Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
I have my low mileage, very clean 2003 Pace Arrow 37A with Workhorse chassis listed on Craig's List and RVT.com. Its been listed now for over 2 months, so far no calls! I know I'm a little high, but this MH needs nothing!

Stano
The key word you said is high. Price it for what you would pay for it and it will sell..

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've sold two privately. First one on RV Trader, second on Craigslist. Both times we were happy with the results. If I were to sell one again I'd first try Craigslist, then if it doesn't sell try RV Trader or eBay for a wider audience.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #31

price on Pace Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
I have my low mileage, very clean 2003 Pace Arrow 37A with Workhorse chassis listed on Craig's List and RVT.com. Its been listed now for over 2 months, so far no calls! I know I'm a little high, but this MH needs nothing!

Stano
Stano - you didn't ask for advice, so I'm not offering any.

Just a little information. It looks like you're priced high.

NADA average is $51,110. Low is $42,420. And that's with adding $5K for low mileage. Unfortunately, add-ons get no credit. Buyers are supposed to be willing to pay the half-way point - about $47,000. Again, unfortunately, with the market as it is, buyers seem to be willing to pay only up to 20% under NADA low, with no options counted - we're talking around $34,000 here. And a dealer will offer roughly 30% under low.

I know, that's not what you want to hear.

If you look at SOLD RV's on Ebay, you will see that, on average, they bring prices that amount to 20-30% below NADA low, with no allowance for add-ons or for low mileage. The ones listed for sale are at a higher number. They also don't sell.

Don't take my word for it. Check it out.

If you're like us, you can't afford that kind of hit.

We'll just hang on to ours and make the payments.

JMHO.

GL Arnold
Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #32

We purchased our 2000 American Tradition on ebay that was listed at a reasonable price, flew to Florida, paid and drove back to Indiana. Did it need work? Yes, and we anticipated that, but the price we paid was about 60% of what a dealer wanted for the same coach. I found the dealers who had consignment coaches were pretty rigid in their asking price. Guess they were going to lose commission. The consignment coaches that we placed an offer on are still setting on the lots, unsold!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This could be an option for you.
Liberty Coach Opens up Motorhome Exchange

Print
September 3, 2013 by RV Business Leave a Comment

Liberty Coach has opened The Motorhome Exchange, an exclusive dealership operation specializing in preowned motorcoaches and select Class A motorhomes.
According to press release, the new venture shares space with Liberty Coach’s full service dealership in Stuart, Fla.
“Our goal is to offer a level of service as elite as the vehicles we handle,” said dealership manager Dave Wall. “With Liberty’s backing, we have the ability to pay sellers cash for their coaches and arrange financing for buyers at very favorable rates. We can guarantee fair pricing and access to the best service in the industry. And maybe most importantly, all of our inventory is available for viewing upon request – something that is extremely rare in the preowned marketplace.”
The Motorhome Exchange offers a “secure seven-acre lot where inventory is stored.
“Every coach is kept plugged in at all times,” Wall said. “Prospective buyers can schedule a showing for any coach at their convenience. ”That’s a welcome departure from the standard broker sales model that dominates the preowned market.”
The Motorhome Exchange does not charges sellers anything upfront and goes to “extraordinary lengths” to negotiate a sale that benefits buyer and seller alike, according to the release.
“Every coach in our inventory is thoroughly inspected, detailed to our own high standards, and priced fairly,” Wall said.
Wall reported that since the dealership’s opening in July, it has had closed sales on five coaches with two more pending. And he anticipates more of the same in the months ahead.
For more information, visit http://www.themotorhomeexchange.com or call Wall directly at (855) 334-4522.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mrock,
Consider a different solution. Don't sell the coach. Find an RV resort where you like the area (lots to do), purchase a lot and set the coach on the lot. That's what I've done and it is working quite well. You are within a days drive (by car) from many RV resorts. It all depends on the health issue and your view of how you want to spend your time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
cragislist

we have had good luck with cragislist bought two motorhomes our toad
tow bar base plate a scooter and a golf cart and a deeded rv lot. all from cragis list ifeel you can get feel for people by the way they anwser you. i all way
ask for a phone # and call and ask for more imfo and pictures if they send them. them they are real people. true story i found our base plate tow bar
on cragislist in or.i called him made a deal had him send it to a friend in ga. showed up two days latter like new all the bolts wires saffty cables
ect all over the phone. point is there are a lot of good people out there.
good luck with your sale john
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
I didn't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating something. I have had success with Craigslist, but I put in my ad that all respondents provide their first name, email address and, most importantly, phone number. All sales are cash or wire transfer only.

Do not accept cashier's checks. I had a friend almost lose his Corvette by selling it to some one that paid by a stolen cashier's check.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Another vote for Craiglist

I have sold 2 travel trailers, 2 boats and 3 cars on craigslist. I bought my motorhome from craigslist ad. Bought toad that was advertised on this site's classifieds. Nice thing about Craigslit is buyers can choose their search perimeter. For example, I live in south eastern NC, sold 2 cars to someone here in town another to someone from outer banks of NC, folks from out of town bought both travel trailers. Bought my motorhome from florida, started search on Craigslist close to home and gradually expanded range, ended up in Florida.

Computers have changed the world of shopping and selling.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #38

IMHO Craigslist works and works great. The biggest inhibitor isn't the method, it is the price. When I was shopping for my used rig it was amazing the range of prices out there for similar units. I concluded there were a few types of sellers:
1. Dealers that ask high to negotiate from. VERY hard to do this remotely since you wont invest the time to get to the "right" price sight unseen. These rigs are 20% over market value. Perhaps AT NADA or higher. Often these dealers ONLY cater to local traffic to engage the sales routine.
2. Private party sellers that OWE x, even though market value is (0.75 * x). It is annoying as a buyer to deal with these folks. They are often on another planet and need a come to Jesus. I am not looking to be Jesus on their behalf so unless what they have is unique I ignore them.
3. High volume or low negotiation dealers. These are dealers that mark the price aggressively to get nationwide attention and have little wiggle room on price. I found a few of these and since they deal with remote purchasers often I found them to be pretty good at disclosing condition.
4. Realistic private party seller. I finally found one and got the deal done.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
IMHO Craigslist works and works great. The biggest inhibitor isn't the method, it is the price. When I was shopping for my used rig it was amazing the range of prices out there for similar units. I concluded there were a few types of sellers:
1. Dealers that ask high to negotiate from. VERY hard to do this remotely since you wont invest the time to get to the "right" price sight unseen. These rigs are 20% over market value. Perhaps AT NADA or higher. Often these dealers ONLY cater to local traffic to engage the sales routine.
2. Private party sellers that OWE x, even though market value is (0.75 * x). It is annoying as a buyer to deal with these folks. They are often on another planet and need a come to Jesus. I am not looking to be Jesus on their behalf so unless what they have is unique I ignore them.
3. High volume or low negotiation dealers. These are dealers that mark the price aggressively to get nationwide attention and have little wiggle room on price. I found a few of these and since they deal with remote purchasers often I found them to be pretty good at disclosing condition.
4. Realistic private party seller. I finally found one and got the deal done.

Chris
I agree with you analysis. I'm going through it now and can see all those types with the same thing I'm selling.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #40

You can also advertise it free at rvt.com
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #41
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
The key word you said is high. Price it for what you would pay for it and it will sell..
I, too, have bought and sold items including motorhomes on CL and don't forget Ebay. You have to price it right. If one could get it for that price from a dealer, then why should she/he buy it from you? Again, it is the price and of course the condition of the MH.

All the best!!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For those that had the buyer wire in the money ( great way to do it ) , what protection did the buyer get ? I'm sure they are concerned about being scammed as well. I would be .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote