RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Selling an older motorhome?

I'm looking at selling my 1992 30' Southwind in the near future and wanted some input and opinions before I list it. First off, where have you guys had the most luck listing your rv for sale? I see where places like camping world and other places will buy your RV outright or do a consignment deal, would something like that be easier. I'm the type that when I want to sell something I don't want to have to sit on it for months. The coach is in great shape and has been completely remodeled inside so I feel like it would sell but you never know on things like this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

Jason1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

Its all in the eyes of the beholder--I am still in love with my 2003 Alpine but its not worth 10 cents on the original dollar spent. There are so may gently used, new coaches on the market at very reasonable prices--you will have to find just the right person, doubt if big companies like CW or PPL can make that happen for you....good luck...

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Price it right and it will sell, you must discount the renovated dollars and sweat equity in your market pricing. People trying to recoup 70-90% of those dollars have priced the rig to high for the market and are letting emotion instead of economics drive the price.

-Kevin
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craigslist - listed as 'local sale only' worked for me.

Be willing to negotiate but keep it simple as in 'I can't go that low but I'm willing to split the difference' or i can't have that replaced but I'll allow some $$ for you to have it replaced.

Timing can't be planned - when the right person gets interested you will know then don't let small details or a few $$ derail the deal.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

I have sold my truck camper and 5th wheel this year on rvtrader.com. There is also rvt.com (which is different but works also). Both have list it till it sells add options (as well as time limited options).

Good Luck.
2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker -
sedaliaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craigslist and RV Trader are what u have used with good success to sell two motorhome.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

I have had success with consignment dealers. For me it takes out the hassle of scam emails, tire kickers, no shows, etc that I found when I sold cars through craigslist or local ad papers. I have only sold my RV's via consignment dealers and never tried to sell an RV directly. Another plus is they handle all the paperwork - financing on the buyers side, title transfer, etc.

The trick with consignment is finding a good one. I have used one twice and a second one once (I moved too far from the first to make it convenient). I will visit the dealer first to look at units and see how they act with customers, how do the keep and present the units on the lot. Do they use the consignment units as a lead generator for their units (new or used) or do they give consistent coverage. I will return another day to inquire about their consignment programs. How much does it cost, how do we set prices, etc, Both places I used did not have "lot rent" so I did not have to pay until the unit sold, then it was either a % or a flat fee. I have always received more than what I set my bottom amount to be even after the fee.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
craigs list is good for local / regional / statewide.

We sold our Mirada in less than four weeks to a couple who lived about 100 miles east of us. We had several scammers, a few lookers, and three or four who were very serious. We actually had it sold, but the older couple backed out a day later. I returned their non-refundable deposit as I had another buyer lined up ready to take delivery.

Post a good description and a lot of photos (I think they limit you on the photos, like 10 ??)

Stage the MH. i.e. I removed all my stuff, We cleaned inside and out, then hit the dollar store and bought $30 worth of cute little nick-naks to put on tables. and counters

My ad looked like a $200,000 MH for sale.

ALSO - What really sold my Mirada was the fact that I have a dedicated web site where anyone can go and look at all t he maintenance articles, etc. You can't get better documentation than this.

I'm doing the same with my 1999 Southwind. When the day comes to sell it, this will be a huge selling point..

Buyers who make offer site unseen.

Tell them to meet you at the bank with the check. When the funds are transferred, you'll give them the title and tell them where the MH is located. That usually shuts them up..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I like the way you got around the forum rules about not selling in the forums

But you can always supplement this listing with one in the classifieds --> http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/index.php?cat=3
Old 06-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craigslist sold mine but be careful of scammers. I also had it listed on IRV2 and had hired a person who advertised multiple listings in all sorts of RV publications. Actually sold it twice on CL but one backed out. Price it right tho and be willing to negotiate. Good luck.
Rich
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

There is a good post on tips for listing.
Clean it well
Stage it like a house
Take good pics
Post suggestions
iRV2 Clasdifieds
RVT.COM
RV Trader.con
Craigslist

I have a 2003 on all the above and getting calls & emails
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
There is a good post on tips for listing.
Clean it well
Stage it like a house
Take good pics
Post suggestions
iRV2 Clasdifieds
RVT.COM
RV Trader.con
Craigslist

I have a 2003 on all the above and getting calls & emails
I had my 2002 Itasca on all those, except RVtrader, plus a few more including ebay. Had lots of calls with low ball offers mainly from dealers. Still got more for it than the dealer would give tho. Yes, if they come to look then stage it. My daughter did and it sold but they need to come look first. That was my problem because they were no serious enough.
Rich
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would agree with everything others have posted, but want to add a twist. (I am in the advertising business)

It is hard to sell a coach that old, so why not try a couple of ideas. Most MH dealers don't want ones that old, and will give you less than you could get by just parting it out.

There is, however, a big interest these days in those stupid "Tiny Houses". You might want to do a regular Craigslist post under motorhomes and a second listing under tiny houses. Tiny House buyers have probably never considered that an older MH like your is better and much cheaper to buy.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #14

Here is the How To Sell A Motorhome post I mentioned.

Interesting thought re: tiny houses approach - I'd love to hear about actual experience from anone who has tried this route.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome