Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sell it yourself. Watch out for scammers. There was someone in FT Meyers who was listing MH that he didn't have. Another so called dealer in FLorida offers to sell MH's for a small fee. A monthly lot fee, plus all advertising costs and a 15% commission. Once he has the unit he baggers people to bring in the title so he can easily show a prospective buyer a clear title. Then when he doesn't sell your unit he puts a lien on the title and refuses to release your Mh.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I decided to give Craigslist a try. I like the fact that you don't have to post your email or phone #. I'll report back any negative experiences if any.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #17

Some notes about Craigslist:

Most of your replies will be from "spammers," not necessarily "scammers." All they want is a reply from you. They will ask innocuous questions. "Still have this item?" "What's your final price?" "Is this item still available?" "What condition is this in?" "Does it have jacks?" Does it have a generator?"

You get the idea. Usually the question has been answered in the ad. They do not care how you respond. You can pull all the clever tricks you want. Does not matter to them. All they want is for you to reply. Because they then have your email address. Which is all the wanted. They get paid (my best guess is 5 to 13 cents) for each legitimate email address they can mine. These addresses (now verified) then go to the real scammers, who then get serious trying to scam real people. And it must be worth it to them, they just keep coming.

Yes, your email address is not listed in your ad. So you can see all the inquiries anonymously. But when you choose to respond, you then choose to give them your email address. Your choice.

Yes, craigslist is a wonderful tool. And a really good way to sell many things. A lot depends on what part of the country you are in. Just be aware.

Again, just my humble opinion (and experience).

GL Arnold
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I use Craigslist quite a lot. A couple of things I have learned about scammers is; They always want to send you a cashiers check or money order, or they use very poor English writing & grammar. They will respond by email more than if you give them a phone # and ask buyers to contact you by text or phone call. I use to get several emails a day by people wanting to send a cashiers check for the full amount of the selling price & have someone else pick up the merchandise. By text or phone I get about 1 a week & I have several listing that are on going. Also remember to check your listing through your account about every other day & update it. This will put it back to the top of the list. You should have several more pictures you can send to prospective buyers already on your computer or cell phone due to being only allowed 8 pics on the listing. This will make it easier for you & show the buyer that you are not hiding any thing.

Good Luck, I hope you have a positive experience with your sale & it goes quickly for you.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's like whack-a-mole. You never know where they will turn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Do the same scammers that are on Craigslist hang out on Ebay ?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I use a throw away email, that I close after I'm done with it to prevent scammers/scammers from obtaining my real email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Some notes about Craigslist:

All they want is for you to reply. Because they then have your email address. Which is all the wanted. They get paid (my best guess is 5 to 13 cents) for each legitimate email address they can mine. These addresses (now verified) then go to the real scammers, who then get serious trying to scam real people. And it must be worth it to them, they just keep coming.

Yes, your email address is not listed in your ad. So you can see all the inquiries anonymously. But when you choose to respond, you then choose to give them your email address. Your choice.

GL Arnold

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #21

Always reply to buyer using the listing co. [IE creigs list] they will not give out your email to buyer. That is how it is here when I use Kijiji Free ads. Works great. If you reply direct to buyer they now have your email.
Good luck
rebel
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
Always reply to buyer using the listing co. [IE creigs list] they will not give out your email to buyer. That is how it is here when I use Kijiji Free ads. Works great. If you reply direct to buyer they now have your email.
Good luck
rebel
That's the way Craigslist works. You use their email address both ways. The only thing the buyer gets is your name. I'm going to try and change this and as Route 66 said , set up another email address.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
ibid this post whole heartedly. Craig's list works. Just sold my RV sofa on craig's list. Take good photos and describe it positively.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just received two emails worded exactly the same from two different addresses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2790605158.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	45142

They both came through the Craigslist email acct ( thankfully ) and they both went to my spam.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #25

your email address when some one replies to your ad:

From the craigslist faq section:

"Q: How do anonymous craigslist addresses (similar to abcde-1234567890@sale.craigslist.org) work?

A: Posters to craigslist can choose to use a temporary craigslist address to receive responses.

As long as the post is still active, craigslist will relay any messages sent to the temporary address to the poster's actual email address.

Note: When you reply to a post, your email address will be visible to the recipient. If you prefer to remain anonymous, consider using an email address that does not contain your name or other identifying information. "

As I said earlier, if you choose to reply at all, they then have your email address, which was their goal to begin with. Smart-alec comments do not affect them. They love it. All they want is a reply. Any reply gives them what they are seeking. If you feel you must reply, post the ad from another email address (a throw-away). They don't want gmail addresses, and will often ask for a "real" email address.

Do what you wish, but be advised, all they want is your "real" email address.

Again, JMHO.

GL Arnold
Old 09-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
Considering selling our 2005 Fleetwood Providence DP 18K due to health issues. What is the best way to do this? I do not have any time constraints. If I pass it off on consignment what percentage rates are typical? Any information is helpful. Thanks Rocky
I have used Craigslist for many big ticket items and never had a problem.. I have sold many items and I have bought many including my present motorhome. Post a good ad with all the pictures allowed, price the unit at a price you would buy it for and see what happens. Use Craigslist email service and sell the unit cash only. You will sell it!
Good luck..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of good info on here about selling on CL. One last thing. Always meet in a public place . More people around the better. Best by a store or Post Office with security cameras. If I were going sell out of my driveway I would make sure that several of my friends were there. Hopefully at least one of them armed. There are people who have been robbed/murdered buying/selling on CL. RARE, but it does happen. Be safe.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #28

I have my low mileage, very clean 2003 Pace Arrow 37A with Workhorse chassis listed on Craig's List and RVT.com. Its been listed now for over 2 months, so far no calls! I know I'm a little high, but this MH needs nothing!

Stano

Stano is offline   Reply With Quote