Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

Selling my 1yo class A for TT?!?

I'm seriously thinking of selling my 1yo fleetwood terra se for a 26-29' TT.

Am I crazy?
I know I'll lose a ton on selling/trade in but the class A is just hard to travel for my wife/ family.

We have a 1.5yo kid with another on the way and they are just so hard to tend to on the drive. We seat our son in the dinnete currently in his car seat a good 8-10' behind my wife who has to tend to him.

She gets motion sickness when she's up in about in the class a.

Plus it's a gasser so the ride isn't stellar. I currently tow a 05' jeep GC behind. That has a v8 hemi in it. Thinking of using the jeep to pull the travel trailer.

However. I have never pulled anything super heavy with the jeep. It's tow capacity is 7,000

Hemi puts out some serious horsepower and torque.

I live in so cal and lots of mountains. Will a jeep be a dog on uphills? Can't be much worse than a roaring v10 under my feet at 4000rpm and 45mph up the hill I'm currently doing.

Am I crazy to downgrade and take the hit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't answer your question directly but will give my perspective on towing with the GC. I had one when I purchased a 28ft. TT. I towed it with the GC for a few miles. It was squrirrelly. The short wheelbase did not inspire confidence. I did not like it. I traded the GC for a truck. If you do proceed, I suggest staying on the shorter lighter side of a TT. Test tow if possible. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We are all crazy and take hits, welcome to the club Like Rcdukes said it is a pretty short wheelbased vehicle and also like he said take it for a tow on the highway before you commit. Only you know what is best for your family. I have lost THOUSANDS over the last 20 years on trading rv's, it is just a part of life. Anyone who claims they haven't lost I call bull poop! LOL

Good luck and do some homework and don't let the dealer beat you up. Lots of dealers would be willing to trade a tt for a Class A its just a matter of how fair they will treat you.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also have a Jeep GC with the Hemi, I have no doubt you can pull a travel trailer, the engine has lots of power and the transmission is strong. My sister has the same model jeep and pulls a smaller TT, don't know the weight though.

My concern would be the braking, the jeep isn't that heavy to pull a heavy load. I know that the TT would have brakes but still a concern, especially in wet conditions.

If you've ever been pushed down a hill on a curve you won't forget it.

Possibly the simplest and cheapest solution is get motion sickness pills for your wife
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I also have a Jeep GC with the Hemi, I have no doubt you can pull a travel trailer, the engine has lots of power and the transmission is strong. My sister has the same model jeep and pulls a smaller TT, don't know the weight though.

My concern would be the braking, the jeep isn't that heavy to pull a heavy load. I know that the TT would have brakes but still a concern, especially in wet conditions.

If you've ever been pushed down a hill on a curve you won't forget it. Thats for CERTAIN! and scary it is

Possibly the simplest and cheapest solution is get motion sickness pills for your wife LOL, that would be the cheapest
Truer words never spoken!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

I agree, a short wheelbase vehicle towing a decent length TT can be a bit unnerving. I pulled a 30' total length trailer with a full size 99 Ford Lightning F150 and it was brutal. Same trailer with a 2002 F250 supercab was completely manageable and easy. HUGE difference...
Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

You can probably tow a TT behind the Jeep, but it will be squirrelly as mentioned. The other point is it will drastically cut your mileage. We normally get 17 MPG with our Tundra truck. Hooking up a U-Haul trailer to it dropped the mileage to 11-12 MPG.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

We towed a 21' hybrid behind an FJ for a year. It's a smaller engine and smaller wheelbase so not much of a comparison. We travel with two dogs and now have a young'n on the way. Some of the things you'll miss are being able to move about in the RV, cleaning, feeding, taking care of things while still driving. If you need anything from the TT, you'll need to stop and go to the TT to get things. There's no stretching your legs, getting something from the fridge, etc. while sitting in the jeep. You'll also lose the class A storage, which is very handy.

I can't imagine getting rid of the class A for a TT. Don't forget the additional set-up and tear-down time needed for a TT. By the time my neighbor has backed into his spot I'm finished hooking up and done.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
WOW, sorry to hear that. This is the exact opposite from us but I guess everyone is different and has different situations. We started with a TT and hated having to stop to tend to our son, not that he needed much attending to though.

When we got our first motorhome my wife loved the fact that she could jump up and tend to him or sit with him for a bit while I drove. Grabbed him snacks or changed a diaper or whatever. By the time he was about 4 he was a seasoned traveler and just sat at the couch seatbelted in playing with his Legos for hours on end.

As far as towing the TT with the GC, I would reconsider that. The engine may be able to handle it being a Hemi but short wheelbase and not as large a brake rotors/calipers on full-size truck I would be worried. My BIL/SIL towed a 26' HR Alumi-Lite for a season with a Durango which is even a bit longer wheelbase and hated it. Slightest breeze and he was white-knuckling it and scared to death.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

Personally, I think it would be a bad move and when you find out the TT doesn't work out you'll lose money again. If your hell bent on doing that, I would at least rent a travel trailer and try it out with the Jeep, but you'll find you probably will need a truck to pull it and be out some more money. Like one poster put it. Motion sickness pills for Mom.....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
We towed a 21' hybrid behind an FJ for a year. It's a smaller engine and smaller wheelbase so not much of a comparison. We travel with two dogs and now have a young'n on the way. Some of the things you'll miss are being able to move about in the RV, cleaning, feeding, taking care of things while still driving. If you need anything from the TT, you'll need to stop and go to the TT to get things. There's no stretching your legs, getting something from the fridge, etc. while sitting in the jeep. You'll also lose the class A storage, which is very handy.

I can't imagine getting rid of the class A for a TT. Don't forget the additional set-up and tear-down time needed for a TT. By the time my neighbor has backed into his spot I'm finished hooking up and done.
I was thinking the same thing... in addition to, 'buying a TT that would comfortably accommodate a growing family, the size and weight would probably exceed the Jeep's capabilities.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions. How about a TT in the 21'-25' range? More do-able with the grand cherokee? Wife just really hates riding in the class A. Hates the ride/bumps, engine noise, wind blowing us around like a sail. So much so she has said she'd rather drive the toad to where we are going. I have a feeling she'd be fine in a diesel pusher ride but I'm not going there.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. How about a TT in the 21'-25' range? More do-able with the grand cherokee? Wife just really hates riding in the class A. Hates the ride/bumps, engine noise, wind blowing us around like a sail. So much so she has said she'd rather drive the toad to where we are going. I have a feeling she'd be fine in a diesel pusher ride but I'm not going there.
If the wife hates riding in a Class A, whether gas or diesel, then that sounds like it is more the issue.

Like suggested rent a TT and take a trip first then decide on the sale of the Class A. She may find out she likes the Class A better than the TT, who knows.

My wife likes sitting up high above the traffic and seeing the scenery without sitting down in between a semi or road barrier but again, different strokes.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #14

Yeah she drives a mercedes SUV for her daily driver and has become quite accustomed to that ride quality. Honestly class a gassers ride like fedex delivery trucks. Probably cause it's nearly the same chassis. We've made 6-7 trips so far in our new class a. And only once or twice have we ever needed to get up and "get something". With kids we have to stop every 4hours or so anyhow to strech legs etc.
since I paid half down when I purchased our terra se I should have enough equity to do a straight trade for a TT I hope.

Tags
class a