RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Correct. Sometimes it's better to steer around something

And, here's a good utube video of a lawyer talking about dash cams:
Kinda long but interesting.

Very informative video. Thanks.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #58

I suggest the mods move this to a general forum. I use dash cams in my cars and my Class C. Every vehicle I own has one. Police used a video I had of a driver under the influence to convict several years ago.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Dash Cam monitor combo

I want to install new monitor, prefer 7Ē, to vie current rear camera full time while driving. Would pay dearly for a unit that also had a dash cam...anyone know of one? I canít find one anywhere! Help
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Oh dear. Glad you weren’t hurt
We have a dash cam that has two cameras -facing forward and rear (I think the purpose is to record behind you in case of a rear end collision-obviously in passenger vehicles).

We love it and has in our class A as ankther witness. My only issue with our dash cam is that it also records sound. Not always a good thing!

I’m often “documented” as yelling “can’t you see how big we are? You idiot I can’t stop on a dime!” ��*♀️

2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
cjnexplorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #61

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, a question for the insurance adjusters out there. How do you folks use and trust video from say dash cams? I can see the chain of evidence issue, and would seem good to alert an investing officer to the existence of the recording and request they take the cam or at least the removable disk as evidence in cases where there was an injury and a trail likely to follow. Can insurance folks view the vide if police are holding it? I'd liek to hear from those folks who work in these fields.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 7 View Post
Music added to the video when I edited it.
I call it bath tube music. I was watching a video with this music playing while refinishing a bath tube. My granddaughter climbed up in my lap and wanted to watch it over and over and over.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #63

In the last 900 miles of our trip my camera has caught a guy on a Harley falling over in front of us at a stop sign and a Allied Food Service 18 wheeler running us into the emergency lane after trying to pass us with on coming traffic.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
You slow to 20 mph on a 50mph road every time someone pulls OFF the road ahead of you?

Ever wonder why everyone is honking their horn at you?
What the jury is going to see in the video is a rich guy driving too fast for conditions.

I always wonder if folks on the road have weapons besides the one they are driving.

Yes you should slow down to whatever speed is necessary so that you do not have watch them die if they make a mistake.

In the video the horn was sounded to express irritation not to warn the driver before they made a mistake.

Unlike the OP I am not worried about irritating other drivers by driving slow. I am worried about stopping the MH without killing or hurting someone.

Aside from other drivers making mistakes and deer being deer, there are a lot of angry drivers out there.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
What the jury is going to see in the video is a rich guy driving too fast for conditions.

I always wonder if folks on the road have weapons besides the one they are driving.

Yes you should slow down to whatever speed is necessary so that you do not have watch them die if they make a mistake.

In the video the horn was sounded to express irritation not to warn the driver before they made a mistake.

Unlike the OP I am not worried about irritating other drivers by driving slow. I am worried about stopping the MH without killing or hurting someone.

Aside from other drivers making mistakes and deer being deer, there are a lot of angry drivers out there.
I dont ever recall a deer getting a citation for being stupid or angry.
Stupidity may cause anger . Im sure you will tell me anger causes stupidity...
Takes all kinds dont it ?
maddczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #66

Better to have the camera footage then not and worry about the chain of evidence and such afterwards. Keep the original unedited video stream on the chip and be sure to keep the camera running in case the other driver confesses it was all their fault before the police arrive or they lawyer up.

Get the largest memory chips your camera will support and carry spares just in case.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #67

Chain of custody sounds really legalese and has it's place... in criminal trials. Most accident lawsuits are in civil court, which has totally different standards. By the posters logic regarding CoC, there would be no admissible evidence in any civil matter since there would be no CoC. We all know that is not the case. Civil trials are decided on a preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt. Easily explained as, if it walks, flies and swims like a duck we can assume for legal purposes it is a duck. Video can be authenticated as never having been altered very easily and it would, most likely, fall on the defendant to prove it was altered. My dash cam, as most do, records time and date right on the video. It would be hard to dispute it without compelling evidence.
RichH
Not a lawyer, but I portrayed one in a school play back in the day.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
Chain of custody sounds really legalese and has it's place... in criminal trials. Most accident lawsuits are in civil court, which has totally different standards. By the posters logic regarding CoC, there would be no admissible evidence in any civil matter since there would be no CoC. We all know that is not the case. Civil trials are decided on a preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt. Easily explained as, if it walks, flies and swims like a duck we can assume for legal purposes it is a duck. Video can be authenticated as never having been altered very easily and it would, most likely, fall on the defendant to prove it was altered. My dash cam, as most do, records time and date right on the video. It would be hard to dispute it without compelling evidence.
RichH
Not a lawyer, but I portrayed one in a school play back in the day.
You probably stayed at a Holiday Inn too, right?

Your comments make sense. I may get a dash cam one of these days. But then, there are so many things I want to buy and the $10 per month my wife gives me for spend money just doesn't seem to allow that purchase.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #69

Bought a dash cam, on my first usage another motorhome with a driver in a hurry sideswiped me while passing me in a 35 mph zone he was doing at least 50 on a slight curve he could not control his coach. broke my drivers mirror damaged my slide topper awning. denied he drifted into my lane.
Dash cam save me from having an at fault accident. showed my video to responding police officer he wrote up incident as the other driver drifted into my lane gave copy of video to my insurance co. as evidence other drivers insurance still denied claim. Went to arbitration, arbitrator ruled in my favor and said other driver was driving recklessly ( video also showed my speed and location and a posted speed limit sign) was not charged with at fault accident and my co-pay deductible was paid to me

will not drive without a dash cam anymore
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #70

GPS Interference

Love my dashcam and fortunately never had to use it for evidence... just some nice memories. However, I found, and read some other instances, where the camera interferes with the GPS. My GPS would freeze up occasionally when my dashcam was on. Someone suggested putting aluminum foil all over the camera. I did that and it seemed to help but I still get a couple of lapses.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash