Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #15

We're new to motorhomes. That said, we've never locked homes (10), cars (over 100), boats, planes, etc. Not saying that it was wise, but we just don't plan on being accosted; maybe it's a psych defensive thing.

Anyway, these threads have convinced me to keep basement doors locked, rather than un-locked. What can it hurt? Thanks for the heads up!~

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #16

Security? What do you do and how far do you go?

Been camping since 1952. Never lost nuthin that was left on the picnic table.
I lock my bay doors and main door now, but the Weber Q and other goodies have never been pinched.
Cameras and such only record what happened. They prevent nuthin! Dont camp in places you need cameras or cops!
Go have fun! Relax.
Campers is mostly the best folks.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe a bit of practical advice. Locking your toad pins. I am not sure about any other manufacturers but Blue Ox makes a kit that has locking toad connector pins and locking hitch pin all keyed to the same lock. The kit is not that expensive and it is not easy to find a quality long shank lock that will fit on the locking pins.

Steel cables will keep stuff from walking away. Of course a determined thief etc etc. I would be a bit curious if someone parked next to me was gone and someone else came up with a pair of bolt cutters to remove stuff.

Don't get a false sense of security. I wont mention the brand in this post but I can open my locked bottom storage compartments almost as fast without a key as I can with one.

I always use my deadbolt lock on my door rather than the lock built into the handle. In my case I was worried about some posts that the lock built into the handle will break causing problems. I also have read about the salesman key that will open any of those door handle locks.

When I used my automatic portable satellite dish I locked it up at night when I went to bed or when I left the campsite. I know people leave them out all the time but I did not want to be one of the people that got up in the morning and found a cut cable where the satellite dish used to set.

I have a 2012 buick enclave. This has a chipped ignition key I had a locksmith make a standard GM ignition key without the chip and I use it in the steering column when I leave it on to unlock the steering wheel. If I park at Walmart and go in for groceries someone cannot walk up and find my car sitting there with a key in it if I forget to remove it before going inside. If they think they have a gold mine they will be severely disappointed when they try to start it. ( make sure when you try to start it that you don't get upset about it not starting until you make sure which key is in there )

Other than that I don't worry that is what insurance is for. Like other people have posted I have never had anything stolen but there is always that first time.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have keyed alike master locks on all my RoadMaster pins and the Sterling is also locked in the receiver.
Was at a Home Depot with a utility trailer some years ago,got stuff and started to drive off when I noticed several teens watching too intently. Stopped and found the trailer socket latch was undone. Now I lock even that!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Security? What do you do and how far do you go?

We believe the following enhance our RV security.
We:
- use keyed-alike locking hitch and base plate pins on our Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar
- keep towed vehicle locked at all times, including while in tow
- do a walk-around inspection before pulling away after every stop while on the road
- use hidden locked safe when indicated
- keep all bay doors, engine and genset hatches, entrance door and windows locked while travelling or parked at night and anytime the coach is out of our sight as appropriate
- secure most valuables inside and activate our perimeter alarm system and interior motion sensors when leaving the coach parked at a campsite or elsewhere
Hope this feedback is helpful!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #20

When we started full timing back in 1999 we discussed this and came to this conclusion. If we tempt somebody to steal we are as guilty as he who steals. We act accordingly.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
When we started full timing back in 1999 we discussed this and came to this conclusion. If we tempt somebody to steal we are as guilty as he who steals. We act accordingly.
WOW

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #22

1. Lock everything that can be locked
2. Don't leave anything of significant value when you're away
3. Simply be defensive when not is familiar surroundings
4. Don't tempt fate
5. Smile a lot!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to lock all of the pins on my tow bar until I got to thinking it would be difficult to disconnect if there was an issue, like a coach engine fire (DP) or a car fire. I still lock the base plates on, but I leave the main pins unlocked and always check before I move the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use to lock all of the pins on my tow bar until I got to thinking it would be difficult to disconnect if there was an issue, like a coach engine fire (DP) or a car fire. I still lock the base plates on, but I leave the main pins unlocked and always check before I move the coach.

Dutch Star Don
You make a good point! I'll be cogitating further on that one.
One thought - I assume you carry spare pins in case someone "borrows" one or more. We should all have spare pins on hand for that matter, locking or not.
Mind you, having learned so much from reading many of your posts over the years, you undoubtedly carry spares anyway.
Hugh
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #25

Here is a way to keep your batteries for your travel trailer secure....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410101609.988279.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	73236
Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #26

I have been full timing for over two years now. I have had two bikes stolen. One had a value of 5000.00 and the other 2500.00. The higher value was unlocked and tucked under a slide to keep it out of the rain. We were at a high end RV resort. The other was locked with a cable lock at the KOA in SLC. Someone cut the lock. Cable locks are east to cut with basic snippers. I now use a chain lock that I got at Lowes for the bikes.

I keep near spray in the coach, lock up at night and keep the bikes secure.
JJ
Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #27

We live in an area that has been safe forever. The motorhome sits under an RV port unlocked with the keys in the ignition. We rarely lock the house and the vehicles in the garage also have the keys in them. After 50+ years and nothing stolen, we don't give it a second thought. So when we travel in the motorhome, we have to remind ourselves that we are not home. I keep the trailer locked while on the road and all the doors lock with the punch of button. They unlock with a number code. I read to NEVER use the remote to lock or unlock the doors as there are code readers that can pick up the signal and enter the coach when you are out of sight. It still bugs me that I have to guard against worthless thugs when I leave home. I've often thought that leaving one hanging from a nearby tree would be a deterrent, but probably not legal.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We do put a lock on our bicycles if we leave the CG. We also have a self-contained door alarm that we arm when we leave and at night. So far we have never had anything stolen, chairs, etc., but don't want to take any chances with the more expensive stuff!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote