Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Selling RV

Considering selling our 2005 Fleetwood Providence DP 18K due to health issues. What is the best way to do this? I do not have any time constraints. If I pass it off on consignment what percentage rates are typical? Any information is helpful. Thanks Rocky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

I have known dealers charge 10 to 20 percent plus advertising fees. You could try and sell yourself via online sites. Most offer selling templates and picture gallery. The fees(if any) are nominal and are explained upfront. You can actually advertise it on this site

Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
One local dealer I contacted charged 15% plus $500 inspection fee. I was going to list with him but the last straw was a $500 fee if I cancelled the consignment agreement anytime (i.e. if he didn't sell after 2 years, I still wasn't allowed to take my unit back unless I paid the $500 fee). I would have agreed to 90 days but not indefinitely. I don't commiting to leaving it with him for a reasonable amount of time or paying a penalty but to me over 90 days is not reasonable (although I probably would have accepted 6 months) - if he doesn't think he can sell for the price I want in that amount of time, he should just tell me and not accept the listing. As far as his advertising costs, to me that's just the price of doing business - even if he spends money advertizing my unit, he might still sell a different unit to buyers who see mine advertized.

Personally, if you aren't in a hurry, I'd just list at a resonable price (although every one's definition of resonable is different). If you want to sell at any cost asap, I'd list with no reserve on eBay at the rock bottom price you would consider accepting (another strategy could be start at whatever price ($1, $1000, etc) with a reserve but personally, I never bid on any eBay auction with a reserve (I just find it a waste of time since I don't know if the reserve is even a price I'd consider).
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #4

I've never sold an RV, but when I do my primary path will be to put the iconic "For Sale" signs in some windows and use the RV as often as possible. Potential customers will be far more impressed seeing it in use rather than sitting on a lot, and many folks (often older) can be intimidated by online listing services or don't have access to a computer. Also, scammers like computers...JMHO
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
List it on Craigslist. Costs you nothing and has lots of exposure. List it in surrounding areas as well as your own as people will travel to see it. Good pictures and some good text to go in the add. Be realistic with price.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just sold a 5th wheel. I listed it on Craigslist and RVTrader.com. I sold it from the RVTrader.com ad. Their rates are very reasonable, especially the one where they run it until it sells!

If you list it on Craigslist you will be bombarded with scam offers! I always replied to them saying I could only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and mine. Never heard from them again!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

My experience has been that consignments are for the advantage of the dealer. Usually, an upfront cost ($200-$900) and a percentage, usually ten or more. No cost to the dealer for the inventory, and no wear & tear on their vehicle by lookers. Oh, and if a problem occurs, guess who gets to pay for the repair?

Also, in my experience, craigslist produces a lot of useless responses, with a very few that can be productive. And a few that can cause problems.

My preference has been Motor Home Brokers (google it and view). You can list it with them for a fee of 2% (after it sells), and they put it on 20 to 30 other Internet sites, as well. You're not bothered by tire kickers, they take all the inquiries, and send you the contact info when they get responses. (I'm not connected, just a satisfied customer). Nothing up front, nothing until sold, and you have full use of your RV.

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
My experience has been that consignments are for the advantage of the dealer. Usually, an upfront cost ($200-$900) and a percentage, usually ten or more. No cost to the dealer for the inventory, and no wear & tear on their vehicle by lookers. Oh, and if a problem occurs, guess who gets to pay for the repair?

Also, in my experience, craigslist produces a lot of useless responses, with a very few that can be productive. And a few that can cause problems.

My preference has been Motor Home Brokers (google it and view). You can list it with them for a fee of 2% (after it sells), and they put it on 20 to 30 other Internet sites, as well. You're not bothered by tire kickers, they take all the inquiries, and send you the contact info when they get responses. (I'm not connected, just a satisfied customer). Nothing up front, nothing until sold, and you have full use of your RV.

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
I think that's the best advise. With Craigslist you get a lot of people trying to scam you out of your stuff without paying for it. It is well worth paying for someone to screen the tire kickers, especially if your health is not well.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We sold our last MH on eBay. Be honest and Describe everything in detail, take lots of pictures, and put a realistic price on it. We sold it to a couple from Wisconsin. They flew to Oregon and we meet them at the airport with the MH. We gave them a good rundown on all of the systems, they paid in cash, (as we requested) and they drove it back to Wisconsin.
They we more than happy with their purchase.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do the same scammers that are on Craigslist hang out on Ebay ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I think that's the best advise. With Craigslist you get a lot of people trying to scam you out of your stuff without paying for it. It is well worth paying for someone to screen the tire kickers, especially if your health is not well.

Chuck
I have never sold a motorhome on Craigslist but have sold many other items including a tractor and backhoe. What the others have said about scammers is true but there are also good honest people who are looking for a product at a reasonable cost. I have had several call me and want to arrange for someone else to pick up the item and it's obviously a scam. If they are only texting you it is a scam. I have always said come see it and bring cash. If they are serious, they will bring cash or go to their bank and arrange wire transfer. Do not discount the power of Craigslist. I have sold most everything on ebay or craigslist except ebay is getting ridiculous. Good Luck.
Richard
Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommendef Craigslist previously in this thread. I have sold cars, trucks, motor home, and many other items via Craigslist. I seldom get a scammer but yes do so occasionally. Refuse anything that is not a face to face sale, only accept cash payment in full. The scammers go away straight away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

Speaking from a BUYERS perspective...

We purchased our "used" Discovery from Craigslist last December. Before making our decision, we also talked at length with one other Discovery SELLER, but could not reach an agreement on that one. Both were listed on Craigslist.

To me, I wanted to deal with the OWNER not a Salesman. I wanted to ask certain questions only an OWNER could answer.

As mentioned by others, DO NOT discount Craigslist unless you truly are computer illiterate. The fact that you can post a question HERE on this forum (computer-driven) tells me getting your listing up and running for FREE on Craigslist would NOT be difficult for you. So what are you waiting for? Selling anything is a pain, you just have to sort through the flakes! But there are REAL BUYERS out there.

Is dealing with "Dealers" any less a pain? Remember, only YOU can allow yourself to be scammed!

Best of luck on your final decision.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

DW and I sold a motorhome a year or so ago through Craigslist, and when done, decided that if we ever did it again we would do anything and pay any reasonable cost to avoid not dealing directly with buyers, tire kickers and scammers. The worse to deal with were the "experts" who wanted to argue about what price was fair for what we were selling, even after being told what our best price was and that we would not negotiate further. We sold in about 45 days, at a price near dealer retail, but it was not a very pleasant time.

We will be selling again in another year or so, and will either sell directly to a dealer or on consignment.