Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
MY FATHER WAS A PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER HIS ENTIRE WORKING LIFE UNTIL RETIREMENT. He used to say all the drivers he knew were the knights of the road, but near retirement he said that his opinion had changed due to insurance companies, company policies, and the cost cutting throttle jockies that needed to screw everyone in order to make their payments.

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #30
Here in Utah we have seen a noticeable increase in accidents involving hazmat material--crude oil that spills into streams or a case where the truck went into a reservoir used for drinking water. How do you recover from these senseless preventable situations? All accidents are bad enough, but ones that destroy our natural environment really work me up.

2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #31
I forgot to mention the truck that went into the reservoir was carrying a load of turkey's...no survivors other than the driver...
2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #32
I am a retired truck driver of over 33 years. One of the reasons I quit driving a truck was because of the lack of common sense and courtesy of the drivers out there. All of them, cars, trucks and RV's too. The younger truck drivers are just out there for the paycheck. It's not the career it used to be. I was proud in the fact that I had 33years of accident and ticket free driving. Today these young guys don't give a damn.

I don't like getting trapped or boxed in by another driver. I always like a "way out". If some idiot does box me in I'll usually just back out of it and let him do his dumb stuff and pass him later suppressing the urge to give him the one fingered salute. "give me another blood pressure pill please dear".
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #33
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I don't sweat the small stuff. Drive safely and "arrive alive."
Does not seem to matter what speed you are driving, There is always someone going 10 mph slower or 20 faster. I try to cruise at 63mph because of the toad limit. The ones that pass you at 100 mph and then slow down in front of you are annoying.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #34

Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
IMHO when an OTR trucker is attempting to pass you and is making little or no progress, and you see that there are vehicles lined up behind him, you should show your experience and maturity and slow down and let him in.
I also slow down and let them back over - also flash headlights to let them know I won't be surprised if they pull in front of me.

Yes there are many inexperienced new truckers but I suspect there are many more inexperienced RV'rs on the highways.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drive 55 so everyone is passing me. I don't like it when they pass me then slow down. I'll repass them. Tailgaters worry me the most.
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
Country Coach Owners Club
If you're getting irritated you missing the concept of traveling in an RV. Drive safe, drive smart, and get off the interstate and see the country.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #37
As in all industries, there are experienced professionals and then there are the rest of them.......
9 years plowing snow on Hwy 97 and I still pull over to make sure I have removed the 'Pull out in front of me and do something stupid' sign from the front of the truck. I used to wonder what the driver was thinking, now I realize they're not thinking.
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
I drove for years and one thing that I noticed is that you can be travelling along at the posted speed and approaching a hill and and so many times the rv or car or what ever will slow down before the hill. Wanting to keep your momentum you will pull into the fast lane to keep your speed and yet you can't get by the guy. If you slow down you usually don't just have to drop a gear, it winds up being two or three. People don't even realize that they do that and look at you for being the idiot. A lot of the same people will get picked at cars for not giving them a break when they are driving their rv whether it is a coach or truck and trailer.
I agree with many here that there are many truckers out there that should not be. They still all had to pass a cdl, most rvers don't.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #39
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by joraz View Post
Another way of looking at is that the interstate highway system was built for commercial trucks. We, in our cars and RVs are using it. Still kind of annoying though while locked in the cruise control battle someone mentioned. I usually say uncle.
You might want to go back and look that one up again. The interstate highway system is a national defense highway system. It was modeled after Hitlers AutoBahn. It was built to move military supplies from place to place in a hurry. President Ike was the father of the Interstate system.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #40
Whats more annoying is to be passing a truck and have a car in front of you holding 65 when the speed limit is 70. Once we get past the truck, he is still sitting there, so I pull back into the right lane to go around him. At that point he speeds up. I keep gently rolling on the throttle and he continues to speed up, trying to prevent me from passing. All the way up to 80 mph. No other vehicles around, so I dropped a gear and left him. I get away from people who are just out to cause trouble.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #41
National RV Owners Club
A normal run for a truck driver are often much longer than a normal rv'er. Sometimes on a just on time basis with big fines for being late. One or two mph over 8 or 10 hours may not sound like much but it might be the difference of being late or on time. Give the truck a break. It is not a glorious job and you do have some drivers that still have a lot to learn.
29surfsiderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
I have noticed a general declination of driver abilities and attitude over the last number of years. Not sure if it is the Y generation of me first or just a general decline in courtesy and common sense.

For sure there seems to be a general lack of situation awareness that occurs when some folks get behind the wheel. Cell phones, texting, etc have made drivers erratic and unpredictable. It is scary to be on the road!

I am aware of truckers running the hills. I do so with my 5er. As I near the bottom of the hill I accelerate and build a bit of momentum. I am in the power range where if I lose 5 miles an hour I can not gain it back. If I can get halfway up the hill before the truck starts gearing down I am happier than if I get pulled down by some yahoo busy chatting on the phone at 50 or 55 and then waking up to accelerate his car up the hill. Meanwhile I am back near the bottom 'pulling' the hill. It seems once I lose momentum I lose a lot.

I don't mind if a truck pulls up beside me at the bottom, He is doing the same thing I am and will quickly get eaten up by the hill - same as me. Generally I will pull ahead of him as he slows. If it becomes a side by side up the hill I will generally slow down as I like to crest the hill prepared to control my speed down.

Every situation is unique and the response has to be tailored at that time. I like (as in a previous post) to travel about 5 under the speed limit. All of the fast ones blast past and I arrive relaxed with extra fuel in the tank.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote