Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #29

I used to scuba dive a lot and had a problem with sea sickness. Tried all kinds of things which helped but did not cure. Got a Rx from my Dr. for Transderm Scopace pills. They worked great.

Also, you state that you have a tow vehicle. Maybe before you loose money on a trade try having you wife follow you driving the tow vehicle instead of towing it. The kids can be with her or with you. She won't get sick and you still have the comfort of a class A instead of a TT when you get to the camp. You can communicate with cell phones or walkie-talkie is needed.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #30

the big issue imho is that your DW is pregnant and is prone to motion sickness... sitting in the front or back of the RV is the worst place for bumps and turns... sitting in the middle of the RV is the best place for a more comfortable ride. Try having her sit with the baby instead... i know my kids prefer to sit in the dinette area converted as a bed. Maybe she would be more comfortable travelling with her feet off the ground... hopefully she doesnt have to tend the driver as much as the baby. Remember kids get older and soon your wife will give birth... what do you see yourself in say 1-2 years from now... which would you rather have, class A pulling the GC or GC pulling a short TT.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason many people migrate up from a TT to a motorhome is specifically so that they have constant access to a restroom, refrigerator, and a table while in transit, (because of pregnancy, an infant, or toddler).

If you are going to trade, do it ASAP! The longer you wait, the less it's worth, (and it loses value every day).

Back in 2004, I used to tow a PopUp. I'm familiar with people using a Jeep GC to tow, and "porpoising" is the typical issue with using a short wheelbase vehicle to tow with. You will very likely want to trade the Jeep GC for a larger wheelbase SUV, or a pickup truck if you are going to tow a TT.

Your wife might want to try a ReliefBand for motion sickness, (it's also used for morning sickness, and general nausea, etc). My wife used one when pregnant with both of our kids and she said it worked great!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #32

Time for a New family??
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #33

HAHA… thanks for the suggestions everyone, just to clarify the motion sickness IS NOT from being pregnant. its something she's always had, and is exacerbated by being up high in the class A driving down windy roads.

She's not really liking the class A motorhome as much as she thought she would, and I'm thinking happy wife is more a Hotel person for travel. Seems silly to have a Class A for a few weekend camping trips when I could get by with a TT for the occasional weekend trip.

Also having a payment on a MH that isn't going to see the use we originally expected is another issue. I could Sell MH and not have payment and own TT free and clear easily.

Its a combo of issues I guess. But wifey isn't digging the class A (odd I know) She much prefers riding in a regular car/suv…

So I found some 25' TT that are around 6000 gross 4000 empty… How sqirly would a 24-25' TT be behind the Jeep? (obviously with load distro and anti-sway) lots of people pulling 21' seem to have no problem, and I've seen a few 24'.

Interesting is the original owner of this jeep used it to pull a 25' airsream
compute42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
.....She much prefers riding in a regular car/suv…

So I found some 25' TT that are around 6000 gross 4000 empty… How sqirly would a 24-25' TT be behind the Jeep? (obviously with load distro and anti-sway) lots of people pulling 21' seem to have no problem, and I've seen a few 24'.

Interesting is the original owner of this jeep used it to pull a 25' airsream
The Jeep GC will be squirrely, (like a bucking bronco), pulling anything over 2500 pounds due the short wheel base. It's not that it can't or won't tow a much BIGer or heavier TT. It can and it will!

However, at highway speeds the Jeep GC will find the "frequency of the road", (concrete pours, asphalt waviness, etc), and bounce/rock up and down at the hitch. Those that have lived it call it "porpoising" because your tow vehicle will feel like you are riding a dolphin.

As for the Airstream, they typically have a very light tongue weight compared to typical TTs. That's why their dealers , (and sales brochures), always brag that they can be towed by anything. But once that "road frequency" kicks in, it doesn't matter if it's an Airstream.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Why I switched to a TT and then back to a Class A

This is my experience. I switched from a 37 ft class A gasser to a 5th wheel trailer and then switched to a TT 2 of the biggest mistakes that I ever made and lost over 20K in the process. I then switched back to a Older Class A Gasser. I am happy again. Please see the below links to my Blog explaining Why. Then rent a TT and try it out first Before buying.
Mel

Why I switched to a Travel Trailer: Click Here

Why I switched back to a class A Older Gasser.: Click Here
Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #36

You will be severely disappointed trying to tow a 26-29'TT with a Jeep, regardless of engine size. Use this online travel trailer weight calculator to determine what you can safely tow. You said your Jeep has a 7,000# towing capacity, it does-only if you plan to leave your family home, and carry nothing in the Jeep but a 150# driver, 1/4 tank of fuel, nothing else. The firse objective is to load up the Jeep with your family and whatever else you plan to carry in the Jeep, and have it weighed. Only then will you know your Jeeps towing capacity. I suspect after using that calculator you'll find your actual towing capacity is closer to 5,500#.
Then the TT salesperson is going to try to convince you that you'll never load it to its maximum GVW, so you will not actually be overloading your Jeep with that 7,000# TT. Trailer salesmen are trained to use the UVW when selling, and give you the previous line of crap.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You will be severely disappointed trying to tow a 26-29'TT with a Jeep, regardless of engine size. .... The first objective is to load up the Jeep with your family and whatever else you plan to carry in the Jeep, and have it weighed. Only then will you know your Jeeps towing capacity...
Ray's right & backs up what I said in post #17.

For the safety of your family & those on the road with you, before you even start shopping for a TT, get your loaded Jeep weighed.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you consider a MH with a better floorplan so she can be near the baby? Or maybe spending some money on a smaller diesel with easy access to the child? Sounds cheaper to me, either that or a smaller TT for the jeep. My guess is whatever is the safest for the family. Ad a seat for the child seat?
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #39

I got a great deal on a 33 foot class A gasser 4 years ago. The gentleman who had recently purchased it found out his wife didn't like the "openness" of a class A floorplan, and preferred the "privacy" that a class C offered between the driver's area and the rest of the coach. A financial hit for him, and I was in the right place at the right time. Expensive lesson learned by this guy, and will likely be for the OP in this thread. I guess the lesson here is make sure the DW likes it before you lay down the money. My DW is a golden lab. She likes anything on wheels, and is happy to see me 24/7.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #40

Go to a big dealer , explain the issue and take wife for test drive in DP and jeep with travel trailer , try a few combinations , don't jump at first option take your time .
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 AM   #41

Just remember...kids grow up fast. This period of tending to them will fly by. We went through it too. Now i wouldnt dream of traveling any other way with our 4 kids than in our motorhome with all the conveniences. Just sayin.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever makes the Mrs happy I guess. You will take a beating at the dealer when it comes to trading down to a trailer. My gasser doesn't drive like a FedEx truck. It actually rides pretty smooth. The engine does make more noise than a pusher, but a pickup hauling trailer won't be exactly a silent ride. The Jeep won't cut it hauling a travel trailer. While you may have the money to piddle away on the depreciation of the MH and buying/outfitting a pickup to haul a 5th wheeler I'm sure you'd would rather be spending it on something else.

My companion up front is one of the dogs. My wife either sits in the recliner, or on the sofa and reads, or works on her laptop. She likes being able to use the restroom, or make a sandwich if we get hungry. If she get tired she goes back to the master bedroom and takes a nap. Benadryl works wonders for motion sickness. We drive a Jaguar at home and yes, it's a much smoother ride, but then again we can't sleep, cook, eat, or watch TV in it.

If you're bound and determined to get a trailer I'd do like the others have said and rent one for a trip and I don't mean an overnighter. Then decide if you're up to taking a thrashing on an early trade. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a