Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Selling a Class A 37 foot

In December of last year I bought a DP. I still have my older gasser Fleetwood that I thought I could sell this spring or sooner.
Well, I found a buyer for the gasser, but one HUGE thing is troubling me.
They seem to be a couple in their 60s and have absolutely NO experience with RVs whatsoever. Now this isn't that big of a deal since I didn't have any experience either.
But I'm an auto mechanic and am pretty handy with other things as well. This couple scares the heck out of me, primarily because I don't know if they can drive it SAFELY. I get this impression from the last couple of conversations with them. The guy admittedly says he is mechanically declined and the wife says she's the handy one. Jeez the first 18 wheeler flying past you at 80 mph is enough to give anyone a heart attack not to mention a bad windy day with huge crosswinds.
Am I off base here? I'd hate for them to trash this thing or God forbid get themselves or anyone hurt.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in my 60's and have NO problem driving ours. You may suggest to them to take an rv driving class. Don't know if any are available in your area but they could check. I'm sure with a little practice he'll do fine. Take them for a ride yourself somewhere not to busy and let him drive it. He may find out right then and there that's it's not for him/them or then it just might be and then you will have just sold your motohome if it fits there bill. Good luck with what you choose and hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

Sorry I mentioned the 60s thing, I didn't mean to infer that they can't drive safely due to their age.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, you're off base. If they are willing and deliver the money, it's done.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'd say you were off base. If you don't sell them yours, they will go elsewhere and buy someone elses. My husband was 60, when we bought our first RV. He hasn't killed anyone yet.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
remove the emotion from the equation. Unless of course you are trying to make friends. The relationship would be easier after the sale.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
60's

I know you were not trying to offend anyone , just being thoughtfull , right ?
I am not offended , just thought I would give my $0.02's worth .
I was 65 and my DH was 63 when we got our first MH .
We share the driving and parking ! So far , we havn't put a scratch on
anything or anyone .
If you just take your time and practice , before you get out on the highway and be carefull , it's not that hard to drive a MH.

Several years ago I decided to go camping with my sister's and brother's in Fla.
I bought me an old Airstream , fixed it up , hooked it to my pickup , and drove from S.Carolina to Fla. , by myself . I have to admit it was kind of scary when I met the first Semi. after I got on the interstate , the secound one wasn't so bad and after that , nothing to it .
carahsue
Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

I'm not letting emotions control but trying to be as responsible. This is probably stemming from the d-bags at the Chattanooga Camping World that originally sold the rig to me with crappy brakes. I felt like they owed me more, they just didn't care.
I made the rig safe and then some. So like you all say, they should be fine.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #9

If they want to buy one they will buy one somewhere.
It is better for you to sell them a rig that you know is in good shape than for them to buy one from some shifty creep getting rid of his troubles.
Your responsibility ends at the end of your driveway.
If you could choose the next owners would that keep them safe and happy?
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think that you are over reacting whatsoever. I presume that you noticed a subtle or not so subtle reaction to something that you said concerning the operation and maintenance of the MH. Call it intuition or simply a "gut feeling" that, " Hey, driving this motor home is a big responsibility, and I'm not sure that either of these people would feel comfortable (at least initially) in driving this rig." I applaud you for your sensitivity and caring and don't believe that you meant anything negative regarding the age of MH operators. I felt the same way one time when I sold a motorcycle to an older couple. They ended up taking the motorcycle safety course and all turned out well for them, but I would have been remiss if I hadn't suggested the course as a good way to "refresh" old skills for operation of a modern bike.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #11

I'm in my 60's and I worry about scaring truck drivers when I pass them at 80.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were picking up our present DSDP there was a man and wife there taking delivery of their first RV. A 41' Mountain Aire DP, they also had their large Cadillac set up to tow. No lessons and away they went. Always wondered how they did.
OTH I've gone from a 16' TT to a 23' to a 29' to a 17' Type B then a 29' then a 35', then a 39' and now a 41' with a 40'church bus and work trucks in between so I've gotten lots of experience along the way.
At no time has anyone worried about whether I could drive what I bought!

I wouldn't worry about selling to someone that has no experience, after all that's not your worry, but I give you credit for thinking about it anyway. If you don't sell yours to them they'll buy something else anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #13

At the end of the day, you are wanting to sell, they are wanting to buy, I don't see the problem here. They are full grown folks, if you in fact want to sell your coach better take thier money, if not some else will.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #14

I’m in my 60’s and bought my first class A last spring. Thank goodness I bought from a conscious seller who wanted me to test drive on an interstate and took it to the RV inspection center of my choice. I appreciate him caring and I am sure your buyers will feel more comfortable with purchasing your RV than one from someone who just wants their money. Everyone starts somewhere.

No offense taken with the 60’s remark as I know I can out drive most men. LOL….. If the buyers have never driven something this size a little warning will not hurt. With anything if you are not handy you have to pay someone to what you can’t do.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote