Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Selling MH - Consignment?

Because we are not using our MH anymore, we are thinking about selling.
I am trying to determine if the hassle of selling is worth it or should I go to a dealer and sell as a consignment. Has anyone used PPL for selling their MH as a consignment?

I checked the PPL website and they are wanting 10% which would mean on a $40,000 sale, their take would be $4000 plus $450 if I had them detail the MH prior to selling. I am located in Rockport, TX and there are a number of used MH for sale in our area. I also would like to know what the average length of time it would take to sell at PPL. Some of the things that I worry about selling myself is length of time of sale, hassle of scams and what type of funds should I accept such as cash (no problem), certified check versus personal check, wire transfer, etc. How is the best way to insure that the funds are good?
Thanks ............
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

I have sold a 5er and purchased a MH from them and I believe them to be a good company. They have foot traffic (buyers) that you will never have selling yourself. At least if you had the foot traffic you would go nuts trying to help everyone. They offer financing that you can't. They can do any repairs that buyer may find on PDI. When I get ready to sell again PPL is where I will go.

I do not recommend the $450 cleaning, if you keep you RV clean and capable of doing a through cleaning after unloading all your stuff. This is what you would do even if selling yourself.

For me the 10% is worth all they do. Now if the 10% was on a like new very high dollar RV it could get steep. And they do have some high dollar coaches as well as some RV's very low priced.

Good Luck.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I sold my previous MH by parking it in a highly traveled area with a list of all it's particulars, asking price and my cell number posted on the windshield.... I had abt 20 interested parties ck it out and ended up selling it for exactly my asking price... Took about 8 days in total....

Buyer wanted to write me a check so we went to my bank and had the funds transferred from his account directly into mine ... Once that was completed to my banks satisfaction, I signed over the title and handed over the keys....

I then went on the search for my next rig - the Berkshire that we now have.
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #4

Selling MH - Consignment?

We ended up using a consignment shop to sell our rig after trying on our own for for a few months and it sold within 2 weeks of them getting it on the lot. Although we did have to pay a percentage of the sale to them we ended getting close to our original asking price even after the commission as they we're able to charge more as a dealer. The benefit of using the consignment shop is they were able to facilitate financing which makes it easier on a buyer and they processed all the paperwork which made it easier on us. If we ever sell this one I'll use them again as I'd get more doing it this way than trading it in and I don't have to deal with showing the rig or possibly getting ripped off.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
Because we are not using our MH anymore, we are thinking about selling.
I am trying to determine if the hassle of selling is worth it or should I go to a dealer and sell as a consignment. Has anyone used PPL for selling their MH as a consignment?

I checked the PPL website and they are wanting 10% which would mean on a $40,000 sale, their take would be $4000 plus $450 if I had them detail the MH prior to selling. I am located in Rockport, TX and there are a number of used MH for sale in our area. I also would like to know what the average length of time it would take to sell at PPL. Some of the things that I worry about selling myself is length of time of sale, hassle of scams and what type of funds should I accept such as cash (no problem), certified check versus personal check, wire transfer, etc. How is the best way to insure that the funds are good?
Thanks ............
Unless you've tried to sell a used coach yourself, I doubt you can appreciate how "little" the 10% commission really is. Dealing with all the tire kickers that don't have the money, and can't get financing on a 10 model year old coach, can be quite frustrating and time consuming. Phone calls at all hours can be quite annoying. Internet advertising your coach will likely only generate LOTS of calls from other internet listing services claiming THEY can get your coach sold faster if you just pay them, too.
If you want to sell it yourself, I suggest using the FREE classifieds here on iRV2.com

I sold my 2003 Kountry Star thru PPL-Houston back in 2010, and that was the best $3,600.00 I ever spent. FWIW, I think your apparent expectation of getting ~40K for your signature coach is a little optimistic, but that will probably be a good starting point because you can always come down if it doesn't produce an offer. PPL will suggest an asking price, but YOU will tell them your minimum, and you are not obligated to accept any less than your minimum. If they get a buyer at any price higher than your minimum, it is automatically sold and you are then notified the deal is done. If they get an offer less than your minimum, they are obligated to call and ask you if you want to accept it. They "try" to get you the most possible because the higher price makes their commission higher, but they don't make anything unless they can get you and a buyer to agree, so you may get some pressure from PPL to lower your minimum if a sale isn't made within a month or two.

I would not pay them for an upfront detailing service, but you may need to include that as part of making a sale, if the coach is showing some wear and tear or is especially dirty.
Good luck!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

On the other side of the coin, we bought our present coach that was a consignment. It made it really easy as we traded in our "gasser" on the DP. The dealership made it easy for us. Something to think about. Plus they did a complete service and PDI on the DP so we had piece of mind on the new to us coach that we had to drive 1100 miles home. Yes we traded up while on a trip!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #7

TXRedfish,
I haven't used them myself, but as someone who is looking, I keep coming back to their site. if you search the threads on irv2 for them, the overwhelming majority of folks seem to feel that they are without exception a good site to do business with. MHSRV keeps coming up as well for an alternative, not sure how far away you are from them. good luck and I hope you get top dollar for your rig.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Be aware that if you turn it over to a consignment lot/company, your insurance might not be valid so if it gets stolen or wrecked you could be out of luck.. Best to check with your insurance company to find out.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote