Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
And how does a "well maintained car" compare to a well maintained 30,000 pound motorhome?
Since I have yet to find any information on stopping distances for a motorhome, I would only be able to rely on my personal experience, having driven both, that a well maintained car would stop in a shorter distance than a well maintained 30,000 pound motorhome.

There will, no doubt, be those that disagree.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Since I have yet to find any information on stopping distances for a motorhome, I would only be able to rely on my personal experience, having driven both, that a well maintained car would stop in a shorter distance than a well maintained 30,000 pound motorhome.

There will, no doubt, be those that disagree.
Not me, I agree.... wholeheartedly. In fact I think a loaded motorhome stops about as well, or maybe a little better than a semi.... Bet there's data for that.

(Googling sounds)

The following represents an average of the plethora of answers I found.... I suspect that our Coaches are somewhere in between.....Wonder how many RV owners know this....

Quote:
At 55 MPH on dry pavement with good brakes, it can take a heavy vehicle about 390 feet to stop. It takes about 4 seconds. total stopping distance: At 55 MPH it will take about 6 seconds to stop a truck and the truck will have traveled about 512 feet.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Z-EDGE Model Z3. Has really worked well. Easy install.

Z-Edge Z3 2K HDR HD Car Dash Camera - Zero Edge Technology, LLC
That's the one that I got rid of. After 6 months, I had multiple problems with it crashing and failing to record properly. It wasn't the SD card, which worked fine in other hardware. It got replaced with the Garmin 55. Zero problems. Sometimes, you get what you pay for. I would argue that dash cams fall into that category.
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #88

Quote:
Not me, I agree.... wholeheartedly. In fact I think a loaded motorhome stops about as well, or maybe a little better than a semi.... Bet there's data for that.

(Googling sounds)

The following represents an average of the plethora of answers I found.... I suspect that our Coaches are somewhere in between.....Wonder how many RV owners know this....
I often wonder myself, and not just about RV owners.

The information on speed and stopping distance was intended to bring awareness to the fact that what could end tragically when traveling at 65mph could be a non-event at 50mph.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #89

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepeg View Post
That's the one that I got rid of. After 6 months, I had multiple problems with it crashing and failing to record properly. .
Been fortunate- Over 3 years and 41K miles in motorhome with no problems.

I had seen comments on heat and dashcams, Stow mine off the windshield when not in use.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #90

I would slow down, I would also as long as the road is clear, give him more room, which in the case of the video, would not have been a good thing. Just got back from 3000 mi. trip. Episodes like the videos are what rest areas are for.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #91

add another half second if you have air brakes before they apply after you hit them
Greg20d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddczech View Post
We’re told we should drive under the speed limit to accommodate stupid drivers. And we find that after saving lives by skilled driving, you will still get criticized !
I am telling the 'we' who have not figured it out yet that an RV is not a sports car. It scares me that you do not know who you are.

It is legal requirement to drive a safe speed for the conditions. When I am driving the MH that is almost always less than the speed limit because it takes a lot longer to stop. I think 65 mph is ok for a MH on an open road with light traffic.

When I lived in the mountains in California, CHP frequently issued reckless driving tickets if you lost control after hitting a deer.

Again deer in the roadway is an expected condition not an excuse.

Again what is the hurry. IIRC OP said he was 20 minutes from the campground.

Hang um, hang up high! I was an officer in the navy and worked the nuclear industry. I had the expectation to be held to a higher standard. If anyone has been reading this forum long enough they will know that any serious accident involving an RV it makes the news.

A big RV is a symbol of wealth privilege. Yes a dash cam can document the mistakes of others.

Of course there is more than one way to look at things. Your dash cam is evidence that you think others are stupid. However, when the dash cam shows that you did not act according; I for one may not think you are that smart and skilled.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #93

Quote:
I often wonder myself, and not just about RV owners.

The information on speed and stopping distance was intended to bring awareness to the fact that what could end tragically when traveling at 65mph could be a non-event at 50mph.
Yep, that's what I got from your post.

I find the amount of denial expressed by some folks to border on the dangerous. Been there, done that, and fortunately didn't injure or kill anyone while figuring out I was a dunce.

Consider that most "accidents" are not accidental - the loss or injury is a direct result of someone doing something they should not have done, or the result of failing to do something they should have done. Genuine accidents, where the potential outcome was unforeseeable, are very very rare.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #94

Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by maddczech
We’re told we should drive under the speed limit to accommodate stupid drivers. And we find that after saving lives by skilled driving, you will still get criticized !

Totally on point..

We are at -" If you don't drive like I want you to, you are a reckless, in denial dunce, driving your symbol of wealth privilege as a threat to all mankind"... "Hang em High" even when their prompt, obviously correct reaction prevented a disaster.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #95

Or, the point could be that a touch of caution may eliminate the need to take action in order to prevent a disaster.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #96

Quote:
Or, the point could be that a touch of caution may eliminate the need to take action in order to prevent a disaster.
That's a pretty moving target isn't it. Could be as little as "keeping your eyes on the road and when you see something take your foot off the gas and be ready to act" (which I did). Or it could mean a "touch of caution" is to slow to 25 mph in a 55 EVERY time you see something that could remotely become a threat. I've been in the car with drivers like that. Please stop... I'll walk.

And yes.... at 25 MPH you MAY be able to stop 35,000 pounds in LESS than 2 seconds. Remember, first you have to think about it, then you have to move your foot and press the pedal and then the air has to do it's thing.....

Slowing to 45, 40.....30 would NOT have been enough. All you back seat drivers would have still creamed him. Not as hard, but hard enough.

Maybe I should have STOPPED a half a mile back...... Yeah.... that's it!

The laws of physics apply. Even to trolls.

How about we all just drive by the rules?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #97

Quote:
That's a pretty moving target isn't it. Could be as little as "keeping your eyes on the road and when you see something take your foot off the gas and be ready to act" (which I did). Or it could mean a "touch of caution" is to slow to 25 mph in a 55 EVERY time you see something that could remotely become a threat. I've been in the car with drivers like that. Please stop... I'll walk.

And yes.... at 25 MPH you MAY be able to stop 35,000 pounds in LESS than 2 seconds. Remember, first you have to think about it, then you have to move your foot and press the pedal and then the air has to do it's thing.....

Slowing to 45, 40.....30 would NOT have been enough. All you back seat drivers would have still creamed him. Not as hard, but hard enough.

Maybe I should have STOPPED a half a mile back...... Yeah.... that's it!

The laws of physics apply. Even to trolls.

How about we all just drive by the rules?

Don't let the "you should have done this" type people get to you, it is not worth arguing with them, it is/was not your responsibility to try and figure out what the other party/drivers are going to do or what they are thinking, they are responsible for themselves, it is called personnel responsibility. You could have had the same experience if you slowed down. You did what you needed to do to avoid the accident and that is all there is to it.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #98

I pulled out of my driveway and there was a car down the street pulled over (maybe parked as we enter day 3).... as a defensive driver I slowed in case they pulled out... for fear they might t-bone me as i passed I decided to stop... we ended up spending 3 days parked in the middle of the road until my neighbour went to work Monday in said car....
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash