Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Sometimes you turn on that turn indicator wait until that lane is clear and start moving over and some @#$% does not want to be behind you so he decides he wants that lane also well I signaled and I am going into that lane and I am bigger. I have given up trying to be nice about that.
+1. I'm not asking for permission - I'm signaling my intentions.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We carry 2. My 1911=big hole, my short 870 with folding stock and 00=lots of big holes.

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by boji_bob View Post
Do you find it necessary to have a firearm in your MH for self defense? Hope to never need it but!!!!!!!!! I'm sure each state has its own rules. Would appreciate your comments on this.
After spending >4 years on this and other RV forums I have come to the conclusion that RVers are among to most heavily armed demographics in the country. I agree with Mike that, for a bad guy to try to approach people in an RV with bad intent he would have to be crazy. Crooks might hold a stereotype of RVers being "retired, old and weak" but a very high percentage are combat trained vets who are packing at least one weapon and apparently not concerned in the least about using it.

Good luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been camping since I was 10 y/o and that's a long time to be doing something where you've never felt threatened by another person.I have backpacked in Alaska,B.C.,Oregon,Wa and Ca on the Crest trail and have camped in all sorts of campgrounds. The only time I have felt that way was several times in the woods when I have come upon one of those big black furry,not fuzzy, animals called a bear.Then I backed away and left the area as it is his home that I was trespassing on.(several really funny stories there too).
I do have one of those BIG maglites near my front door as well as a short weighted club where I can get to it in a hurry. I figure that if the other person is outside and I don't open the door,I am pretty safe and if he gets in our AWESOME huge adorable cocker spaniel will protect us..
There was a thread on RV.net where a person's MH was broken into at his storage lot and his 38 Cal pistol was stolen..C'mon folks,you keep a weapon in your rig and then leave it there when it's not being used and where someone can break in and find it..That's stupid....They did catch the perp,but if they hadn't,that's another weapon out there to be used in some unlawful way.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Bigdog I understand about keeping weapons locked up especially if my grandkids are around. Having said that if it is just my DW and I then they are not going to be locked up. It doesn't do much good to lock up a self defense weapon and I don't plan on getting my MH broken in to. Yes, I know it can happen but I am betting it will not be mine MH that will get broken into.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a carry permit
no further comment
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
I have read posts in several firearm threads in this and other sites. Other posters have rightly noted some states have laws that specifically hold deadly force is the last option for defense. Others have also noted there is a reasonably high chance the person using deadly force will be a defendant in a civil lawsuit. The plaintiff will be the offender if he wasn't killed, his estate if he was. Use of deadly force incidents are carefully investigated by law enforcement.

Use of social web sites, which this one is (sort of) is becoming more and more common and is being looked at more and more by others wanting to know more about [the poster]. This includes, among others, employers, law enforcement and, yes, civil attorney's and their investigators.

Now consider for a moment some of the posts in the firearms threads. They convey the idea, sometimes in actual direct language, "I travel with a gun, I am willing and ready to use it. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

Think for a moment just how that would sound when being presented to a grand jury if there was a question as to the use of deadly force. Think also for a moment how that would sound to the jury in a civil suit.

If you must post, consider what TNCRUISER just posted. "I have a carry permit, no further comment."

Just a thought.
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Canadian. Nice to know that friends that you meet will help when necessary. End of comment.
Just living is not enough, One must have sunshine, freedom and a RV.
bigstonebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I carry my Glock 9mm most always, and I have a concealed weapon permit. It's just good to have in case....
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
The only time or place I would ever consider carrying a firearm are those places or times that I wish to protect me and my family from serious harm. Otherwise I dont see a need for it. Violence/Danger is pretty unpredictable and so are criminals. Soooooo
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
Richvkansas. I am 70 years old. I have carried a pistol since I was twenty years old. I have never pointed my weapon at another person in fear or anger. Almost all honest people who carry weapons have no desire to harm anyone. Almost all crooks who carry, want to hurt someone. If i ever pull my weapon, it will be when me or my family are in a leathel situation.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #26
Always have self defense. You just never know when you'll need it.
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #27
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are your wife are terrified of guns. You can always carry a can of oven cleaner. About thirty years ago. the liberal news media was going crazy because the rape crimes were skyrocketing and women started carrying easy off oven cleaner. A spray of this in the eyes will stop any bad guy. Of course like a gun, do not pull it out unless you are in great danger. Never pull a gun or spray if you are not going to use it. If you pause, the bad guy will take it away from you.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yes, we carry one with us. Check here for state laws: www.gunlawguide.com

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote