Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
IMO--- Hard braking as you go off the pavement may not be prudent. He steered around and maintained control. Hard to criticize success...
Agree
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #44

I commute three hours a day through Seattle traffic. I've tried several different dash cam models and have settled on the Garmin Dash Cam 55. There is a newer model, the 65, but it has too much of a fisheye lens. I also bought the glare filter for it. It's small and unobtrusive, and it GPS tracks the footage. It interfaces with my Samsung S8, which allows instant replay of any footage. I don't really care about what internet lawyers and YouTube says about the legality, whether it's admissable, etc. I'll let the court and law enforcement decide that. But having a recording is priceless given how much I drive. The previous dash cams I had were less expensive and a lot less reliable.
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #45

My RV had a b/w backup camera. I upgraded to color unit with side and front cameras. All 4 cameras record continuously. I also wired it so I can flip the system on when we are parked. Our own security cameras for Wallydocking.
dadhanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepeg View Post
I commute three hours a day through Seattle traffic. I've tried several different dash cam models and have settled on the Garmin Dash Cam 55. There is a newer model, the 65, but it has too much of a fisheye lens. I also bought the glare filter for it. It's small and unobtrusive, and it GPS tracks the footage. It interfaces with my Samsung S8, which allows instant replay of any footage. I don't really care about what internet lawyers and YouTube says about the legality, whether it's admissable, etc. I'll let the court and law enforcement decide that. But having a recording is priceless given how much I drive. The previous dash cams I had were less expensive and a lot less reliable.
3 hours per day driving to and from work??? How do people do that? I feel so sorry for you guys. Shoot, to me rush hour is when there are 3 vehicles in front of me at the only traffic signal in town!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #47

You should see what us motorcyclists deal with!
I had a lady pull off to side of road and then do turn like that car did taking off my engine guard & rear saddlebag on my Harley fulldresser. I ended up on otherside of road unhurt but two guys she was with jumped out and wanted to fight me. Lucky a cop was parked and saw it and came to arrest them. Her for DWI.
People turn in front of us constantly saying they don't see us even though my Harley has 3 headlights.
I drove car hauler OTR and would see cars tailgating/drafting big rigs and if that happened the car driver wouldn't be able to react in time to not hit other car!
Want a quick dashcam, use your cell phone or an old cell phone. Want a more official thing then yes theres an app for that!
In my MH I use a Rand mcnally GPS tracker with built in dashcam. Its portable so I can use it on my Harley.
outsidegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #48

On Coming Truck

Just this Wednesday 3/6/19 at 9:15 A.M. on RT 80 just East of Labelle FL not 300 feet into the construction zone. An oncoming 18 wheeler pulling a load of bulk mulch came at us passing. He was just 300 feet from getting to the point where the construction ended and he would have been on a 4 lane divided highway with wide shoulders. Nope he was fully committed to passing he was even with the front end of the car he was passing.

We came to a complete stop with the our right wheels off the pavement. He just got back in his lane by a whisker as the car he was passing also slowed to almost a stop anticipating a horrendous head on. Their was no ware fore any one to go Construction barriers on our Right Alligator Breading ditch with standing water to the left.

When we got to the Sheriffs Training Range we both shot the best we have this year. LoL Somebody was watching over us for shure.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
There is no doubt that was a foolish maneuver on the part of the automobile driver. The video does show that the vehicle on the side of the road with the flashers on was visible for at least 10 seconds prior to the close call. It also does not appear that very mush deceleration occurred prior to or during the entire event.
Agree. With flashers on, and oncoming car in other lane, I would have slowed down before I got any closer. Defensive driving slows down your trip somewhat, but I dont think you would have had to swerve to the shoulder if you would have just taken your foot of the accelerator. Seems a safer way to have handled the episode to me. jmo
beetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You bet they will, it's called chain of evidence custody. There is no way to prove the video to be shown in court was the unaltered video taken at the time of occurrence. The only way to possibly get a dash cam video into court is if a police officer takes the entire dash cam as evidence at the time of occurrence, then it MIGHT make it into court.
Not sure how that would work with the information from our dash cam. It has a continuous recording for date, time and GPS coordinates that would be very tough to alter.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
That's a very interesting point, and I can see it's validity although I will do further research. I will definitely keep in the back of my head that if I THINK the cam may be the "witness" I need I can ask the police to take it.

I think any reasonable court will accept the fact that I didn't have the time to doctor the thing between the accident and the police showing up, especially if i stay in sight during this period.

Food for thought.....

On edit..... After some surfing of a plethora of ambulance chaser's web sites the consensus seems to be that the court WILL look at dash cam footage.
Got my dashcam after a hit and run trucker side swiped me a few years ago
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #52

I have a 2-3 hour commute to Atlanta, so I have front and rear cameras. I had a woman with a heavy accent pull across four lanes on the ramp at spagetti junction, crossing the gore and bumping the front tire on my truck, bent her rear fender some, but no damage to my 2500 HD. The officer took her statement first, then wanted to know my version. I told the officer i can show you actually what happened, after viewing the video, the officer said thats what she figured happened, and went back to write the other driver a ticket!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetwo View Post
Agree. With flashers on, and oncoming car in other lane, I would have slowed down before I got any closer. Defensive driving slows down your trip somewhat, but I dont think you would have had to swerve to the shoulder if you would have just taken your foot of the accelerator. Seems a safer way to have handled the episode to me. jmo

His signal was TO THE RIGHT. He had left the road and was signaling just that. He was NOT signaling that he was about to re-enter the road.

In order to have been able to stop in the 200 feet he left me I would have had to slow to about 20mph.

You slow to 20 mph on a 50mph road every time someone pulls OFF the road ahead of you?

Ever wonder why everyone is honking their horn at you?

So now you're going to say that had I slowed down I would have been further back when he started his move. Right. Maybe I should have slowed down three days before in New York... If my aunt would have had balls she would have been my uncle....... Sheesh.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
His signal was TO THE RIGHT. He had left the road and was signaling just that. He was NOT signaling that he was about to re-enter the road.

In order to have been able to stop in the 200 feet he left me I would have had to slow to about 20mph.

You slow to 20 mph on a 50mph road every time someone pulls OFF the road ahead of you?

Ever wonder why everyone is honking their horn at you?

So now you're going to say that had I slowed down I would have been further back when he started his move. Right. Maybe I should have slowed down three days before in New York... If my aunt would have had balls she would have been my uncle....... Sheesh.
Ignore the hindsight backseat drivers. They're the ones everyone is honking at on the road for impeding traffic flow.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Here's the closest call I've ever had in my big truck in 38 years of driving... just last summer. I was in a single lane constructions zone... so was the guy coming at me!

FYI... I have sound turned off on my dash cam as I am on the phone (hands free) a lot and listening to talk radio the rest of the time. Music added to the video when I edited it.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #56

Yallza.... Well handled.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash