Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Unfortunately, one week after we bought our 2007 36' FDTS Limited we had significant changes in our life and will no longer be able to take the extended trips we had planned.
Any suggestions for getting an accurate/realistic price for what a 2007 36" FDTS with many options and 5,000 miles should sell for? Any recommended venues for selling it?

Thanks,

Clark
ClarkBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can list it on the Classified section on iRV2. You will need to register for that site as a separate registration but can use the same user name and such.

You can also go to www.craigslist.com, or RV Trader for a few places.

To get an idea of it's market value, check www.nadagudes.com and do not plan to get much more than low retail in this market.

Sorry to hear about your unexpected change of plans.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
With Alpine having gone out of business earlier this year (not to mention that the whole RV industry is pretty much dead) it's very hard to determine a good selling price and it might be very hard to find a buyer for yours. NADA says $210k (without add-ons) but I don't know if it's very realistic.

For what it's worth, I think that at the Alpine assets auction, there were 3 brand new 2009 mhs (2 34s and 1 36) and they sold for between $125k-$145k if I remember correctly.

From that I think that if you can get $150-$175, you're probably doing very good but I hope you can do a lot better. Also depends how much in a hurry you are.

Good luck.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the listing and price ideas....

Fortunately I have time and your estimates seem realistic to me.

Clark
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #5

Clark, here's another place that lists coaches for sale:

http://www.rvonline.com/

So sorry to hear you'll no longer be able to travel, I wish you the best.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Clark, sorry to hear that you won't be needing the coach. I hope that everything works out for you.
There are many classified sites you can list the coach on. Just do a Goggle search for RVs for Sale and you should find a couple dozen avenues you can pursue. There is even Craigslist and ebay that folks use to sell there rigs. Unfortunately there are a lot of them on the market right now. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Clark,

Another option you may consider is renting your RV. There are a number of companies out there that will rent your RV for you and handle all the logistics. Others are just referral services. Friends of ours rented a Class A for Memorial Day from a guy who bought his RV and then was shipped out to Iraq for an extended tour. In a market flooded with RV's for sale, this may be a viable option for you until the market comes back.

A financial point to consider is the loss you may take unloading your coach in this market. Suppose you find a buyer and sell it for $24,000 less than you owe (a very likely situation in this market). Depending on your monthly payments, the $24,000 loss could equate to 1 to 2 YEARS of payments. You will have to dig into your pocket and pay the bank that $24,000 when you sell. Also, I don't know your situation, but in 2 years things may change again for the better and you might be able to travel again.

Our prayers are with you!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #8

Thanks Tom and Katharine for well thought out advice.
On the numbers side it is always a race against depreciation and there will be a huge overhang of unsold RVs when and if the current situation changes. I suspect your two year time frame may be too conservative. If that is the case, then a distress sale now can look good in retrospect (selling Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, WaMu, Bear Stearns, IndyMac Bank 6 months ago).
But your mention of companies that would handle the rental paperwork and logistics sounded very good. Then, if and when it sells I would have a taxable loss to offset other gains and some regular income. In the meantime, I'd have some additional depreciation and expenses to help with taxes. Do you know any companies that you could recommend?

Thanks very much,

Clark
Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Clark,

I don't have experience with any of the rental companies out there so I can't give a reccomendation.

Maybe some of the other iRV2 members can add their advice.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #10

The 2007 Alpine Limited

Clark: Don't know if you are still out there reading the post on this site, but just thought I would ask what might have happened to your 2007 Limited Alpine. How did you do with it, or are you still using it.

This is an old post I am answering, so don't know if Clark is still around the site. Thanks. DrH
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
IMO, the best way to determine the value of a coach is to check out the prices for similar models that are for sale. NADA, etc, will give you a value, but it is not as realistic as those actually trying to sell one. Of course ACTUALLY selling price would normally be a bit lower than asking price.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote