Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #1

Selling your RV

I'm asking for opinions. I have my RV listed on several sites for sale. I have included over 100 pictures along with contact info. I have even offered to pick people up at the nearest airport; 130 mile round trip; at no additional costs.
Is it reasonable to ask for a non-refundable deposit; like $1500/2500; for someone who says they want to buy it and want a few days to arrange financing and transportation to my motorhome?
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #2

Perfectly reasonable I think. When buying a stick house good faith deposits are normal, with the exception of it being refundable if they can't get financing. But having second thoughts is not refundable.
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
Perfectly reasonable I think. When buying a stick house good faith deposits are normal, with the exception of it being refundable if they can't get financing. But having second thoughts is not refundable.
I would think with the price of motorhomes today, even used ones, that a person would have financing at least approved prior to looking and making offers to know what they can afford. The idea with non-refundable is you are taking the coach off the market, doing a final fresh up/cleaning, arranging your schedule for pickup and showing, making arrangement with your own bank for title transfer, etc. I would agree if the prospective buyer shows up and the unit is not as represented, or a major problem shows up the deposit should be refunded.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

If I stood to lose a $1500 - $2500 "deposit" on something that I'd never seen . . . I'd just rent a car at the airport and make the 65 mile drive to see it myself.

Having a lot of pictures and info is good. I'd have trouble buying without seeing it in person and I don't know if I'd go through the expense of flying somewhere to see something without knowing that it would be there for me to buy when I got there. I guess you have to protect yourself AND make terms that the potential buyer can live with.

Without knowing the details (and price range) of what you're selling it's hard to offer more advice.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

Have you considered an escrow service like Escrow.com? They hold the money til the deal is done and everyone feels 'safe'.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only way to find out is ask the person who is going to buy it. If they don't care to do that explain to them that if some one else comes along with cash in hand you will sell it to that person.
On vehicles I've sold I would hold it 24 hours without deposit. After that it was available to the next person, if one existed.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lot of lookers out there. I think if people are interested a deposit is very fair. When we were selling people would say they were on there way and never show up.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

What ever you do, do not send money to anyone for any reason. Predators will offer to pay full price, send you a money order or cert cheque for more then price of coach and request you send the difference in cash in order for shipping to be arranged. People do fall for this. I know one. Certified cheques are counterfeited alot and the bank teller cant tell the difference.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

Having just bought a used RV from another state where I had to travel, if the seller had of asked for a NON REFUNDABLE deposit, I would have passed. I would have considered a small, refundable one.

It is very much a buyers market and to make it anything but easy for the buyer to buy would I believe hurt your selling opportunity.
I think is is very reasonable to advise that if someone comes along prior to the buyer getting to see the RV and make the decision, you would have to take the offer, or at least give him a call and give him 24 hours to buy.

In my case, I traveled from LA to Dallas and there were two coaches that were the same, one year apart, so I had some options. When I finally got to Dallas two weeks later, both were still avialable, but the condition of one was significantly better and I was able to get a lower price.

In today's difficult market, making it easy for the buyer to buy may be just as important as price.

Good luck

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

Thanks for your responses so far; keep them coming. I guess I'm just frustrated over a recent incident where a potential buyer said she was going to buy; spent hours on the phone, several e-mails, additional pictures, changed my travel plans, spent an entire day removing my things and cleaning the coach w/o a deposit and then find out she can't get financing even thou she spent hours telling me how great her credit was. I guess I'm just trying how to determine if someone is realy serious or just a tire kicker. I realize its a buyers market and have my coach priced far below NADA and other similar units on the market.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
Having just bought a used RV from another state where I had to travel, if the seller had of asked for a NON REFUNDABLE deposit, I would have passed. I would have considered a small, refundable one.

It is very much a buyers market and to make it anything but easy for the buyer to buy would I believe hurt your selling opportunity.
I think is is very reasonable to advise that if someone comes along prior to the buyer getting to see the RV and make the decision, you would have to take the offer, or at least give him a call and give him 24 hours to buy.

In my case, I traveled from LA to Dallas and there were two coaches that were the same, one year apart, so I had some options. When I finally got to Dallas two weeks later, both were still avialable, but the condition of one was significantly better and I was able to get a lower price.

In today's difficult market, making it easy for the buyer to buy may be just as important as price.

Good luck

Rick
I bought my current coach on Ebay; paid a $1500 deposit and traveled from Fl to Tx never having seen the coach in person. I must say I was a little concerned when my check was cashed before I showed up, However, the seller offered and did pick me up at the airport and had 100+ pictures on Ebay. It truned out OK even though I had to replace all the batterys the next week and a lot of little things needed repair. I guess thats part of buying a used coach. But I agree with you. The best thing might be a refundable depost if the coach doesn't match expectations.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ever consider going the consignment route through a dealer? May be worth considering & losing the hassle of FSBO...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #13

Having bought a mh from craigs listing, i would agree that most will not buy if they stand to lose 1,500 to 2,500 dollars. The mhs we looked at were held for us to inspect without posting a deposit, otherwise, we would not have made the trips,4 in all. It is a buyers market for mhs now and especially with gas prices high and rising and for something that gets 6-8 mpg, you need to make it as easy as possible.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

I agree that you must make it as easy as possible for a buyer. Yes, you'll waste time with some folks, but that's partially your fault for not properly qualifying them. No need to spend "hours" on the phone, simply answer their questions and have them come see the coach. It truly is a buyer's market, and your coach better be immaculate, and priced right. Little issues that you think are no big deal may certainly be a big deal to a buyer. No one wants to buy someones problem, or someones dirt. Clean it until it literally looks new. Get rid of cutesy "decor" items. Presentation is extremely important, and in my experience, very few sellers understand that. We recently bought our latest RV, a very, very nice diesel pusher, on eBay. Didn't see it until we went to pick it up (2000 miles away...) The seller had a decent online presentation, and surprisingly did not want a deposit. Plus, we bought it for a good $9000-10000 under apparent market value. Plenty of room to do any necessary repairs, etc.

If your coach isn't selling, it's either priced too high, or doesn't appeal to buyers.