Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

self-defense

Do you find it necessary to have a firearm in your MH for self defense? Hope to never need it but!!!!!!!!! I'm sure each state has its own rules. Would appreciate your comments on this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
HERE's a previous thread discussing just that.

If you do a search on guns, carrying firearms or similar, you'll find many more threads.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not leave home without it. Almost all state and national parks ban weapons. I just never tell anyone i have a weapon. I believe in the old saying, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Of course never try to cross the border with a weapon. This is a very serious offence and is not taken lightly. Do not believe the liberal news media. They are rabid about firearm ownership. Every real study has shown weapons have stopped many crimes or attempted crimes.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would not leave home without it. Almost all state and national parks ban weapons. I just never tell anyone i have a weapon. I believe in the old saying, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Of course never try to cross the border with a weapon. This is a very serious offence and is not taken lightly. Do not believe the liberal news media. They are rabid about firearm ownership. Every real study has shown weapons have stopped many crimes or attempted crimes.
One small correction. As of Jan. 10, 2010 it is no longer illegal to have a firearm in U.S. National Parks.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

12 ga. pump with 18-1/2" barrel. Empty chamber, first shell is a blank. If the sound of "racking" the first shell doesn't deter them, the first shot ought to. You have the option of double racking if you want to go "live" on the first shot.

If someone were to grab it from you, only you know that the first shell is a blank.

Also consider installing 2 or more cheap 12 volt Driving or Fog lights aimed down the hallway from your bedroom. Connect them to an easy to reach panic switch near where you store the shotgun. Hit the switch, bad guy gets blinded, you have a really clear target.

A less lethal option is Raid wasp spray. Shoots 20 feet, blinds the bad guy, is not considered to be a weapon. I'd want a good baseball bat or equal as a follow up.

Like all insurance, you hope not to need it - but it can be costly to be without.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You guys are serious about the wasp spray !!!
i have read in other threads in here but i wasen't sure you all were for real about it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check each state as the rules vary all over the map. Or you can just subscribe to the Don't ask Don't Tell theory.

Ken
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Wasp spray is good as you can aim it and it will shoot 20 feet or so.

As far as a firearm, I say don't ask and don't tell.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I carry and my wife and I both have a license to carry and I always have a gun in my car. I have never ever had anyone ever bother me and we stay nights in roadside rest areas and WalMarts and never worry. One would have to be pretty stupid these days to try and break in a MH with everyone having cellphones and maybe guns. I can turn on all the side and rear docking lights and side and rear cameras from beside my bed and see what is going on all around my MH. I am pretty sure that if anyone needed help all you would have to do is hold down on the air horns until you wake the dead. I did have to go to another MH at a roadside rest area to tell a guy he was leaking oil he came to the door with a gun and it was still daylight. I think some people watch too many movies or listen to to many stories.

Regardless of who it is I will never open the door after dark even if it is a cop unless he shows some pretty good ID through the window even if he is in uniform. My son, my niece and my nephew are all in law enforcement and they have never heard of a problem with a MH. My only fear is somebody with road rage. Sometimes you turn on that turn indicator wait until that lane is clear and start moving over and some @#$% does not want to be behind you so he decides he wants that lane also well I signaled and I am going into that lane and I am bigger. I have given up trying to be nice about that.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a great link with some useful information

Handgunlaw.us

I would advise careful study. There are some very interesting laws. WVA, for example, allows an unlicensed gun to be in a vehicle - but it must be in plain sight. Texas allows them, too, but they must be concealed at all times. SC requires them to be in the glove box. In IL, NY and NJ you risk jail time if you are caught with a firearm under most conditions. NJ is particularly bad - hollow point ammo for anyone but law enforcement is illegal and you go to jail for simply having it. You are supposed to be able to transport guns under Federal law (unloaded, gun and ammo locked up separately and out of the driver's reach) but NJ, especially Port Authority police (they run the bridges,etc.) have a policy of not recognizing that Federal law.

The use of firearms is even more complicated. In Texas, you may stand your ground (if you were legally there and not performing an illegal act) but NJ requires that you prove that you retreated. There are all kinds of variations in between. Get it wrong and it is you who go to jail, not the criminal who you were trying to defend yourself against.

One site I visit has everyone posting IANAL (I am not a lawyer), No one should expect that any information in this post is legal advice.

DADT (don't ask, don't tell) is a great policy until the discussion is with law enforcement.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #11

Wouldn't leave home without one or two. I would rather deal with the fall out than be carried by 6. Most states consider your motorhome an extension of your home as such you have the right to protect yourself especally in the confines of your home. The don't tell rule works for me I don't think I have ever heard of someone's M/H being searched for no good reason. Now with that said Canada and Mexico are another story, but I'm not going to take the old M/H out of the US to start with. Also if you travel to other contries threr ar restrictions on the amount of cash you can carry in and out.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I also never leave home without them, Your best bet would be to get a right to carry permit, I just got mine and it covers most of the state I travel in.
States that Honor South Dakota's CCW Permit:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho,Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi,Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma,Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry bear spray. Legal in every state. If it's labeled for bears it is legal in canada. Pepper spray labeled for personal protection is considered a dangerous weapon in canada.
Wasp spray is a federal offense to use in any matter inconsistent with it's intended use.
There is too much litigation for me to carry a gun around. I have a carry permit but the many laws concerning handguns have too much gray for me to feel comfortable. Too many states require it to be in a locked box and unloaded. A law suit can mess up a life for many years.
I have not been bothered so far.

I carry my fighting stick err cane .. legal everywhere . Mag lights are good also.

-- Different laws in different States... UNITED??? HAH that's a joke....
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
A law suit can mess up a life for many years.
So can a rape, robbery and death of a family member. Be protected whatever defense method you choose.

nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote