like this but worthless legally.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Except their attorney will never let your video see the light of day in a courtroom. That's why dash cameras are good for You Tube and sites like this but worthless legally.

I'm not really up on legal stuff, but can their attorney deny the video and then it not be shown??
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I'm not really up on legal stuff, but can their attorney deny the video and then it not be shown??
You bet they will, it's called chain of evidence custody. There is no way to prove the video to be shown in court was the unaltered video taken at the time of occurrence. The only way to possibly get a dash cam video into court is if a police officer takes the entire dash cam as evidence at the time of occurrence, then it MIGHT make it into court.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Man, that was close! Great job of working the edge of the road to avoid it. That's exactly the reason I have a dash cam in every vehicle, including the motorcycle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #23

How did the brakes perform?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #24

Id trust video evidence more than most spoken evidence under oath. And ive used video evidence in municipal court and planning to in District court soon. Nothing related to RV.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Not a big issue. Most accidents are dealt with by the insurance companies. Dash cam let’s the adjusters know who is at fault.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I bought a $18 dash cam 5 years ago (card cost almost as much) after watching an attempted MH accident...junker cutting in and slamming on the brakes. Giving the LEO the memory card, not the camera, is not a bad idea if there is a question of who’s at fault.

Almost need it yesterday when a SUV forced me out of my lane. Happened so fast I did not know if I would hit a car next to me as I avoided it to the right. The SUV forced its way across 3 lanes (I was in the middle lane) so it could make a R turn from a 4th turn lane.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
How did the brakes perform?
I didn't slam on them as I knew I was never going to stop in the distance available.....I worked them about a 6 out of 10 to get rid of as much momentum as I could without risking the trailer going goofy, and then let go of them when the right side went in the dirt. Last thing you want then is the nose diving and all 5 wheels locking up in the dirt.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:
You bet they will, it's called chain of evidence custody. There is no way to prove the video to be shown in court was the unaltered video taken at the time of occurrence. The only way to possibly get a dash cam video into court is if a police officer takes the entire dash cam as evidence at the time of occurrence, then it MIGHT make it into court.
That's a very interesting point, and I can see it's validity although I will do further research. I will definitely keep in the back of my head that if I THINK the cam may be the "witness" I need I can ask the police to take it.

I think any reasonable court will accept the fact that I didn't have the time to doctor the thing between the accident and the police showing up, especially if i stay in sight during this period.

Food for thought.....

On edit..... After some surfing of a plethora of ambulance chaser's web sites the consensus seems to be that the court WILL look at dash cam footage.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash