Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
I have had my Segway for almost 10 years and love it. The distance depends a lot on weight, speed temperature, and terrain but I can ride mine a hilly 5 miles into town and back (10 miles total) on 80% battery. You can't be in a hurry.

1. Groceries - I have the saddle bags and can carry 1 or 2 bags in each.

2. Road vs. sidewalk - they are legal on both roads and sidewalks in most states. They are treated the same ss an electric scooter (personal mobility device). They are plenty safe around people as long as you are careful and polite, I've never run over anyone but I do carry insurance. I take the same precautions as I would on a bicycle.

I have run into a few limitations. In Washington, they are not allowed on school grounds although I've done it many times when school was not in session. They are not allowed in Seattle parks, although the police ride them at the Seattle Center.They wouldn't let me ride it at our local fair so I became an entry in the fair parade and rode through the grandstands (and got a ribbon). Oregon State Parks would not let me ride there, so I haven't been back.

3. Transporting - this can be the toughest part. When we tow the CRV, it fits in the back, barely. I can also use the rack on the back of the CRV but we usually have bikes back there.

When we had the tow dolly, I carried it on a rack with a double reciever. I had to have the reciever modified to give enough clearance for the dolly's surge brakes.

When I don't have the car behind the MH, I use the stacked receiver with the rack to give maximum clearance on driveways.

4. Weight - the Segway weighs a little over 100# so that needs to be considered.

5. Loading - I have ramps and can walk it up and down the ramps using it's own power. I'm NOT riding it at this point.

6. Two Segways - I only have one. The rack I have will only carry one but it is a standard cargo rack, I met a couple several years ago that had two and had a lift that would carry both on the back of their MH.

Note: We also have a small TT. When we take that, the Segway goes in the back of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475208168900.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	140273  

coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #16
Lovin it.. thanks for the input

imob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
In our 16 years of full-timing and traveling the country we've never seen a RVer bring a Segway. There must be a reason.

If your type of camping is in a big metro area then perhaps there would be places to ride. Not so in any of the state parks or national parks. Staying in a RV park where golf carts are allowed might work. We like to be around nature, not with carts running around so maybe that's why we haven't seen any.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
I have had my Segway for almost 10 years and love it.

One of those hitch trays is usually good for #300
imob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #19
Originally Posted by imob View Post

One of those hitch trays is usually good for #300
I think my rack would easily hold the weight, but I'm not sure if there is room for two. They do come in different sizes, so there are probably some out there that would work.

I probably would not put two on the back of the CRV because of it's limited hitch capacity.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
Met a vet in a famcamp with one as he was disabled. He didn't have it long. Said it was too much of hassle where he could, could not operate and loading on carrier rack attached to rear of TOAD. He give me some instruction, thought it was fun, but not 5 grand worth.
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
The Short Bus - 450 HP
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
I've owned a Segway for the past 8 years and have over 9,000 miles on it. I use it every fair weather day to ride to work and back home (about 6 miles each way).

I do have a handicap placard (hip that gets a little worse each year), and can ride anywhere a powered wheel chair is allowed. Have never abused that priviledge but when a public place attempts to kick me out, I show my copy of the ADA law (American Disabilities Act) and all but two of them backed down. The two that didn't were contacted by lawyers from the department of justice with a threatened lawsuit; now they welcome me with open arms.

I decided to take the Segway to Jetty Park in cape Canaveral fl last December instead of equipping my jeep to tow. I have ramps that easily allow me to walk the Segway under power up into the motorhome, then I lay it down over the doghouse and strap it down.

After setting up at the RV park, I realized I needed groceries. A quick google search informed me the nearest super market was 5 miles away in cocoa beach. My range is 24 miles on sidewalks, so off I go. about 30 minutes later, I roll into the publix supermarket, hang a hand basket over the handle bars, and filled up the baskets three times. After checking out ($98 which fit in 3 plastic bags that hung on the handlebars), I was ready to head back. (Groceries are very expensive in that area).

The 3 bags were fairly heavy but the Segway didn't seem to mind. It has 5 electronic gyro's that do a better job balancing me and the bags than I would be able to do on my own.

To keep this short (right!), I had a wonderful month and never needed any different transportation all the time while there... with one exception. I wanted to go over the causeways to the Canaveral spaceport and since it was about 20 miles away, went ahead and rented a car for the day from Thrifty. $18.

Can't wait for December... may stay 2 months this time.
1998 National Dolphin 36' 5360 GM with tag axle.
Using my segway for a toad.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #22
We also have enjoyed Segways. We have taken many a tour while we are traveling and have enjoyed every one of them. Enjoy!
Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
We own two X2 segways. Just got back from a month trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, grand Teton, Devils tower, the Black Hills and a bunch of other places along the way. This time we left the toad home so it would be easier to maneuver the 43' MH around in state and national parks. Had a blast, no problems what so ever. Used them to site see around the parks, go 5 miles to town to get coffee, took the in to the back country in Wy. to fly fish. In a few of the stops we rented a car
(Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP) Yellowstone, and the Tetons.
I bought a large carrier for the Segways that I use on the MH's hitch receiver.
The only problem is they create quite a interest from lots of people, oh, and the cost, $6000 each and about $700 for the cargo carrier.
Cpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This member (Rest in peace, Mack) carried his Segway on a stand...see:
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
I travel with a toad (chev trailblazer) and one Segway X2 (big tires) in the toad, or in the belly storage bay of our motorhome. Mine cost $7,200 (4 )years ago(with options), and has 600miles to date.

There is a restriction on the "width of hardware" and "brake horsepower" considered to be a "personal mobility device" and varies by state and local government. My X2 meets the max HP but is wider than the max width. The "small tire" Segways meet both in many states.

I am not disabled and have never been thrown from a Segway but you have to be very aware of you environment at all times on or off roading.
We are very respective of others and law enforcement asking in advance when possible. Most people in most states when asked for permission don't have a clue what you are even asking for let alone their rules. Most police and government officials tend to error on the safe side saying no when asked instead of spending the time finding out. Yes we respectfully bend the rules on occasions but have never been asked to leave, ever.

As stated earlier Segways are user and location specific to meet certain needs. Yes you could rig/mount one on the back of a RV but they are not waterproof. Powered on they will "walk" themselves up ramps (with the steering stalk on/off) as you walk behind them tipping them forward.
They weigh close to 125lbs and are hard to lift very high as the tires free wheel so you basically lift by the guards above the tires.

Anyone who is considering purchasing a new $$ Segway should not be concerned about the fuel cost of hauling/using a toad in my opinion. Toads are necessities at times if you want to see all the sites in an area.

Advantages of a Segway X2; great way to tour large cities, great feeling of freedom to go where your want easily, ability to go on the beach and sand dunes in some areas (South Padre Island). Allowed on some/most bike trails.
Disadvantages; limited on distance of travel, not recommended on slippery or wet environments, slow 6-8hr full recharge times, unsafe if not respected for its ability.

We really enjoy it along with biking and will trade off between DW & DH.
Just one owners opinion. Good luck in your decisions.

1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MADP 4080, Cummins ISC 8.3L, Allison, Spartan MM IFS, Howard Power Center, Chev Trailblazer LTZ Towed w/ BlueOx rigging, Segway X2.
Qwert66 is online now   Reply With Quote