Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Seeking more advice for a 1st timer

Am headed out to pick up my 89 Silver Eagle tomorrow and before I fork over the rest of the cash I would like to ask what you would have asked about your first RV before driving it down the road? I have a checklist for the mechanical things, AC, etc.
I just am trying to minimize the number of things things that I'll be saying to myself...I wish I asked about that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the ref. is cold top and bottom. Run furnace. make sure dash air cools. Dash heater works. Windshield wipers work. Fill all water tanks and holding tanks to check for leaks. Test drive and check cooling in stop and go driving. Leave idling when you return from test drive to check cooling at idle. These are the major checks.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check tire date codes. If they're old it might leave some wiggle room as far as the price you negotiate if you have to replace the rubber. Check the roof if possible.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look under RV for dripping fluids and bring a video camera (or some other new-fangled device) for the walk-thru.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

Check top AND bottom radiator hoses. Run the generator. Make sure all dash gauges and switches work.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #6

...... Also climb onto the roof and check for any damage, loose sealant, etc.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #7

Do you have an emergency road side service plan? If not, Coachnet is one that I recommend, but others exist... Good insurance, especially with an unproven to you coach.

Go slow, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Thank you for some very helpful advice!!!! Just to be safe I got both Coachnet and AAA Premiere RV. I know there were generator and alternator issues that they said have been fixed among other minor things. The tires are fair, and will be replaced as $ permits. I will just take it sliw from Ft Smith AR to Odessa TX where it'll be my home 3 weeks at a time.
Thanks again for the input!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Make sure the ref. is cold top and bottom. Run furnace. make sure dash air cools. Dash heater works. Windshield wipers work. Fill all water tanks and holding tanks to check for leaks. Test drive and check cooling in stop and go driving. Leave idling when you return from test drive to check cooling at idle. These are the major checks.
Yes on the wipers. Brought mine home on a 8 hour drive and in a downpoor the wipers were missalined.... Then e driver blade shot into the left hand lane. I did repair it at minimal cost, but it was a bad time to test it. Had to pull off an exit with my head out the window.

Add in check stove oven and water pump signale and marker lights. Most everything else has been covered.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations!!! Things ARE going to go wrong. If the tires are 6-10 years old, consider replacing the front two tires at the minimum. Replace the shocks if they are original (we got Bilsteins). Go to a RV parts store and get some rubber washers for all your plumbing fixtures (water leaks have been one of our biggest issues). Check your engine hoses, belts, filters, etc. Make sure the the coach water pump is good and doesn't leak. We bought a '96 Airstream pusher 7 months ago and love it... and have had to make repairs on all of the above (and a little more). We've really been enjoying our motorhome despite all the things that have gone wrong. So bring a good tool set, a good wearable headlight (I got a Petzl), latex gloves and plenty of beer and wine.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Check out this Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) checlist

RV Inspection Checklist
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #12

Thank you!!!!