Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any clown that calls themselves a Professional Driver and then sits side by side on a grade with another vehicle , is a rookie at best.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Any clown that calls themselves a Professional Driver and then sits side by side on a grade with another vehicle , is a rookie at best.
Just curious how many years have you driven to be able to make a blanket statement like that?
I have 29 years driving trucks, sometimes it happens that you will get caught beside another vehicle going up hill. If you are the one paying for the fuel in a truck you do not want to slow down and lose your momentum that can get expensive at $3.80 a gallon and 6 miles to the gallon

srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
#1 - The interstate system WAS NOT built for over the road commercial truckers....originally built as the National Defense Highway System. Prime purpose was t provide for the rapid movement of defense forces across the US during times of national defense needs.
Sorry, long night so looked up new, to me, threads.

I believe the original use was layed out by the Secretary of Agriculture concurred by the Secretary of War in Toll Roads and Free Roads (4/27/39)
...national defense and the needs of a growing peacetime traffic of longer range.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #46

I was a trucker. I will tell you what is probably going on. When going down hill on the interstate I would give it heck so I could get up the next. If there was a slower vehicle ahead of me I go in the other lane as not to lose momentum. Even if I knew I could not pass. I did not want to slow down unless I had to.

Just stay where you are and don't worry about what the other guy is doing. If he passes he will pass. if he cant he wont.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #47

Keep Right Except to Pass and Pass with a Purpose is what I told my youngest daughter when teaching her to drive a few years ago (she is 17 now). From the information she provided me regarding the "Drivers Education" being taught now They forgot many of the rules of the road. After one episode of driving with her shortly after a "Drivers Ed" drive and she stomped on the gas as soon as she made a turn I quickly said "what ever the drivers ed teacher says for you to do. please to just the opposite." Thankfully they only require 6 hours of driving in Drivers Education and I put at least 100 hours sitting in the passenger seat with her. I think I won.

Rod
Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is the independent drivers that seem to be the idiot drivers. Professionals such as those that drive for Hunt never seem to do stupid things. My hat off to the drivers for J.B. Hunt they are the best. If you don't believe me observe those drivers.

Dennis
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I drove for years and one thing that I noticed is that you can be travelling along at the posted speed and approaching a hill and and so many times the rv or car or what ever will slow down before the hill. Wanting to keep your momentum you will pull into the fast lane to keep your speed and yet you can't get by the guy. If you slow down you usually don't just have to drop a gear, it winds up being two or three. People don't even realize that they do that and look at you for being the idiot. A lot of the same people will get picked at cars for not giving them a break when they are driving their rv whether it is a coach or truck and trailer.
I agree with many here that there are many truckers out there that should not be. They still all had to pass a cdl, most rvers don't.
A CDL alone does not make you a better driver than a person without a CDL. Common sense and experience wins every time!
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Just curious how many years have you driven to be able to make a blanket statement like that?
I have 29 years driving trucks, sometimes it happens that you will get caught beside another vehicle going up hill. If you are the one paying for the fuel in a truck you do not want to slow down and lose your momentum that can get expensive at $3.80 a gallon and 6 miles to the gallon
Amen - too many people make their statements on a 80,000 truck based on how they drive a 4000 lb car.

Wonder what would happen if you put a 20 hp in their car and turned them loose on the highway?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I was a trucker. I will tell you what is probably going on. When going down hill on the interstate I would give it heck so I could get up the next. If there was a slower vehicle ahead of me I go in the other lane as not to lose momentum. Even if I knew I could not pass. I did not want to slow down unless I had to.

Just stay where you are and don't worry about what the other guy is doing. If he passes he will pass. if he cant he wont.

What they said. Exactly true. Do your own thing as long as lives arent involved. Hills are not much of problem here, mostly big mountains and none of hte trucks pass, just turn on their flashers.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can pretty much figure out how many years I have been at it from my name Chuck 1935. I was not talking about getting "getting stuck on the outside". At 4 in the morning going into Flagstaff and sitting on the outside of another truck for miles, when you can clearly see that there is traffic behind you, that is more than a rookie move !
I am not one of those drivers that say they drive at 61 3/8 mph because it is safe . If the speed limit is 75, that's what I drive, plus a tad extra.
I know that Drivers have a hard job. I believe in sharing the road, not hogging it. You have to admit that many of today's OTR drivers can't be compared to the drivers of years past !
End of Rant :-)
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
You have to admit that many of today's OTR drivers can't be compared to the drivers of years past !
End of Rant :-)
IMO your sentence should be edited to say "...today's DRIVERS can't be compared to the drivers of years past." Some OTR truckers are far from the only idiots on the highways, as evidenced by many responses in this thread and the daily trips I take in my car. People are so angry, entitled and full of themselves; it's really pretty scary.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #54
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A few posts have been deleted as we don't allow personal attacks here. Lets continue discussing the details and not each other.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
A few posts have been deleted as we don't allow personal attacks here. Lets continue discussing the details and not each other.
Thanks
Cliff

Thank you Cliff
Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #56

Forget about the semi's they usually have enough power to pass and keep on going. Its the Motor Homes that put pedal to the metal white knuckles grasping the steering wheel and push for as much speed as they can to get around me and then once they pull back in front of me, they let their foot off of the pedal and slow down to a crawl. Why? Then we are both inching up that grade at slow speed. If you can't maintain the speed that it takes to pass someone don't even try.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote