Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
Lots of good thoughts here. If all works out the way we want it to, we'll be 63 when we purchase our first DP. That will be my first experience with anything diesel, so there will be a learning curve there. I've driven an old school bus (manual transmission), and a MH has to be easier!

That said, I will want the seller to drive the coach to a parking lot so I can practice a bit under his watchful eye. I'll tell him that if he feels uncomfortable with my driving at any point he is to immediately speak up. I'll park the coach and let him take it back. He won't make a sale, but we will have some serious discussions about the wisdom of buying a DP. It may be that I'll try to get more instruction and try again, or we may decide on something else.

Looking ahead, at some point we will need to sell our coach. I'd hate to sell it to someone who promptly goes out and kills himself or someone else because he wasn't at all qualified to drive the coach.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I just don't follow the logic. If I were to sell my MH I wouldn't make it my responsibility to ensure the new owner is a safe and competent driver. If you were to come and look at it and ask to drive it I would by all means ask what you have driven in the past that is similar in size to this. If the best he/she has done is drive a VW then my course of action would be to advise them that this is much larger but if you feel competent then I will drive it to a parking lot and you can test it there but to consider not selling it for fear someone will get in an accident just isn't within my boundaries. Can you prevent any possible accident, not just a driving accident, that may happen? What if they are changing the oil and it falls on them? What if they get electrocuted due to their own lack of knowledge with the MH's electrical power?

There are just to many scenarios to possibly be concerned over. I'm a newbie of sorts as I've only bought 2 MH's but neither previous owner asked about my driving abilities. If I feel confident enough to drive it when I buy it how does that create guilt for the seller? Again I understand concern, but there is nothing that legally obligates us to ensure the abilities of the buyer. As I noted previously I would ask about their ability to drive it before I let them drive it but that's only because it is still mine and I'm responsible to a degree at that point.

If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
they are going to buy one somewhere If you feel that strongly about it offer to take them out after the sale and give some safety tips If they buy it from a dealer he is going to throw them the keys and tell them have fun
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
Better yours, you knowing the condition, as to pawn them off to someone else that might not care. As far as being non mechanical , that is why we have professional repair people that we pay to do our work for us....Still kicking at 72.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
They came out today and after talking to the husband a little more, I felt better about the deal.
Although they purchased an extended warranty and the company insisted on it being inspected before they approved the policy. So as a courtesy I drove it to the "shop" inspecting it.
The shop I was familiar with, however I never had a good opinion of them but that's not my call. They did an inspection and were under the idea that we were going to have the "faults" fixed. These cons attempted to say the valve cover gaskets were leaking among other things.
Now I've been all over this rig and the drivetrain like a rat, and there isn't anything on that engine that would make you think the covers were leaking. What the &%*$ is wrong with these shops??
The new owners asked them to show them the leak and they didn't have an answer.
Thank God this is all over...
2004 Fleetwood Discovery 3126 CAT engine
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #34
Country Coach Owners Club
Hey I think that it's great that you're looking out for them. However they are both adults. Explain your concerns to them listen to what they have to say. Then if they still want to buy it sell it to them.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Country Coach Owners Club
ps you'd really suck as an rv salesman but that's not a bad thing.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #36
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the sale and glad all worked out. I get a kick out the comment you made about the rv shop finding a leak but couldn't explain or show where it was. Typical with some facilities just to try and get in your pocket book. Again congrats and enjoy the money. It will buy you some future fuel I'm sure.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote