Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Security? What do you do and how far do you go?

New to class "A" and will be full timing soon. So what precautions and security do you use on your MH. Don't post I have a hide away safe under my bed, but do mention that you use a lockable safe. Something I never though to do in all my years of rving was to lock down my battery. On one of my TT I owned,
in July this last year! someone borrowed my battery, during the day, parked in my driveway. So, again new to MH, with a toad I want to be prepared. One of the suggestions, so far, was to replace all the hitch pins on the toad hook up with locking locks (longer shank, keyed alike) so while sleeping at Walmart overnight a prankster would not walk by and remove just on. All comments are welcom but, don't turn this into a we need more jails post, keep focused on what you have added or do. Thanks

2 of us + 1 rescue, Sadie (not sure who rescued who)
Toad: 11' 2dr Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Fit Sport
11' Bay Star 3302,11' Alpine 3555RL 40' 5er
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure to check out our Full timing forum for this and other help.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I've just been lucky but have never had anything stolen or any other problems in 20 years of RVing in campers and motorhomes. As you say you will be fulltiming, you will probably be near the RV most of the time. I don't take any more precautions than I would at home. I don't however leave any valuables laying around outside, but do usually leave chairs and such out. Remember, locks just keep honest people honest, seldom stops a determined thief.

As for overnighting at places like Walmart, you're just taking you chances. Lot of low lifes hang around those places just looking for victims.

PS; Welcome and enjoy your new motorhome.

Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do carry Wasp spray everywhere we travel. For personal security, it is cheaper than bear spray and LEOs do not give it an extra look. You can even go to Canada with it! Helps keep pests that wish to do YOU harm away long enough to exit stage right....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We keep our coach locked when we are away from it and at night. Also have 2 cable locks, one for the bikes and one for the chairs (they were $100 each). Call me paranoid if you want, but it only takes a minute to lock them up and there is no shortage of disturbed people in the world. We've been in CG's in AZ, CO and CA where the CG host mentioned that they've had problems with theft. For the little effort it takes to secure my stuff I prefer not to have regrets in the AM.
Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
11 years no problems, keep bear spray near the door, works on all kinds of critters.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
I just have not found security to be an issue. Common sense is the rule. You don't level expensive electronics out side just as you wouldn't leave them on the front seat of an unlocked car.
You should not have any problems leaving things like chairs, tables, grill, portable sat dish, and things like that out all the time. Lock your basement doors the same as you would lock a garage door in a S&B. Security in a MH is no different than in a S&B; it's just common sense.
As far as personal safety goes you are probably safer in a MH than in a S&B. I can guarantee that no one is going to be able to kick open a MH door like they can a house door. Add to that you'll probably get to know your neighbors in a park quicker than most people who live in neighborhoods.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, the OP's question was about securing your items, not personal protection.

Let's not go into self defense as we already have several threads on that topic.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
For outside, I took about a 50 ft length of small gauge stainless marine rigging wire , swedged an eye on each end and use that and a couple padlocks to secure our kayaks,bicycles and other stuff that might walk away. Not the greatest, but would deter an ametuer looking for an easy pickup. Sort of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Inside, I really don't do anything... just lock the door when we are away
Only had once incident on 25 years of RVing ---- got back from fishing, I left a small cooler on the picnic table with a few beers in it.... the beers were gone in the morning and I found the empties over at the playground area. f
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #10

I was going to mount one of these dummy cameras outside the coach...looks real because this company actually takes defective cameras and markets them as non-working dummies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410031991.163370.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	73167
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
We lock ours everytime we leave it, even if going to the next door campsite. I also have these little square boxes with a bliking red light that I put on the wall and dsah area. That way if anyone is snooping hopefully they will see the flashing light and think it is a burglar alarm. They are more obvious at night. Burglars will generally go to the place with least resistance, unless there is something specific they saw or heard about that they want in your MH or House. You would not believe how many people leave their stuff unlocked(that would be the point of least resistance for the simplest minded burglar, even kids)...and then it goes up from there. Also when it comes to wanting something specfic, We were camping in a State Park one night and you could here these guys talking about their CCW and all the weapons they carry in their MH...not a good thing to do as crooks wander around and listen to people talk, and then go burg the place when you go out for a walk or drive away in your car. Same thing applies to talking about money or the safe you have in the MH.Now all this being said I think you are much safer in a campground than you are in even some of the safest neighborhoods around, there is just more to steal in a house.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #12

This is also on my "wish list" of items.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410048060.245239.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	73189
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I now have locking pins on all of my hitch connections after I found one of the non-locking ones missing. I didn't secure it properly or someone removed it. I just automatically lock the outside bins all the time and we lock the entry door when the RV is out of sight. We do a lot of Rallies at Fairgrounds and have seen a few times where things went missing from unlocked bins and some unsecured bicycles were taken.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use all mentioned above--fake video cameras, real ones too, bike locks for pricey stuff, motion lights, and personal protection inside...

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote