Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Second tier brands?

After Newmar and Tiffin and ? what brands are the next tier in quality, and maybe price?

We had been looking at 30’ travel trailers or 5ers then made the mistake of looking at a class A which we really liked (Winnie Vista 27PE) Now might be hooked.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
After Newmar and Tiffin and ? what brands are the next tier in quality, and maybe price?

We had been looking at 30’ travel trailers or 5ers then made the mistake of looking at a class A which we really liked (Winnie Vista 27PE) Now might be hooked.
Are you talking in about what is a better higher tier? What is your budget? I would recommend a used coach to start with.
Try looking at ppl.com and geting a feel for what floor plan you like.
Let me know and I may be able to make suggestions.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you mean higher tier or lower tier??
Got hooked .....yep common story. Good luck in your search.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Do you mean higher tier or lower tier??
Sorry. Assuming Newmar and Tiffin are first tier, what brands are thought of as being in the second tier (down)?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #5

Thank you.
That's what I am interested as well. Are there any 10-15 year old brands/models we really need to try and stay away from?
As I search on the internet, they all look pretty good. Some better floorplans than others.
But most have the same Cummins or Cat diesels, Freightliner or Spartan frames, and I guess the same appliances??
Just like you, I interested in what not to buy
Thanks

Wm Mayberry
Looking around Bradenton, FL
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You need to give us a price range to work with ... some 14 year old coaches could go for $600,000 plus (Newells, Prevost, Marathon conversions) and some 14 year old coaches can probably be had for $10,000 ..... (but may not run!).
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The MSRP price is equivalent to the tier. That's becasue RVs are extremely price competitive and nobody is able to simply charge more money for the same goods. So, for more money you get better quality construction and more amenities bundled into the package. When buying used, you can still research the original MSRP (NADA RV Guide has them) to help identifying the tier.

Most RV manufacturers produce a range of models in both lesser and higher price tiers, with commensurate quality of components and design. Some of the basic construction methods and workmanship will be shared across models, but things like better grades of cabinetry, flooring, upholstery & furnishings will appear in the higher priced models. Ditto for larger fridges, more capacity in water & electrical systems, better handling chassis, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
You need to give us a price range to work with ... some 14 year old coaches could go for $600,000 plus (Newells, Prevost, Marathon conversions) and some 14 year old coaches can probably be had for $10,000 ..... (but may not run!).
In our case <$100k. We can buy a new leftover Winnie Vista ~80k. To me Winnie is a good brand and for new that seems reasonable price. I’m sure I could buy used for a lot less but there’s more risk.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #9

I would go to RV Trader or RVT.com or a similar site and use the online filter tool to narrow the price and type (class A) and see what you come up with. I'm guessing everything from 10 year old diesel pushers to 2 year old gassers.

Personally I would be inclined toward a pre-2009 DP (maybe 2006-2008?). They are built to last, have higher end appointments, and you'll get a lot for your money if you look around. Going later than 2009 will drive the price over your budget and there were a lot of coaches in the 2009-2011 time period that suffered quality issues along with the economy. I would also tend to stay with a Cummins motor platform as they are currently better supported than ten year old Cats and Detroits.

From there it's research, personal preference, and floor plan. Happy hunting!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

IMO Winnie was a good quality brand 20 years ago, but got caught up in increasing number of units sold at the expense of quality. I base my opinion on my son's experience with a new 2012 42' Itasca. The company refused to help with a known problem with the heating system that they corrected on the 2014 models. Another acquaintance found so many things wrong on the PDI that he refused to accept it and Winnie said they were not going to correct the problems. The dealer, Camping World, refunded his deposit in full. Maybe isolated incidents, but gives cause for concern.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #11

I owned a Forest River Berkshire before my Dutch Star. For the price it was a great unit. No major problems to speak of.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy quality. Buy used.

Set a budget - go back in years till budget and RV values align.

IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ordered two Dutch Stars knowing they were not "top tier" but gave a good value for the money.
Present rig had a sticker of $750,000 and even then it's not "top tier" even within the Country Coach line.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Second tier brands?

Very subjective. Opinions only in many cases.
Each maker can have several levels rev group makes American , fleet wood , etc.
Winnebago and fleetwood forest river and jayco ( I won’t own another Thor product )
That’s only my opinion based on my needs and research as of a few years ago. I finally bought a used Beaver coach and after 3 + years I look at new ones and still can’t find a reason to trade “up”
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote