Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Motion sickness is usually worse when you're a passenger, and not as much of an issue for the driver. Have you considered having her drive while you tend to the kid?

What he said!!!!

During the trip, she drives, and you watch the kids. The wife won't get motion sickness, and you get to keep the class A. When you find something that controls the motion sickness, now you're in a much better situatuion with two drivers. I will be very envious, as my wife does not drive our Bay Star.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #44

My wife doesn't want to drive… I know I thought it would help but its a no-go. She's a race car driver type anyhow, and probably not best to have her drive anyhow :-)

I really like having the class A, and wondering if now I could do a few small things to improve the ride enough for her for marginal cost/time.
I'm thinking
1- "Cheap Handling Fix" Dealer i'm guessing could/would do this for free or marginal labor charge.
2- rear track bar, wind sway really bothers her.
3 -Safe -t Plus sterring control.. (I get wandering over 60mph or so)
Possible 4 - Koni shocks (at least in the front) road seams suck on our current ride. Tires are currently proper at 85lbs all around.

less than $1500 or so parts+ labor might give me just enough edge on the handling/ride that it will be more do-able for the wife.

And yes wife was on board at the dealer during test drives etc, but perhaps now feels different on a 300 mile drive ;-)

Old 04-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Well, you have on your side that she has risen in it at its worst. After the fixes she may very well think, "this ain't so bad" saving you thousands! . Good luck.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
My wife doesn't want to drive… I know I thought it would help but its a no-go. She's a race car driver type anyhow, and probably not best to have her drive anyhow :-)

I really like having the class A, and wondering if now I could do a few small things to improve the ride enough for her for marginal cost/time.
I'm thinking
1- "Cheap Handling Fix" Dealer i'm guessing could/would do this for free or marginal labor charge.
2- rear track bar, wind sway really bothers her.
3 -Safe -t Plus sterring control.. (I get wandering over 60mph or so)
Possible 4 - Koni shocks (at least in the front) road seams suck on our current ride. Tires are currently proper at 85lbs all around.

less than $1500 or so parts+ labor might give me just enough edge on the handling/ride that it will be more do-able for the wife.

And yes wife was on board at the dealer during test drives etc, but perhaps now feels different on a 300 mile drive ;-)
Hmmm, I kinda assumed that the "new" A's came with a lot of the items listed. You are right, if you don't have the track bar and the Safe-t-plus...get them. Up grading the shocks is also a good call. Don't be surprised if she still says...unhunh...nope...nada...still sick...........
Old 04-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #47

There have been a lot of comments for you but I can't help thinking that 10' away when traveling with little children is about right.
There is really nothing that you can do to that small of motor home to make it drive like a car. You can make it better for sure, but the ford gasser depends on rpms to make horsepower to climb hills. The suspension will just be rough on bad roads. Konis will make a difference and so will softer tires like Michelin. When you are done you will still have a hard riding Ford truck chassis. I had a 36' Georgie Boy for a few years and spent a lot of time insulating from noise and engine heat. On a smooth road, it was great. On a rough road, you just wanted to be somewhere else. We now have a 38' dp and the difference is night and day. On a really rough road it is just rough. We will not travel any other way now.

However, If you like to get away for the weekend with small children then camping is the best way. They will have plenty of room to play and there are usually other kids around. I wished we had started when our kids were little. You do not have that much invested at this point and a TT has it's own list of nuisance deals.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #48

Go test drive a DP with wife
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Go test drive a DP with wife
That's what I'm scared of!!!! Hahaha
Old 04-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
It may be that for the next few years your camping will be within a zone that has less than 300 miles of travel. Many folks who fultime say they travel about 200 miles a day and then stay for a day or two.

There are many things to see and do in the local area if you look for them. Going to big attractions before the children are old enough to appreciate them could be postponed for a few years.

Dont forget this tending age will pass quicker than you think. It will seem like a blink from diapers to wanting to use the car.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #51

Our first rv was a 35ft 2005 Georgie boy gas . My wife would not ride in the front passenger seat. She said it scared her. Now we have Mandalay DP 42ft and she rides in the passenger seat and has no problems. Many be you can find a class A that has two reclining chairs so that she can ride in back and also have the babies right there.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #52

If you're accepting that taking the hit to trade to a TT is acceptable, and now thinking of trying suspension upgrade, put a full Kelderman air suspension on the A first. A few grand, but still much cheaper than a trade.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #53

A trailer will definitely fix the motion sickness caused by getting up and moving around because she can't get up period not to grab a drink or sandwich and she sure can't use the bathroom. Save your money and buy an older diesel pusher w air ride and air brakes. Problems solved.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #54

If you are going to get a TT I suggest getting a 3/4 ton truck. Will the hemi in you jeep pull it? Absolutely. Will it pull it safely in the southern Cali mountains? I would not risk my family to find out.
My brother has a 28 or 29 foot TT. He had a durango with a hemi and a suburban with a v8. He quickly traded both for a 3/4 ton truck because its a lot safer. We are in the flat lands of Nebraska. Not climbing mountains in Cali. That is something you need to think about.
I don't want the last thing going through your mind coming off one of the steep grades to be "but the dealer told me this jeep could handle it"
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes to the first question. Keep the class A and adapt.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #56

Hi,
I had a 39ft diesel when my wife was pregnant. The ride was great but she did not like it. During that time we only camped once. I think its due to pregnancy. I would think over before trade. Just my 2 cents.

Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a