Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #15

We had a similar problem at first with our older '88 Winnie - but new shocks and stabilizer, plus new front tires with different tread pattern completely fixed it - but wouldn't expect that on a late model like yours...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #16

excuse me...we're talking about a new coach here. not a crotch sprung 10 year old plus unit like yours and mine. it is set to factory specs and probably perfect. give this guy some slack. it is all newby fear which is very normal. dont antagonize him any further.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
"buki" must need a few more mellowing years between his ears...

Would think that deeming others "idiots" would take a bit more evaluation and a lot more facts than seem to reside within the small gap between his ears... but then I have just begun this RV'in thing and with only 40 years at it I have sooooooo much to learn from the yunguns with eagle mouths and humminbird brains.

I do NOT suffer from mentall illness, but rather enjoy it daily ! CHILL buki and learn
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Must be a troll. Only a troll would post so much wrong info!
I would have all of the things afore mentioned checked, you do your homework and then after knowing you have all in order, then you will be able to relax and drive, this is like flying, there are dearing and risky pilots and there are old pilots but there are not old dearing risky pilots when you see how long Mr_D has been RVing .....who would you listen to?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by buki
excuse me...we're talking about a new coach here. not a crotch sprung 10 year old plus unit like yours and mine. it is set to factory specs and probably perfect. give this guy some slack. it is all newby fear which is very normal. dont antagonize him any further.
Sorry buki but this things many times need help coming out of the factory, I bought a fiver and ruined two tires on the first 5000 miles because the factory did not aligned the axles properly. After that no more problems.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #20

For what it's worth: Older rigs (such as our '89 class A) have the 80" wheel width. Newer semis and large Rvs have 102" wheel spacing. The slight wear patterns in the road can cause the narrower rigs to want to climb up and out of the existing track unless alignment is correct. After we had our Class A aligned the "wandering" caused by the track widths in the highway was reduced to almost zero.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #21

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I scheduled an alignment for next week so we'll see what that brings.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #22

CWFR- for what it is worth I'm with you. I think it is outrageous that Manufacturers & Dealers get away with selling NEW product which requires you to spend this much time, aggivation and expense to correct. Why (?) do we as an RV community continue to make excuses for these people and think it is OK that you should have to spend thousands on after market gizmos to correct what should have been "right" before you left the Dealers lot!

As to the comments that you don't know how to drive...if you need special training and courses in order to drive your NEW RV then this should have been disclosed to you by the Manufacturer & Dealer prior to purchase so you could have chosen a different unit.

Just my opinion but if you have to consider adding either handling or performance aftermarket gizmos to your NEW RV.... Keep shopping!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I added caster (1-2 degrees more), reduced tire pressure to 5 lbs over minimum, and started just holding the wheel in one place more (not over correcting).
Please notice how much I spent "$0"
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 2002 Southwind with a Ford like yours. The advise Gary RV Roamer provided is the best to follow. Remember you are setting more over the front wheels on a Class A, while your in your car you are setting behind the front wheels, so the big box is different to drive, but just stick with it and you will love them. I have been driving one over 20 years. I have never felt as free as when I get behind the steering wheel on a trip to where ever.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I added caster (1-2 degrees more), reduced tire pressure to 5 lbs over minimum, and started just holding the wheel in one place more (not over correcting).
Please notice how much I spent "$0"

How did you add caster?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
and one more thing...this whole weight thing is a myth. if you're not packing a 54 mgtd, a herd of angus bulls and a 450 lb mother in law, your clothes and a little food wont affect your rig at all. it is already designed to carry a full tanks of water, propane and anything other little things you put in the compartments. relax. mellow out. have fun. this deal is a whole lot easier than these forums will make you think.

You crack us up puki! Everyone knows that a 1954 MG is a TF, NOT a TD.

Fast Eddie
1945 MG TC
1952 MG TD
1959 MGA
1969 MGB GT V8
1971 Triumph GT6 Mk III
2011 Jaguar XK-R
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
improper toe (toe out) makes anything handle horrible, downright spooky.

Caster is added to a solid axle suspension by inserting wedge shaped shims between the axle and the leaf spring. 3 1/2 to perhaps as much as 6 degrees of caster is good. With a lot of caster, the steering will tend to return to and stay on center, which will help with wandering.

The newer F53's have a front track bar, and I think a rear one too from the factory.

Shocks are probably monroe's, replace them with bilstien or koni at 20k miles or so. (on my list for this winter, my monaco DP will need 8 of them, ouch!)
Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #28

Cwfr, as others have said, check your alignment, set tire pressures correctly (you will need to weigh your coach when fully loaded) per the tire manuf. specs. Like someone else said big box on wheels blows around on the road, slow down until you get used to it and enjoy the trip. If after a few trips you still don't like the way it drives, you can start spending lots of $$$ on fancey shocks, after market steering products and some of them will help.
But the bottom line is you can't make a house on wheels handle really well. good luck

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote