Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a 36 ft Bounder and was new to class A driving. I was however fairly familiar with driving while pulling a camper, so I was used to the "push" from a Tractor Trailer rig as it comes by on the Interstate.
Here is a list of things that will make your driving life easier.
1.) Tire pressure-the most important item on your rig while driving. Take good care of them.
2.) Alignment-If ALL is not right with the front end, many issues will arise. Plus uneven tire wear will create havoc while driving your rig and MH tires are not cheap.
3.) Your F-53 chassis has some very solid sway bar dampeners and such, so consider air bags. I installed Firestone Ride Rites on my rig, and could not believe the difference. They can be purchased for around $750.00 USD. Air bags will help with that body roll feeling, that can cause you to over steer your rig.
I hope these suggestions help you, as much as they helped when they were passed along to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #30

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
CWFR- for what it is worth I'm with you. I think it is outrageous that Manufacturers & Dealers get away with selling NEW product which requires you to spend this much time, aggivation and expense to correct. Why (?) do we as an RV community continue to make excuses for these people and think it is OK that you should have to spend thousands on after market gizmos to correct what should have been "right" before you left the Dealers lot!

As to the comments that you don't know how to drive...if you need special training and courses in order to drive your NEW RV then this should have been disclosed to you by the Manufacturer & Dealer prior to purchase so you could have chosen a different unit.

Just my opinion but if you have to consider adding either handling or performance aftermarket gizmos to your NEW RV.... Keep shopping!
My sentiments exactly. Why do we let them get away with this poor quality control, then make all kinds of excuses? Seems the whole industry has poor quality control. From what I read here at least Tiffin has good customer service.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #31

One of the first mods I made on my Ford 1998 Southwind 32V was to replace the steering stabilzer, which looked like Ford took it off a screen door somewhere, with the SafeT Plus system. That made a hugh handling difference. I wasn't happy with the "tail wagging the dog" aspect when being passed by 18 wheelers so I added a rear track bar. Another hugh improvement. The last mod was the Steer Safe System. My storage lot neighbor was selling his rig and gave me the system so I installed it.

My rig tracks perfectly and I can steer it with one finger.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #32

I'm no expert, but can tell you my experience. I thought it was a given that a coach would not handle like a sports car. That being said, on a long trip to Yellowstone in plenty of wind, I thought our 30' coach handled less well than I expected. Of course, I have never driven a big DP so have nothing to compare it to except a smaller class C. Since the coach was new, I made the mistake of not checking tire pressures. Some time after we got home, I checked and found one of the outside rear tires had about half the recommended air pressure. I filled it up and it seemed to handle much better on next trip. Turned out to have a bad valve. I keep my tires at the pressure listed on the placard near the driver seat. I don't want to keep messing with pressure depending on load. In my experience bad handling comes more from tires being under inflated. Lower pressure can give a softer ride, but also more mushy handling. All the other idea given here might help - all you can do is to try them, but air is free so I'd start there. Here's a link to another long series of posts regarding handling. I haven't tried it yet, but probably will. Its also free. Cheap Handling Fix
Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of hand wringers and lawyer callers here...
I thought this forum was mostly frequented by the "we're resonsible for our own stuff" generation?

Tho it is true that nobody takes on the expense of aligning and setting the correct tire pressure on a new rv.

The 99 pace arrow I had had a placard on the visor, I think from ford, stating that the selling dealer must do an alignment after all equipment was added and installed.

Of course there is not a dealer on this earth who will just do that. Uf the customer tells him to he will, but only then.

Ya, it sucks, but it is. Do your pdi. Drive your new coach, make sure it is right before u hand over thecash and roll down the road.

The first time is always the hardest.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #34

call precision frame& alignment 763-241-9474 it's worth the drive elk river MN .
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #35

CWFR....help me out here....did you post this message because you wanted advice on how to fix the handling problems with your NEW motorhome.....OR...did you want advice on what to do about what you feel is an inferior product sold to you under false pretence by an unscrupulous Dealer and a Manufacturer that cut corners designing the body & chassis combination?

If it is the latter...in other words, you are questioning "how" what you thought was a reputable Dealer could sell you what you were lead to believe was a reputable product, that turned out to be in your opinion, something that is clearly unstable and unsafe putting you and your family in danger....then jump back in or your going to get all kinds of third party stories of the thousands of dollars people have spend on aftermarket devices to correct problems which simply reflect poor design and engineeering by RV manufacturers.

If we as an RV Community do not stop make excuses for the Industry (Builders & Dealers) and keep blaming the victim (us).... give me a break driving a motorhome is not that hard...it only took my Golden Retreiver a couple of hundred miles to get the hang of it...mind you I still have to work the Allison tranny buttons as her giant paws always seem to muddle the various functions......innocent families are going to get killed trying to enjoy a fantastic activity. The automobile community does not accept this treatment....can you spell "class action" if a BMW dealer told you you needed new shocks, aftermarket sway bars and a steering assist gizmo in order to safely drive your NEW $100,000.00 bimmer!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #36

I guess I should clear he air on a few issues. I requested assistance for 2 reasons 1. suggestions to resolve the issue with the least expense to me 2. to determine if others may have experienced similar handling issues.
I guess I became overwhelmed speaking with the service adviser when he informed me that this occurs quite frequently and the sure fix is the aftermarket products which is at a cost to the consumer. I cannot post my exact response for obvious reasons but I thought he was joking...this could cost me another 2,000. Simply unbelievable and outrageous.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #37

I don't know why someone would call those who posted here "lawyer callers and hand wringers" because they don't like shoddy quality. If we're responsible for our own stuff, then why don't we just build the entire motor home - then we can only blame ourselves if something is wrong. However, most can't do that so we pay, sometimes dearly, for others to do it for us. Why then should we accept poor quality? If someone wants to do that for their money, fine. I do not. We need to push manufacturers to do what is right. I had to do that with Newmar to fix a simple problem with the a/c. They tried to ignore me for a time. The huge after market industry for motor home handling equipment tells me that they don't make them correctly. They do it because we consumers let them get away with it.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps we should sit back and wait to hear from the OP regarding the results of
1. front end alignment
2 Weighing the coach, and determining and setting the correct tire pressures.

Beyond those, I'd expect a new F53 coach to drive and handle pretty well.
I'd think practice and experience for the driver would help, and perhaps a second opinion from an experienced large vehicle driver without a horse in this race might be nice if the owner was still not satisfied with the handling.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
one more thing alignment has NOTHING to do with tracking unless you have run thru a five foot deep pothole at 70 mph. alignment has to do with tire wear and nothing else.[moderator edit]
did you really just say that alignment has NOTHING to do with tracking.... wow... where the crap do you get your information.... i think you should go spend 10 seconds either 1. on the internet doing homework or 2. walking into an alignment shop wearing a sign that says just that...

now on the agreement side of things, I agree 100% on it being the newby thing, however if its new, it doesn't always mean that its right, however, I wouldn't worry about coughing up the mula for an alignment yet... my 93 rig did the same thing when I got it, i didn't know what i just bought... but i kept it empty and put about 400 miles on it over the weekends... made a world of difference "learning" how to drive again... just give it some time, don't be in a hurry, and don't pull a toad for a while til you get the hang of her. you'll be cruisin in no time... if after about 4-500 miles you still have troubles... then i would go for the alignment.

good luck to ya! its a ton more fun than this, I PROMISE!!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfr_001 View Post
I guess I should clear he air on a few issues. I requested assistance for 2 reasons 1. suggestions to resolve the issue with the least expense to me 2. to determine if others may have experienced similar handling issues.
I guess I became overwhelmed speaking with the service adviser when he informed me that this occurs quite frequently and the sure fix is the aftermarket products which is at a cost to the consumer. I cannot post my exact response for obvious reasons but I thought he was joking...this could cost me another 2,000. Simply unbelievable and outrageous.
If this is the case you will get lots of suggestions on "how" to fix your NEW Motorhome because there is a huge aftermarket dedicated to fixing poor engineering, design and fabrication in the RV Industry.... Hope you got a BIG wallet!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #41

I also drive to Nova Scotia from Ontario and it's not the big trucks that make me sway all over the road. It's the horrible road conditions driving through Quebec. I started looking at routes through the US to bypass Quebec.

Having said that, my A class Ford chasis does take a lot to get use to.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #42

As I said previously, I would start with making sure the tires are inflated correctly according to the sticker which is probably near or behind the driver seat. I wouldn't spend money on alignments or after market stuff. You might have to fight to get the dealer to align the coach if needed, or to otherwise fix the problem. Trouble is, bad handling is a more subjective thing. If you had experience driving other makes, you'd have more to go on. In other words, how to you prove your coach doesn't handle well? That's harder to do than if something just breaks. Good luck, but remember, it will never handle like a car - but it should be safe to drive.