Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #29

We do try to take precautions on the road some might think extreme till they get broken into. At SnB we are just like Crasher with keys in trucks, RV left open, doors open when we go out for couple hours here and there. Maybe we are too naive for our own good but..........

Only ever had one problem in 15 years of RVing: Heard a noise at back of RV when in bed one night around 12.30am boondocking in Kelowna BC large open car park of stores. I snuck up to drivers seat pressed on rear view camera and saw the guy trying to undo locks on seadoo hitched to RV. Went and woke hubby trying to keep him quiet (not easy when woken up!), told him. He grabbed 4 ft wooden table support pole by door, ran out in his underwear bless him, and guy ran off. Less than a minute later a buddy turned up in car with cutters but they both hightailed it as by then engines were started and we were headed to find a group of RVers at good old Walmart (now you know why other RVers group in numbers LOL). Guess I was easily woken because I never felt comfortable where we'd stopped in the first place and didn't want another tiff with hubby to find somewhere else after saying 4 other places he wanted to pull in were no good.

We hadn't been to Kelowna for about 9 years, and remembered a great safe feeling place. However on that last trip there we noticed the people seemed to have changed, the overall impression had changed and that all Jewellery stores were locked and had doorbells on them to gain entry.

Not sure how true this is but ........We were told by locals that Vancouver had offered a deal to a lot of homeless and shipped them up to Kelowna in bus loads and that's when their problems started. Just sharing what we were told whether true or not.

Precautions = For personal safety: trust my gut feeling before stopping anywhere always, even if it means driving further on than we want to - hubby now agrees for the mostpart as I wouldn't sleep worrying. Try to locate ourselves where there are other RVers generally in number except when rustic boon docking where we're likely to be not far from the Rig and it's highly unlikely an opportunitist will head that far out from civilization to do anything

Precautions For Theft: Pull down day blinds, leave something with noise on if possible, hide or secure back in bays anything that's a quick easy sweep. Split our monies, any jewellery or small valuables into four or five different sets and hide all over the RV in least expected areas, (ie; ziplock in bottom sugar/coffee jars, in pillow covers, taped under seats - so heaven forbid they find one or two they might not find the lot. Never leave the two sets of keys in view.

Odd times we stay in actual campgrounds ask at check in any problems with theft, break in's any wildlife precautions, anything we need to be aware of. San Diego said lock everything down theft mainly BBQ's and Bikes. LA were advised undesirables wander in but nothing major.

Like I said depends where we are and may seem extreme to some but relatable to others.

As long as you can sleep at night chances are you've covered your bases

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #30

The only time we lock anything is when we are in a campground and are either going to sleep or going away during daylight hours to keep the honest ones honest. At home, MH is not locked including the basement. Someone would have to steal a great deal of stuff to offset the cost to repair of doors, windows etc. A few years back, a thief broke into our fifthwheel, stole nothing but did $1,200 damage to the door.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #31

says it all

Nothing like a warning so everyone is on the same wave link
Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Lots of good stuff, taking it all in. Any brands of safe better than another? Have 2 kayaks ($1,500 each) that I'm looking to lock up under the MH on a motorized cable pulley system so it will put them up off the ground/up high. Something along the lines of a spare tire on pickups. Still in the planing stages. Will post pictures when done. Love the wasp spray idea, DW has already bought 6 cans lol. Our goal is to travel, camp, then explore the areas and, feel safe leaving out stuff at the camp ground in of at the MH. Thanks for all the great ideas. Terry
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh I am sorry that my motion activated alarm system, model 442, (4 feet--42 Teeth,) also known as a "dog," bit you so hard when you came inside my RV un-annouced and not invited.

There seems to be a lot of blood, and I bet it hurts like heck.

Do you want to call the cops now?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ask the folks at check in if they have had any theft issues, if YES................adios. !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #35

We have the motion operated patio light mentioned by Pasdad1 and it works well. You can use it as a regular patio light or motion operated. Very easy to install.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Oh I am sorry that my motion activated alarm system, model 442, (4 feet--42 Teeth,) also known as a "dog," bit you so hard when you came inside my RV un-annouced and not invited.

There seems to be a lot of blood, and I bet it hurts like heck.

Do you want to call the cops now?
I can sense your compassion.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote